Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    The legal position is pretty clear, if crew want to strike to support their colleagues, then their union will have to ballot WW or EF crew to decide if they want to do that. IF they win a mandate to do that then they will have to announce dates giving the required notice. If they wild cat strike in support then they are liable to be sacked, wildcat action was outlawed in the 80s.
    I was specifically speaking about non-union members.
    Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by strichener
    I was specifically speaking about non-union members.
    It would be a silly worker that absented themselves from work in support of their fellows on strike if they had no union protection, even then wild cat action is illegal
    Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:46 am

A friend who works at MAN just called to say strike next week is cancelled, lets hope this is true for everyone travelling next weekend.
    Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by MarkFlies
    I wonder does the legal permission to strike still stand. So if MF are not happy with the talks with BA, can they have a later strike? Or will they need to ballot again, say in July?

Sounds like BA want to keep their heads down and out of the newspapers.
    Hi Mark, yes it does. The union emailed us yesterday afternoon to say that they have accepted BA's invite to return to ACAS for more talks. The email also said that if the talks don't progress then our mandate is still live and further strike dates will be announced. Tentatively good news though that at least they're sat back around a table and I can do my trip at the weekend.
    Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:59 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by alwalk
    A friend who works at MAN just called to say strike next week is cancelled, lets hope this is true for everyone travelling next weekend.
    Thanks alwalk for posting this. Yes, it is true. If you look further up the topic you will see a BA crew member has confirmed it.
    Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
    Strike suspended for talks with ACAS, so a positive sign.

Interesting to see the union is taking legal action to have the benefits reinstated to the strikers.

Last edited by bhbloke; Jun 10, 2017 at 9:23 am Reason: spelling
    Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    According to the BBC 1400 have had their perks withdrawn
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
    Originally Posted by bhbloke
    Strike suspended for talks with ACAS, so a positive sign.

Interesting to see the union is taking legal action to have the benefits reinstated to the strikers.
    So all that will result in is the perks will be removed from everyone..

Perks are earned... not a right..
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:46 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by SonTech
    So all that will result in is the perks will be removed from everyone..

Perks are earned... not a right..
    That's simply not true. There is absolutely no suggestion the perks will be withdrawn from everyone, and if BA were to do so it would absolutely cripple their operation because crew would face difficulty getting to work at any sort of sensible cost if their staff flights were removed - so they'd most likely strike themselves or just resign. Either way, if you think this has been expensive for BA so far, just see what would happen then with much more widespread action.

I'm sure it would also almost certainly lead to a legal challenge - something that's given as an expectation and then removed might well be regarded as an accepted part of employment conditions, removal of which could lead to constructive dismissal claims at the very least.

Just not going to happen.
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
    Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    That's simply not true. There is absolutely no suggestion the perks will be withdrawn from everyone, and if BA were to do so it would absolutely cripple their operation because crew would face difficulty getting to work at any sort of sensible cost if their staff flights were removed - so they'd most likely strike themselves or just resign. Either way, if you think this has been expensive for BA so far, just see what would happen then with much more widespread action.

I'm sure it would also almost certainly lead to a legal challenge - something that's given as an expectation and then removed might well be regarded as an accepted part of employment conditions, removal of which could lead to constructive dismissal claims at the very least.

Just not going to happen.
    I'm not saying there is a suggestion, just that I can see BA doing that in the future at some point.
    I agree that it could be expensive for BA in the short term if they went that way and there was more industrial action.

I'm not privy to the actual wording of the entitlement to the perks but if it isn't actually part of the contract of employment then I don't quite see how the Unions could say it is. I've known people in other industries who have had perks withdrawn that weren't part of their employment contract quite legally and no action was taken by any union.
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:18 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    BA have set a precedent by returning staff travel to the Legacy fleets after our dispute 6 years ago, it would be totally unfair for MF crew who have far worse terms and conditions are not treated in the same way.
    Also it is unthinkable that those who chose to work and now will get the improved offer benefit while strikers lose out, moving forward everyone needs to be treated the same.

Last edited by Can I help you; Jun 11, 2017 at 12:55 pm
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    BA have set a president by returning staff travel to the Legacy fleets after our dispute 6 years ago, it would be totally unfair for MF crew who have far worse terms and conditions are not treated in the same way.
    Also it is unthinkable that those who chose to work and now will get the improved offer benefit while strikers lose out, moving forward everyone needs to be treated the same.
    You would think so. But from BA staff posts here it seems BA is definitely a company at war with it's employees
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:47 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    It certainly feels like it.
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    BA have set a president by returning staff travel to the Legacy fleets after our dispute 6 years ago,
    I don't see how doing something once in 2010/11 can be considered to establish a precedent. As others have said, if it's not in your contract of employment then you shouldn't rely on getting it (best of luck to UNITE in trying to prove otherwise).

I can understand there being some bad feeling that non strikers get the 'benefit' of any deal that UNITE negotiate, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
    Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
    it seems BA is definitely a company at war with it's employees
    It takes two to tango!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.