Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    ... or, alternatively, you begin to realise you live in a world where your employer is simply not interested in you and merely regards you as the cheapest form of labour available, and maximises that stranglehold they have.

Many might regard that as abuse of power. That's hardly the basis for a productive working relationship. If my employer treated me like that I'd want to get out, but I'm lucky in that (a) they are genuinely trying to make conditions better for us and (b) I'm not in an industry where seniority is totally lost when moving to a competitor and you pretty much start at the bottom again. Cabin Crew do not have the same options many of us are lucky enough to enjoy.
    In comparison to most of the rest of the service industry, cabin crew are in an enviable position. There's plenty of service jobs advertised out there with salaries around 14-16k and a lot less opportunities to top it up via bonuses. These jobs also tend to be a lot less stable and without long-term prospects.

We don't live in a society where all careers have comparable outcomes, comparable perks and so forth. Not even communism offered that. It matters if you went to university, it matters what you did at university, it matters what job you chose out of university and so forth.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    The vast majority of the British workforce are employed in non unionised industry, where employer and employee appear to be able to settle their difference without recourse to industrial action. Why is it that when a union becomes involved there is acrimony and dissent?

BA and London Underground are examples on businesses that would never be allowed to go bust. As a consequence the employees can cause as much havoc as they like, safe in the knowledge that there will always be a job to go back to. Contrast that with the likes of Ineos or Tata steel who work in the real world, and as a consequence the unions are unhappy but won't be calling for strike action, because if they did all the workers would lose their jobs.

So when people complain of blackmail, that's exactly how I see the union position. You can go on strike as often as you like with complete impunity. That's no way to run a business.
    BA could go bust; TfL you're right, not so much. I'd like to see an employer fire half their workforce for going on legal strikes and not have a huge set of lawsuits.

I'd argue that a lot of people in lower level jobs (hospitality springs to mind) don't have a union because there is a high turnover, but they still have legitimate complaints - I know this from experience. BA CC are lucky that despite their poor pay they have a union willing to represent them and that takes action on their behalf.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by lloydah
    I presume you earn a salary that is in a different world from Lite then.
    That's probably a fair assumption given that we appear to live in different worlds.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:37 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    As a consequence the employees can cause as much havoc as they like, safe in the knowledge that there will always be a job to go back to. [...]
    So when people complain of blackmail, that's exactly how I see the union position. You can go on strike as often as you like with complete impunity. That's no way to run a business.
    'Safe in the knowledge that there will always be a job to go back to'? Seriously? BA employees losing their job in the past two years?:

- The LGW crew issue last year?
    - The airport staff laid off across the network?
    - The IT job cuts? The call centres?
    - The maintenance facilities job cuts?
    - The Christmas letter to several staff categories warning them to expect the worst and prepare for staff cuts as per the other forum?

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 18, 2017 at 4:21 pm
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
    You can go on strike as often as you like with complete impunity.
    Bear in mind that those who strike do not get paid for the time that they withhold their labour, so there is a cost to taking industrial action. Personally I feel striking should be a very last resort, but if an employer just won't listen, what else can an employee do, besides 'move on' which doesn't solve anything but passes the problem to the employees (and customers) who remain. Some people want to actually fix things and go back to doing the job they would otherwise enjoy, and protect the seniority and benefits that they've already earned.

I dislike unions myself, especially greedy/militant ones, but they are a balance system to industry barons who push things too far in the wrong direction.

However I too would like to know what Unite's expectations/requests/demands are. We know BA have offered ~6p - what is MF asking for that BA won't give?
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    You embark on an industrial dispute with the avowed intent of bringing the company to it's knees, and you're surprised when they withdraw some of your non contractual perks. You live in a different world.
    I'm not sure why you need to be so personal, nor so aggressive throughout this thread. You disagree with industrial action, which is absolutely fine as everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but you don't need to be unpleasant and condescending. It actually ruins the quality of the debate. I don't think at any point, neither myself nor any of my colleagues have said that we are hell bent on bringing the airline to its knees but instead after a year of trying to bargain for our 2016 pay deal, have been unable to agree to a sufficient pay rise. As part of a collective bargaining agreement, when every avenue has been explored and you can't negotiate any longer, we have a legal right to strike and take part in a legal ballot. 93% of our colleagues turned down this pay deal, the pay deal that would have given us a 6p an hour pay rise. It isn't unsurprising, nor have I ever said it was by the way, that BA would retaliate by removing bonuses (which make up their £21k a year figure by the way) or that they would remove incentives. The issue as I see it is that they are trying to say that these are "incentives to come to work" rather than "a stick to beat you with if you choose to strike." Sadly, BA would rather throw money at chartering in Titan and Vueling, paying EU compensation to passengers, paying out for strikers to come to work and bribing those who do come to work rather than just negotiate with the union. Such is their prerogative, meanwhile customers and colleagues alike are sadly caught in the middle.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Lite
    I'm not sure why you need to be so personal, nor so aggressive throughout this thread. You disagree with industrial action, which is absolutely fine as everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but you don't need to be unpleasant and condescending. It actually ruins the quality of the debate. I don't think at any point, neither myself nor any of my colleagues have said that we are hell bent on bringing the airline to its knees but instead after a year of trying to bargain for our 2016 pay deal, have been unable to agree to a sufficient pay rise. As part of a collective bargaining agreement, when every avenue has been explored and you can't negotiate any longer, we have a legal right to strike and take part in a legal ballot. 93% of our colleagues turned down this pay deal, the pay deal that would have given us a 6p an hour pay rise. It isn't unsurprising, nor have I ever said it was by the way, that BA would retaliate by removing bonuses (which make up their £21k a year figure by the way) or that they would remove incentives. The issue as I see it is that they are trying to say that these are "incentives to come to work" rather than "a stick to beat you with if you choose to strike." Sadly, BA would rather throw money at chartering in Titan and Vueling, paying EU compensation to passengers, paying out for strikers to come to work and bribing those who do come to work rather than just negotiate with the union. Such is their prerogative, meanwhile customers and colleagues alike are sadly caught in the middle.
    I really wish you would stop being so reasonable. ^
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
    The vast majority of the British workforce are employed in non unionised industry, where employer and employee appear to be able to settle their difference without recourse to industrial action. Why is it that when a union becomes involved there is acrimony and dissent?

BA and London Underground are examples on businesses that would never be allowed to go bust. As a consequence the employees can cause as much havoc as they like, safe in the knowledge that there will always be a job to go back to. Contrast that with the likes of Ineos or Tata steel who work in the real world, and as a consequence the unions are unhappy but won't be calling for strike action, because if they did all the workers would lose their jobs.

The vast majority of the UK workforce, work for companies who value them and are willing to engage with staff before minor issues become larger ones. I am not a fan of the unions while I do acknowledge they have a place.

Walsh did well to cut back costs and get BA/IAG into a profitable position, but there is too much of a good thing and the relentless pursuit of cost savings can also destroy BA. Top executives are replaced often, mostly due to the fact they run out of ideas and become less effective as time passes. Walsh appears determined to carry on, but it's increasingly clear to me at least his judgement is not what it was.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:08 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
    Originally Posted by Lite
    Lite, the clear majority are behind you here and are very appreciative of the calm and professional way you have approached this thread. Even taking the time to answer what are trolling posts, you have represented not only yourself but the company well. 100% behind you and your colleagues.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:59 am

I too support my MF colleagues in their efforts to improve their lot. I am however, struggling to see what the union believes they will achieve with further strikes. BA is bent on not bowing to this pressure and has gone to some lengthy measures to achieve that aim. Indeed MF can arguably be said to be a result of the determination of BA not to give in to industrial action.

The problem is not an isolated one as any pay deal awarded to MF will be the benchmark minimum percent that the next workgroup demands. So while MFare asking for more than 6p an hour more BA will view this in different terms.

No no one should be surprised at the loss of ST as this was and has long been a tactic that BA has used against strikers. Those who are unaware if this really should have done their homework. I'm not sure of the bonus situation maybe Lite can help, but these often have a no IA clause linked to them - again IF this is the case then those moaning about it are being disingenuous.

I hope you get a decent pay rise I really do, but I wonder who is winning with this IA, MF or Len McLusky who seems to be trying to, once again, make political hay and reestablish his credentials as a union hardliner.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jan 19, 2017 at 4:07 am
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    I too support my MF colleagues in their efforts to improve their lot. I am however, struggling to see what the union believes they will achieve with further strikes. BA is bent on not bowing to this pressure and has gone to some lengthy measures to achieve that aim. Indeed MF can arguably be said to be a result of the determination of BA not to give in to industrial action.
    Yes, that's my take too. I also support MF and wish them well, but I am left with a lingering doubt that the offer made to them recently (and now withdrawn) was perhaps 'good enough' (although not enough as they deserve) and maybe, in practical terms, it would have been wiser to accept it. Time will tell of course, and that horse has bolted now.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:19 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Well seeing that BASSA has managed to get EF and WW the following offer I would say that MF have every right to feel angry.

· Year 1 (February 1, 2016 – January 31, 2017): 2 per cent uplift on basic pay and associated payments.

· Year 2 (February 1, 2017 – January 31, 2018): RPI Increase underpinned at 2.5 per cent on basic pay and associated payments.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Well seeing that BASSA has managed to get EF and WW the following offer I would say that MF have every right to feel angry.

· Year 1 (February 1, 2016 – January 31, 2017): 2 per cent uplift on basic pay and associated payments.

· Year 2 (February 1, 2017 – January 31, 2018): RPI Increase underpinned at 2.5 per cent on basic pay and associated payments.
    Definitely seems that BA have got room to offer MF more, you have no doubt been through a few of these before, do you foresee BA increasing their offer or are they hoping MF will eventually back down?
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:49 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by Silver Fox
    Lite, the clear majority are behind you here and are very appreciative of the calm and professional way you have approached this thread. Even taking the time to answer what are trolling posts, you have represented not only yourself but the company well. 100% behind you and your colleagues.
    Every time Lite posts about the dispute, we can all see what a loss it would be both to the company and to us passengers if one result of the dispute is that Lite leaves the company.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

To quote Lite from post #1015 the offer that BA made seemed better than this though:

"It is a significant improvement to move Mixed Fleet closer to market rate. There is a 4.6% on all main crew basics and a 10% increase on the CSM basic. Although it is a significant improvement on what was previously being offered, there are a few sticking points. BA will be conducting a benchmarking exercise for Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew in 2017 as the pay increase is an increase but still isn't as competitive as other UK operators. There will be no back dated pay considering this paydeal should've been ready for the beginning of this financial year in the spring. The Elapsed Hourly Rate which pays for all of our food and drink downroute has been increased to £3.29 but the union was pushing for £3.40 which is the rate paid to the Flight Crew for their sustenance downroute. All that said, it is real movement. The elapsed hourly rate and the lack of back pay will be their undoing though, I think."

Not saying it was enough, and Lite clearly highlights some concerns, but on the face of it, it compares fairly favourably to the offers you highlight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.