Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:52 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
    As I said, we are governed differently and are not part of the ballot.

We can merely express an opinion, although I think BA would expect us to be responsible management. Problem is, they have an overworked, underpaid and undervauled body of CSM management and I would suspect the majority will be behind our cabin crew colleagues.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    So are you going to be ballotted separately and how could the CSMs support the main crew who in reality will be very nervous about taking industrial action?
    It seems to me that they have very little to lose and seem to have a lot of support from customers and colleagues on the other fleets.
    This time they will not be able to play one fleet against the other and we will just have the usual suspects to worry about!
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by passy777
    I can imagine she will be hoping that her new 'proper job' is not subject to a suitable reference from her former employer.
    BA HR references, like the references from most large companies these days, merely state something like "so and so worked here from this date to this date as <insert job title>"
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:24 pm

I have friends at other airlines who take home more than MF after tax.

MF crew member - averages £1200 a month after tax
    Qantas LHR - £1800
    Virgin - £1500
    easyJet - £1600 winter, £1900 summer

One could probably earn more than MF crew working in a premium store in London or working for a posh restaurant with tips. And no jet lag either!

I do wonder what BA's plan is now - so paying your crew a low wage and giving them inferior terms and conditions is causing them to strike. Knowing BA management, some bright spark will come up with the idea of cabin crew apprenticeships and pay them £3.40 an hour. Why not make them pay their own accommodation down route too?

After all, millions of people would love to be cabin crew, make them pay to work to increase BA's profit!
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: British Airways GCH
    An eye opening thread for me.

The salary offered is significantly less than I imagined for what I consider a tough job. It makes me wonder what cabin crew must think of fat grumpy old hectors such as myself who sit in comfy seats and expect the world. I couldn't do it so good luck to them in seeking a better settlement.

On a side issue and apologies if it's to soon to ask but what should I do if I have a flight on a future strike date? Should I call BA and ask to be put on another airline as soon as I know I'll be impacted? I'd guess it would be best if I had a suggested solution to offer them rather than just asking them for options?

Oh and one last thing, I'm an infrequent poster (avid lurker) but I never got a welcome from CWS. Not that I'm bitter or anything ( well I have talked to my therapist about this and they did say I was bitter but I think she has anger issues anyway).
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by youngfogey

The salary offered is significantly less than I imagined for what I consider a tough job. It makes me wonder what cabin crew must think of fat grumpy old hectors such as myself who sit in comfy seats and expect the world. I couldn't do it so good luck to them in seeking a better settlement.

On a side issue and apologies if it's to soon to ask but what should I do if I have a flight on a future strike date? Should I call BA and ask to be put on another airline as soon as I know I'll be impacted? I'd guess it would be best if I had a suggested solution to offer them rather than just asking them for options?

Oh and one last thing, I'm an infrequent poster (avid lurker) but I never got a welcome from CWS. Not that I'm bitter or anything ( well I have talked to my therapist about this and they did say I was bitter but I think she has anger issues anyway).
    As an expert on strikes (I live in Greece go figure), generally airlines refuse to do anything about it until the strike is OFFICIAL, as in a few days before it probably goes ahead in December. So until then you can't change anything you have already booked, BA will be like strike? what strike? = )
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bearface
    Knowing BA management, some bright spark will come up with the idea of cabin crew apprenticeships.................
    Funny you should say that...............

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/...-cabin-9011744
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:08 pm
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    I see you have a very perceptive therapist youngfogey, though that's apparently not unusual around here, perhaps you are on a timeshare with another FTer or two. But with no further ado, let me belatedly welcome you to Flyertalk, it would normally suggest that it is good to see you here, but there again we seem to be past that point already.

As for what to do with any bookings, firstly ascertain whether you are on a Mixed Fleet route, it's only that section of the crew that is affected. Secondly it is fair to point out that not all ballots lead to a strike, and not all strike notifications end up happening. At this stage I doubt BA would entertain any changes until a day or so after the 7 Day Notification, when usually a "Customer Handling" notification goes out, setting out the policy. Normally it's posted up here within an hour, so by watching your new favourite forum you can keep ahead of the game.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    So are you going to be ballotted separately and how could the CSMs support the main crew who in reality will be very nervous about taking industrial action?
    It seems to me that they have very little to lose and seem to have a lot of support from customers and colleagues on the other fleets.
    This time they will not be able to play one fleet against the other and we will just have the usual suspects to worry about!
    I think you are staggeringly deluded if you think there will be a lot of support from customers for a strike. This will diminish even further if it's organised over important dates.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by bealine
    Funny you should say that...............

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/...-cabin-9011744
    I imagine they'll soon have a new fleet called "Apprentice Fleet" formed entirely of those aged 18-19 years old working towards an NVQ Level 3 in Customer Service.

Or perhaps they will have the minimum number of certified and trained cabin crew required by law and then a number of "cabin service assistants" on each flight who don't have safety role and door? Emirates has them but they are only responsible for the onboard shower.

Last edited by Bearface; Nov 15, 2016 at 3:15 pm
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:07 pm

I imagine somewhere at Waterside, there is a whole team working on automating the cabin crew role and replacing them with robots!
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
    I imagine somewhere at Waterside, there is a whole team working on automating the cabin crew role and replacing them with robots!
    Hmmm. Can you imagine being served an enhanced CW meal by one of the scutters from Red Dwarf?
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:33 pm

Your therapist may be reflecting your own anger through projective identification

My hunch is a strike wont happen, but it may be wishful thinking as I have MF flights in April.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:33 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MickV
    I think you are staggeringly deluded if you think there will be a lot of support from customers for a strike. This will diminish even further if it's organised over important dates.
    I disagree. Perhaps at first, on the headlines. But once customers realise how little they are paid and yet how expensive BA LCC airways is they will understand. Not everyone is flying ex-EU B2B to save £££.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
    I have friends at other airlines who take home more than MF after tax.

MF crew member - averages £1200 a month after tax
    Qantas LHR - £1800
    Virgin - £1500
    easyJet - £1600 winter, £1900 summer

One could probably earn more than MF crew working in a premium store in London or working for a posh restaurant with tips. And no jet lag either!
    I reckon the teenager of the household, currently working in a midrange restaurant in a town in the East of England to fund her gap year, is taking home more than 1200/month after tax. A job that is sometimes fatiguing, but has no jetlag, and far less safety responsibilities!

It seems clear to me that MF are underpaid: underpaid by comparison to their peers, and underpaid by comparison to vaguely similar other jobs, and underpaid in comparison to costs of living where they typically have to live (to be within reach of Heathrow for work). I am not at all surprised they are pressing their case strongly for more pay, to the point of withdrawing their labour.

Last edited by flatlander; Nov 16, 2016 at 2:02 am Reason: teenager is actually full time
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by hugolover
    I disagree. Perhaps at first, on the headlines. But once customers realise how little they are paid and yet how expensive BA LCC airways is they will understand. Not everyone is flying ex-EU B2B to save £££.
    I think MickV is more on it. Most people overly concerned with themselves, and this forum not representative of flyers. If it was there'd be 100 CW and 2 WT on most flights. Not that any of them would be occupied as no one would fly BA because they're so bad. How will we know what they're paid, one side will say £15K and the other £25K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.