Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
    Originally Posted by dannysherwood
    I have to say that reading this is making me very angry today

BA actually pay than Sleazy and Virgin and they are not out on strike, in fact I know of crew who have left Virgin to join BA recently! They are heavily recruiting now for MF and have lots of people applying, so it really isnt that bad and stinks of the union trying to get a foothold where they dont have one.

People seem to be equating £1.4bn profit as a trigger for higher pay for all. Welcome to the real world, profit is there to be reinvested into product (hush I hear the moaning already on that!) and into returns for shareholders, that is what running a business is about. If you want a cheap flight and seat the costs need to be as low as possible, staff costs included!

While it may seem that pay is low, it is better than most in the industry and while yes it could be better, having MF and moving away from overly generous schemes that old WW had was the whole point of MF - it was to make the airline profitable - anyone remember the losses that racked up not so many years ago?!

To be successful BA has to change the way it does things, cut costs and reorganise itself to be on par with competitors snapping at it left right and centre. This is why its 10 across at Gatters for the 777s to take on Norwegian, 180 seats on short-haul to take on Easy and Ryanair, if they dont then the end result is that the airline will just flop along and ultimately end up failing.

I feel some on here need to get into the real world a little......

Rant over - I await the abuse
    I think you may have spent too much time on fantasy island dear fellow..
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    There would be no EC261 compensation due, though Right of Care would be available. That said, there may possibly be a case for someone to still pursue compensation through the courts, since there is an argument that direct strikes by cabin crew are avoidable by BA (as opposed to French ATC going on strike for example). But that's a case for the senior courts.
    Thanks c-w-s - I read thru your incredible wiki post on EC261, specifically the post on Right of Care.

This tends to speak more to things like food and accommodation.

How would BA get me home though I wonder in a strike scenario? Presumably they are also liable for that as well?
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by bealine
    I think you are misinformed and that crew members are leaving MF to go to Virgin and Easy rather than the other way round.
    they are leaving Virgin and Easy for sure - I know a trainer who is training them!

Im not saying they are "well paid" but they are paid more than other airlines, so to complain that they are poorly paid is just wrong. They could do worse. And if it is so bad then they can always leave and try their luck elsewhere, it is a choice to work somewhere.

Im sure your daughter is working hard, I cant vouch for the £21k they quote but it must be doable to quote it, probably a horrid mix of routes no doubt hard to achieve in reality, but she could be worse off for sure.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by dannysherwood
    I feel some on here need to get into the real world a little......
    Is that the real world where the masses just voted for Brexit and President-elect Trump in huge numbers, in the face of sustained, relentless propaganda campaigns to the contrary?
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by love_flying_hate_strikes
    Thanks c-w-s - I read thru your incredible wiki post on EC261, specifically the post on Right of Care.

This tends to speak more to things like food and accommodation.

How would BA get me home though I wonder in a strike scenario? Presumably they are also liable for that as well?
    they would most likely book you on another airline although expect a lot of arguing and pulling threats until they do so because their first offer will most likely be fly you out when their flights resume, but in that case they would have to look after you hotel and food and telephone
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    they would most likely book you on another airline although expect a lot of arguing and pulling threats until they do so because their first offer will most likely be fly you out when their flights resume, but in that case they would have to look after you hotel and food and telephone
    Thanks ahmetdouas - and if my ticket with them is J, could they downgrade me?
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Is that the real world where the masses just voted for Brexit and President-elect Trump in huge numbers, in the face of sustained, relentless propaganda campaigns to the contrary?
    well im not too sure that is a great world but it is reality sadly!
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:47 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    It depends a bit on the precise details of your travel. But in previous strikes they did allow some rebooking on alternative carriers, though generally not via the Contact Centres. The Contact Centres could rebook on Joint Business, Iberia, and now I guess Aer Lingus. Airports could do more. There is also the option of going to another airport on EuroFleet/LGW/Worldwide/BACF crew. In addition there is the refund route. I also suspect that it will be a one or two day strike to begin with, then a gap, then another 2 day strike. So depending on dates and location they may just pay for you to sit it out in a hotel until the next flight.

Reimbursement for downgrades does not have a strike exemption, it is still covered by EC261 but again it depends on the route as to whether that's much protection or not.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Thanks ahmetdouas - and if my ticket with them is J, could they downgrade me?
    They probably would try not to but if there was absolutely no alternative yes they can. They will do whatever costs them the least amount of money. Knowing the way things work, they will try to convince you that it is force majeure we had to downgrade you so will not pay, but they would be fully liable for compensation due to the downgrade, even if you had to take it to the court level. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here, and you can always keep us updated of whats going on and we will reply = )
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    It depends a bit on the precise details of your travel. But in previous strikes they did allow some rebooking on alternative carriers, though generally not via the Contact Centres. The Contact Centres could rebook on Joint Business, Iberia, and now I guess Aer Lingus. Airports could do more. There is also the option of going to another airport on EuroFleet/LGW/Worldwide/BACF crew. In addition there is the refund route. I also suspect that it will be a one or two day strike to begin with, then a gap, then another 2 day strike. So depending on dates and location they may just pay for you to sit it out in a hotel until the next flight.

Reimbursement for downgrades does not have a strike exemption, it is still covered by EC261 but again it depends on the route as to whether that's much protection or not.
    Would be BA6, so other direct carriers to my knowledge would be JAL ex NRT or ANA ex HND.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    They probably would try not to but if there was absolutely no alternative yes they can. They will do whatever costs them the least amount of money. Knowing the way things work, they will try to convince you that it is force majeure we had to downgrade you so will not pay, but they would be fully liable for compensation due to the downgrade, even if you had to take it to the court level. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here, and you can always keep us updated of whats going on and we will reply = )
    Thanks - I meant if they rebook me onto another carrier, could it be a lower class of travel?
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:06 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Would be BA6, so other direct carriers to my knowledge would be JAL ex NRT or ANA ex HND.
    Narita and Haneda are both Worldwide + International crews, so not affected here. In the past JAL was allowed, and it is in any case on a Joint Business deal with AY and IB. So not much to worry about here!
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:10 am

they are leaving Virgin and Easy for sure - I know a trainer who is training them!
    Snap! I know several of our BA trainers as well. Of course, employers in the real world are so honest and transparent about earnings aren't they - not!

"OTE £55,000 when the basic salary is £12,000" - jog on!

It has become the norm now that employers don't advertise the salary and if you askabout it at the interview stage, you don't get offered the job.

It used to be the case that advertising had to be "Legal, Honest, Decent and Truthful!" With 20 years of unparallelled greed and corruption among corporate boardrooms, that has gone right out of the window.
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:35 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by bealine
    It has become the norm now that employers don't advertise the salary and if you askabout it at the interview stage, you don't get offered the job.
    If am employer is unwilling to discuss salary at interview stage why would you still want the job?

EDIT: Just to add that MF starting salary is clearly shown on the ba site https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/londonheath...eet/cabincrew/

As London Heathrow Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew you will have the potential to earn, on average, a reward package of between £21,000 and £25,000 per annum. This comprises of a starting salary of £12,192 per annum, an hourly payment when you are flying, bonuses for achieving your performance targets and commission for Inflight Retail sales. Annual leave starting at 30 days per year rising to 34 days per year.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 15, 2016 at 7:40 am
    Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
    This statement means nothing. 17.4 million people voted for Brexit out of a total registered voting population of 46.5 million - that means 34% of the voting population support Brexit. If you extrapolate that to the UK's 64 million population it means that 27% of the UK population support Brexit.

Voter turnout in the states was c58%. So I hardly call that the masses.

Off topic though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.