Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Well the many plane spotters would beg to differ, they record the registrations of all aircraft taking off and landing, many longhaul aircraft came back to roost within the hour!
    Incorrect.

There were no "round robin" flight plans as far as I recall.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:33 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    How do you know, we will have to agree to differ?
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:37 pm

Well the many plane spotters would beg to differ, they record the registrations of all aircraft taking off and landing, many longhaul aircraft came back to roost within the hour!
    I am naive. Ignoring whether or not they happened, what would the benefit of the round robin flights have been?

- Just for PR purposes to portray to the public that it is "business as usual" and to show the strikers that there is limited impact?
    - some cost saving issue with sitting on stand at LHR? (I.e. Parking fee)

My question is moot but I'm intrigued as to the purpose.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:40 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    There are a number of reasons including making the strikers feel that they were losing the battle to stop flights from operating.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:44 pm

There are a number of reasons including making the strikers feel that they were losing the battle to stop flights from operating.
    That makes me feel a little nauseous
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Littlegirl
    On Eurofleet none of us have been sent any comms or offered any overtime as yet or any extra payments but usually shorthaul crew are allowed to put their names down to take adhock leave on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and this year obviously no leave has been given.

I wish you luck Lite but I actually think on Christmas Day they won't need to use any iCSPs as with those M/F who don't want to strike together with E/F crew who are now doing standbys on Christmas Day and WW and most likely LGW standby crews too, I think they will be able to crew all the flights.

I hope the ACARS talks are sucessful for you all.
    Sorry, I should have said those overtime opportunities as well as offered to pay to come in have been offered to Mixed Fleet. Like you say though, they are also relying on being able to cover flights with the other fleets.

Fingers crossed with ACAS like you say, none of us want to cause any inconvenience and also we want to just be able to come to work and do our jobs. Sadly if no agreement can come together, I will strike in this industrial action and will also be putting my CV out to competitor airlines and take my Golden Ticket winning labour 😉 elsewhere, even if it means a "demotion" to Cabin Crew and losing my seniority. I would be very sad to say goodbye to many friends both onboard in the galleys and also Exec Club frequent fliers I've met on my travels.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
    That would be terribly sad Lite, I hope it won't come to that.

However I hear lots of both M/F and also some E/F crew are going to Norweigion and apparently it is very fast to get SCCM if you have previous experience and the pay is better!
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:07 pm

However I hear lots of both M/F and also some E/F crew are going to Norweigion and apparently it is very fast to get SCCM if you have previous experience and the pay is better!
    It would be so sad. I am very grateful and humbled by the support and friendships I've made on Mixed Fleet and also here on flyertalk. I would absolutely hate to leave.

I too have heard many people leave for Norwegian, and really should take a good look. We have lost CSM's in the last round of recruitment at Qantas and Air New Zealand and the CSM's who have gone there are earning more as Cabin Crew. Now sadly seems to be the time to look at alternatives as the press releases indicate that BA do not want to negotiate and are spoiling for a fight with us and our union.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:11 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by Lite
    ... Sadly if no agreement can come together, I will strike in this industrial action and will also be putting my CV out to competitor airlines and take my Golden Ticket winning labour 😉 elsewhere, even if it means a "demotion" to Cabin Crew and losing my seniority. I would be very sad to say goodbye to many friends both onboard in the galleys and also Exec Club frequent fliers I've met on my travels.
    Noooooo! I do hope it doesn't come to this. It's crew like you that make our experiences so good and what BA is about, although clearly Mr Cruz and Co do not appear to understand that. I do hope an agreeable solution is found.

But what about that ghastly uniform they wear?!
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

But what about that ghastly uniform they wear?!
    I've not seen it!
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:00 pm

That is not correct, they have reinstated all shorthaul.
    Apologies for the error, thank you for the correction.

I hope I'm not wrong in saying that in my opinion BA is only going to ACAS for show.

Give it a few days and they will offer 3%, i.e. A small increase on the original offer. Then the PR machine will say we compromised and we went to ACAS so we're in the right and the crew -obviously wrong- are still not happy.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:50 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Talking

I've not seen it!
    Here:

Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    Here:

I do love those gloves. I've been around since the days of when you had your jacket on, you also had your hat and gloves, even to put petrol into the car on the way home. I have also worn much worse over the last few years. Many thanks Tobias for your very kind words of support.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:55 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Mr Tobias, it's not that bad is it the uniform? The pockets are probably quite practical but the girl at the back with the red glove looks like she is giving the V sign to the camera! (that might just be my perception)

Good luck Lite to you and your MF colleagues for a fair pay deal ^
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:03 pm

Lite - you come across as a considerate and caring crew member and your posts do you credit. I like a lot of posters on this thread believe that MF deserve to be paid much more than they are at present.

However, my advice would be that MF staff should leave BA and join other companies/airlines. Life is too short and BA with its current management does not value or respect the contribution you make. This situation will not change and really you would be better off financially and valued more at another company. Sad state of affairs really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.