Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
    Originally Posted by HMPS
    When is a good time to announce layoffs ?
    Just when Lite's very clear and well articulated posts are winning a lot of sympathy for the union members ...your post may ignite fires which may work against you all. Wish you had posted who and where at the same time.

If they were laid off four weeks before X Mas, or day after would it help them ? Could one then say if they were told earlier they would have pared down their X Mas expenses , put off a mini vacation etc ? Layoffs are terrible and most of the time the person who delivers the bad news feels the pain, perhaps even thinking " but for the grace of god, there goes meself"

Outsourcing is a fact of life, surplus of labour from many other countries is a fact of life. Cannot make it go away. As long as there are people much poorer than those of us living in an affluent society, the conflicts will go on.
    Although those at the top who decided to lop off X % of expenses by means A B or C hardly ever give it a second thought.
    Even ignoring the fact it is meant to be a happy/festive period - most employers wind down around Christmas meaning it is a terrible time to be laid off because recruitment activity tends to be very low and doesn't ramp up until late January.
    So to answer your question, sometime in the new year's would be a better time because employees will have a better chance to secure a new job within a shorter timeframe
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
    Originally Posted by strichener
    You can say the same about strike action. We don't know the demographics of the people affected by the strike action to know if they are travelling specifically to meet people for Xmas or just having a holiday where they managed to obtain cheap flights.
    Do the math. What percent of the crew will actually will travel on these dates. How many paying people world wide do travel on those days ? Just does not compute that the hardships of the traveling crew to see family etc is anywhere near the sheer numbers of pax.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lite
    Sorry, I should have said those overtime opportunities as well as offered to pay to come in have been offered to Mixed Fleet. Like you say though, they are also relying on being able to cover flights with the other fleets.

Fingers crossed with ACAS like you say, none of us want to cause any inconvenience and also we want to just be able to come to work and do our jobs. Sadly if no agreement can come together, I will strike in this industrial action and will also be putting my CV out to competitor airlines and take my Golden Ticket winning labour 😉 elsewhere, even if it means a "demotion" to Cabin Crew and losing my seniority. I would be very sad to say goodbye to many friends both onboard in the galleys and also Exec Club frequent fliers I've met on my travels.
    Having stayed quiet about this one as I am thankfully not in over the festive period, I am in the same boat. First time since I joined and actually in my fifteen years in the job, I am thinking about other options. BA is a company, I never thought I would say, I no longer want to work for. It is sad after all my years of loving this red, white and blue, to know and learn the truth about how it treats it's staff. The simple truth about that, is awfully.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Falcs
    Even ignoring the fact it is meant to be a happy/festive period - most employers wind down around Christmas meaning it is a terrible time to be laid off because recruitment activity tends to be very low and doesn't ramp up until late January.
    So to answer your question, sometime in the new year's would be a better time because employees will have a better chance to secure a new job within a shorter timeframe
    ^

Having lost my job on four occasions, all at Christmas, I would agree!
    Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
    Having stayed quiet about this one as I am thankfully not in over the festive period, I am in the same boat. First time since I joined and actually in my fifteen years in the job, I am thinking about other options. BA is a company, I never thought I would say, I no longer want to work for. It is sad after all my years of loving this red, white and blue, to know and learn the truth about how it treats it's staff. The simple truth about that, is awfully.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    ^

It is tremendously sad to see people who have given a large chunk of their lives, and loyalty to British Airways leaving in droves because BA are making life so uncomfortable for them.
    Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:53 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    I'm enormously sad that MF crew whose posts have made them respected and liked here, and which must reflect their real-life approach to looking after us passengers, are seriously thinking of leaving the company because of the way that they're being treated. In each case that would be both BA's loss and ours, but some other company's gain.
    Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:23 am

Has there been any proactive cancellations? Just seems odd that on the 25th there is zero availability to bcn.
    Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
    Has there been any proactive cancellations? Just seems odd that on the 25th there is zero availability to bcn.
    BA flights have always been full on Christmas Day for at least the last 10 years so, if not booked well in advance, you're unlikely to find availability on any carriers into or out of the UK.
    Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by bealine
    BA flights have always been full on Christmas Day for at least the last 10 years so, if not booked well in advance, you're unlikely to find availability on any carriers into or out of the UK.
    My problem is that I'm looking at the BA timetable, plus flight searches, plus Expert Flyer, and there are ZERO BA flights from LHR to BCN on the 25th. There are flights from LHR to BCN on the 24th and 26th, and Vueling flights from LGW and LTN to BCN on the 25th.

LHR-HAM is a similar story.

Yet, I know it's not because the flights are sold out, as a sample test for Thu 22nd LHR-CDG, BA314 (12:55) is still showing on the timetable, even though it's not bookable as full according to BA.com

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Dec 21, 2016 at 6:04 pm
    Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
    They haven't cancelled any as a result of the strike. They don't schedule too many short haul flights on Christmas Day, and even those that are scheduled, a few get trimmed further during the summer when they finalise the Christmas schedule.

Christmas day is not a popular day for travel. most have travelled by then, and it can be hugely difficult getting to / from an airport with public transport on this day.
    Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:26 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    BA have never run a full schedule on Christmas Day, and some routes have no flights at all. There are no BA flights to BCN on Christmas Day. No mystery here.
    Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
    BBC reporting that more talks today at ACAS starting at 1PM
    Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:28 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    My problem is that I'm looking at the BA timetable, plus flight searches, plus Expert Flyer, and there are ZERO BA flights from LHR to BCN on the 25th.
    That was already the case on 9 December, when I did a search for BA departures from LHR on 25 December. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27587014-post19.html

Therefore, this is not to do with the strike, but reflects the normal reduced level of Christmas Day service.
    Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:49 pm

Strikes apparently suspended per a tweet from Chris Mason of the BBC:

BREAKING: Planned strikes by British Airways cabin crew on Christmas Day and Boxing Day have been suspended, said the union Unite
    We should await official, further confirmation though. The URL to the tweet is being oddly rendered but you can look @ChrisMasonBBC for the tweet.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Dec 22, 2016 at 1:55 pm
    Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
    BBC News also reporting strikes suspended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.