Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
    Perfectly timed for the introduction of BOB on the 11th.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by PETER01
    Yes and on ba.com too

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ruption_banner

Threatened industrial action - 10 and 11 January 2017

Last updated: 18:15, 03 January 2017

The trade union Unite has announced that it intends to hold industrial action involving one of our five cabin crew fleets on Tuesday 10 and Wednesday 11 January 2017.

We are extremely disappointed that Unite has once again chosen to target our customers.

We are looking to ensure that all of our customers, with bookings on those two days, will travel to their destinations.

We will publish more details about our contingency plans on Friday 6 January 2017.

Please do not call our contact centres as at this stage they will not be able to provide any more details than are contained here.

British Airways remains focused on resolving this issue as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your support and understanding.
    Yeap! Here we go.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pay-offer.html
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    The wording on that statement is a bit softer this time.

Good luck to the crew!
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Possibly inconvenienced by this
    The latest release by BA does again sound a little provocative since it does appear to be BA that refuses to negotiate further.
    Surely an adequately compensated staff is a requirement for "To fly to serve".
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Here's the union's take:

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:06 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I've asked the Moderators to amend the title to save anyone else ending them a message.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by jamesreid978
    Saw it on BBC just now too. Got flights from ABZ to LHR on the 10th and flights to KEF on the 11th. Nightmare. Fingers crossed they reach an acceptable agreement as I am sure ABZ will be an affected route.
    I hope it gets sorted for you too, and you get to enjoy your trip with as little disruption as possible. We only just received the email ourselves internally (one from the union and one from BA), and it seems like BA withdrew the amended offer from the ACAS talks and has gone back to offering us a 6p an hour pay increase and is final. They've also said to the union that they wouldn't agree to them suspending talks but keeping the ballot live whilst they discuss the alternative offers. I hope it gets sorted for customers and crew alike but Alex Cruz has said in his email just now that he is prepared to take the union on. What a shame that BA would rather crush their customer facing crew over 6p an hour.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
    I am flying out of Heathrow on the 11th, but luckily Iberia. However I don't think MAD is a MF route anyway, so I think if I had been flying on BA metal I would have been ok.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
    I am flying out of Heathrow on the 11th, but luckily Iberia. However I don't think MAD is a MF route anyway, so I think if I had been flying on BA metal I would have been ok.
    It's Eurofleet.

I only know that because I happened to mention the strike to the crew member facing me in the jump seat and it opened the floodgate! (She wasn't a happy bunny!)
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:13 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    This corner of "Planet BA Customers" is saddened by BA's apparent intransigence.

So sorry for all MF CC and pax caught up in this.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Lite
    There still has been no pay rise for CSM's in that time. The starting salary for anyone joining that rank has remained the same for six years. There has also been no cost of living increases paid, unlike similar banded managers in the company who have both performance related pay and an RPI linked cost of living increase. That means the salary hasn't kept up with increases in cost of living, particularly linked to the lack of an increase in downroute elapsed hourly rate pay which is meant to pay for all sustenance downroute.

The support both online as well as onboard has been overwhelming. People can see the poor pay and terms and conditions and realise that the increases the union are asking for for Mixed Fleet are not outrageous but are bringing BA up to market rate (considering BA sold MF as being market rate plus 10%). BA and specifically the CEO have not come out of this looking particularly good, instead looking like a flying workhouse. Again, this isn't about asking for an unsustainable salary but instead to meet the market rate and in line with the cost of living.
    There are enough red herrings here to keep John West going for the rest of 2017.

You have previously said that the elapsed hourly rate was increased between 2010 and 2014 (by 25%, which doesn't sound too bad over 4 years). Also you said there had been performance related pay increases. Are these not pay rises? Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question?

Regarding today's decision to call further strikes, can somebody clarify:
    • what is the point of BA negotiating with unite if MF reject the deal. Surely you need to be talking to somebody who is in a position to agree a deal? (Need to be talking to the organ grinder not the monkey)
    • Does anyone know what MF are asking for by way of a pay rise?
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
    The offical BA announcement is out https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ruption_banner

Looks like we will have to wait until friday to find out the plan.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:43 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Agent69
    what is the point of BA negotiating with unite if MF reject the deal. Surely you need to be talking to somebody who is in a position to agree a deal? (Need to be talking to the organ grinder not the monkey)
    It is the Unite members of MF who rejected the deal, not MF as a whole. If their representation at the negotiating table is inadequately reflecting their position that is really up to the membership to resolve, it isn't something BA can fix.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:46 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    • what is the point of BA negotiating with unite if MF reject the deal. Surely you need to be talking to somebody who is in a position to agree a deal? (Need to be talking to the organ grinder not the monkey)
    Negotiation is this way because it's a collective agreement with the MF crew who are union members, hence why the union is acting as chief negotiator. The union is then duty bound to put that offer to its members to accept or reject. As Calchas has said, if the members are not happy with the way the union is representing them, it is down to them to effectively re-instruct them through the various levels that will eventually lead to the General Secretary.

This is not exactly unusual in an organisation with the history, structure and size of BA.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    There are enough red herrings here to keep John West going for the rest of 2017.

You have previously said that the elapsed hourly rate was increased between 2010 and 2014 (by 25%, which doesn't sound too bad over 4 years). Also you said there had been performance related pay increases. Are these not pay rises? Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question?

• Does anyone know what MF are asking for by way of a pay rise?
    The starting salary for CSM's had not increased over the six years of the fleet and there had been no collective bargaining over any cost of living increases, just performance related uplifts. The union has always asked for CSM's to be given the right to bargain and to receive cost of living pay increases in line with other managers in the business.

The pay deal for cabin crew as you've said has seen an hourly rate increase from 2010 to 2014 of 60p an hour from £2.40 to £3 an hour from check in to landing back in the UK. That has to pay for all sustenance as nothing is provided downroute. Essentially BA are asking Cabin Crew to live in west London on £12,900 basic salary if they have to use any of their elapsed hourly rate downroute. This proposed pay increase was rejected by 93% six months ago. The amended deal announced at ACAS is off of the table now after a rejection of 70%, both CSM's and cabin crew.

I am not in the habit of being a serial striker and I've never been accused of being a loony leftie. I don't want to disrupt anybody's travel plans nor do I particularly want to see the company brought into disrepute. Sadly, this is effectively a 6p an hour pay increase with no bargaining rights for CSM's. I am due to be at work both days and will be taking part in this industrial action.

It could easily be rectified if the company simply put a meaningful pay increase on the basic salaries of crew of all grades in line with RPI, seriously looked at our elapsed hourly rate (currently about 80p behind airlines like Thomson and Thomas Cook who also do Mixed flying) and seriously considered back pay as in other pay deals and this would all go away. Instead the company wants to fight a largely young workforce over 6p an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.