Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
    Lite - again I must register my admiration for your measured and informative responses. I think (hope) most folks here would be behind you and your colleagues 100% on this issue. I certainly am

Best wishes
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:24 pm

MF have every right to take industrial action, and their pay does seem low, so good luck to them and I hope there is a successful outcome. However, there does seem to be a bit of a battle going on between BA and Unite over who is the victim in this dispute. Of course, the position of victim is a powerful one, and can recruit powerful support/public opinion, so no wonder I guess. In reality though it takes two to tango. Let's hope BA improve on their last offer and MF are happy to accept.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by peck
    Lite - again I must register my admiration for your measured and informative responses. I think (hope) most folks here would be behind you and your colleagues 100% on this issue. I certainly am

Best wishes
    Many thanks for your very kind post. I do hope that the company will use the next week to ask the union to come back for talks or to invite them to ACAS. Besides not wanting to disrupt anybody's travel plans and not wanting to catch my death in the freezing cold on a picket line, mostly I would just like a fair pay deal for my colleagues. If only they could see the direct correlation between posts on here about a lack of experience in premium cabins on some Mixed Fleet flights and the high turnover.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA silver
    Originally Posted by headingwest
    It's Eurofleet.

I only know that because I happened to mention the strike to the crew member facing me in the jump seat and it opened the floodgate! (She wasn't a happy bunny!)
    Do you mean its Eurofleet serving BA flights LHR-MAD ?
    If so are you saying that these flights will not be affected by the strikes?
    As you have guessed I am flying that route shortly on BA.
    Thanks
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by sarahuk
    Do you mean its Eurofleet serving BA flights LHR-MAD ?
    If so are you saying that these flights will not be affected by the strikes?
    As you have guessed I am flying that route shortly on BA.
    Thanks
    That is what I was told, yes. So I imagine the strikes wouldn't directly affect that route.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
    Are here I was thinking that Mixed Fleet had been created to (i) save costs and (ii) insert a no-strike clause in their contract. Oh oh...

It is interesting to read from crew members who quote other airlines' compensation levels but are unwilling to go and work for these airlines. I wonder why... Pride of working for BA? Fear of change? Preference for the average polite BA customer over Airline X's drunkard?

There is a point where these differences are not enough to justify a lower pay and at that point, crews should vote with their feet, not through strikes.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by Takiteasy
    Are here I was thinking that Mixed Fleet had been created to (i) save costs and (ii) insert a no-strike clause in their contract. Oh oh...

It is interesting to read from crew members who quote other airlines' compensation levels but are unwilling to go and work for these airlines. I wonder why... Pride of working for BA? Fear of change? Preference for the average polite BA customer over Airline X's drunkard?

There is a point where these differences are not enough to justify a lower pay and at that point, crews should vote with their feet, not through strikes.
    No way. BA gave the impression of paying (and yes I checked the site) MF 21 or so k GBP and are in reality MF are getting much less than that. BA misled them, so striking is 100% justified in my opinion. BA, as a multi billion pound profitable airline should treat its staff better.

Instead of passengers complaining, maybe they should understand what the MF are going through and vote with their feet as well, as in flying another airline if they are not happy with strikes! BA is not a monopoly you know!
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
    Is the revised offer still open to non-unionised staff Lite?

I would imagine BA will be trying to divide and conquer on that score alone.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Just noticed this on the iPad...book by 9th January for the strike. Priceless!
    Attached Images  
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC

​​​​This is in a nutshell what is so wrong with capitalism as it is. One can always make this argument I.e. why do people on low pay not simply go and find higher paying employment. It, however does not solve the increasing in work poverty we have in this country and much of the western world.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:12 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

crews should vote with their feet, not through strikes.
    They are voting with their feet. They're staying at home instead of going to work.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
    Just noticed this on the iPad...book by 9th January for the strike. Priceless!
    when the news of the first strike was put on the app - it was headlined 'Special Offer'.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:21 pm
    V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
    If, as suggested by Lite, BA took the previous offer off the table whilst attempting to restrict the union members' room for manoeuvre then I don't really see that there was any choice but to reinstate the strike threat.
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980
    when the news of the first strike was put on the app - it was headlined 'Special Offer'.
    Well BA always do know how to make their offers special
    Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:26 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

So BA MF should just close up shop, because they can't find workers?
    Or are you saying they can always find other suckers to work for peanuts? Who then find other jobs when they want a raise? Rinse and repeat?
    And this is an airline you would patronize?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.