Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by destere
    Doesn't work out that way though. It can be a truly destructive mindset in business.
    I don't disagree, but having worked for other large publicly traded companies, this mindset is prevalent. I could have sat around, waiting and hoping that the raises would eventually come, but of course they never would. That's why I made the choice to move to a smaller private company that doesn't mind taking a short term loss to invest in long term profits.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
    I did not follow that much the full story about this strike, but if what the unions are saying are true, then I support the strike of the MF cabin crews. In my experience, MF crews always proved to be providing a much better, personalized and friendlier service than Euro or World crews. While I believe that strikes should be done as a last thing in case no agreement can be reached, I think this one is clearly justified (unlike, let's say the previous AF and LH pilot strikes...)
    The discussion concerning the English level of some MF crew members is complete rubbish IMHO.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by orbitmic
    I don't want us to go OT as the thread has an important topic and I'm one of those supporting MF and certainly not wanting them to be replaced, but I really think that's plainly wrong. Have you flown on Ryanair? Most of their staff speak perfect English (technically perhaps better than many natives) and they are of excellent quality and skills too. BA itself has plenty of Central European crew members, again, their language skills cannot be faulted and they are certainly not any less good than their counterparts from Britain or any other country. And of course, most of our restaurants and bars in London have been mostly hiring Central European waiting staff for years, and again they are excellent and speak excellent English, as are the colleagues many of us have in nearly every possible professional area.
    Originally Posted by palmanfr
    I did not follow that much the full story about this strike, but if what the unions are saying are true, then I support the strike of the MF cabin crews. In my experience, MF crews always proved to be providing a much better, personalized and friendlier service than Euro or World crews. While I believe that strikes should be done as a last thing in case no agreement can be reached, I think this one is clearly justified (unlike, let's say the previous AF and LH pilot strikes...)
    The discussion concerning the English level of some MF crew members is complete rubbish IMHO.
    Yes, but Ryanair is paid more. If BA recruits their MF CC directly from outside of the UK with a reduced wage (reduced in real terms as obviously BA has no plan on increasing wages), don't you think the standards will fall?
    I am not talking about now. I am saying if the current MF crew leave and have to be replaced, I don't think the people replacing them will be as good as the current ones, be it speaking in English perfectly or their general professionalism.

Anyhow I don't want to burden this thread with this, so if you don't agree with me we will agree to disagree = )
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by orbitmic
    I don't want us to go OT as the thread has an important topic and I'm one of those supporting MF and certainly not wanting them to be replaced, but I really think that's plainly wrong. Have you flown on Ryanair? Most of their staff speak perfect English (technically perhaps better than many natives) and they are of excellent quality and skills too. BA itself has plenty of Central European crew members, again, their language skills cannot be faulted and they are certainly not any less good than their counterparts from Britain or any other country. And of course, most of our restaurants and bars in London have been mostly hiring Central European waiting staff for years, and again they are excellent and speak excellent English, as are the colleagues many of us have in nearly every possible professional area.
    Well said, and as a Brit who has been welcomed working in multiple EU countries even when my language skills were initially severely lacking I find such dross as being spewed out as part of the Brexit debate extremely offensive.

I have never encountered CC on any airline from any nation which could not speak perfectly respectable English. Indeed as already mentioned, sometimes it is of such a level that it can put some "natives" to shame.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
    Originally Posted by rocketship87
    Of course BA don't care about their crew or their customers, they care about shareholders. Shareholders don't care about crew or customers either, only about the stock price and dividends. The price may have rebounded since Brexit but is still far below what it was this time last year. If they raise wages, they need to make up that cost somehow; that's why they are so resistant. It's not personal, it's business.
    What a load of nonsense! I make a living from stock market investments. I can tell you that virtually all genuinely successful companies regard their human resources as being one of the greatest assets of the company. Companies which treat their employees with disdain are actually worth less in the long run to their shareholders. Much research has been done on this topic, and it is crystal clear that a contented workforce earns great dividends for any company. I would not be interested in investing in a company whose management treated their employees with the levels of disrespect that we are seeing with BA vs MF.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by mikebg
    What a load of nonsense! I make a living from stock market investments. I can tell you that virtually all genuinely successful companies regard their human resources as being one of the greatest assets of the company. Companies which treat their employees with disdain are actually worth less in the long run to their shareholders. Much research has been done on this topic, and it is crystal clear that a contented workforce earns great dividends for any company. I would not be interested in investing in a company whose management treated their employees with the levels of disrespect that we are seeing with BA vs MF.
    That is a very naive perspective. Perhaps personal investors are more concerned with long-term growth and success, but IAG don't care about personal investors either. I work in buy side and I can tell you that all of my institutional investors care a lot more about quarterly and year-end earnings than they do about what BA's crew earn. The fact is that IAG needs to cut costs to keep the stock price up, or these clients are going to realize their losses and sell out.

Last edited by rocketship87; Jan 4, 2017 at 6:29 am
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
    Originally Posted by rocketship87
    That is a very naive perspective. Perhaps personal investors are more concerned with long-term growth and success, but IAG don't care about personal investors either ... all of my institutional investors care a lot more about quarterly and year-end earnings
    That goes a long way to explaining why 'institutional investors' do have such a poor long term record (cf Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett).
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
    Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    I am very serious, I was in a Home Office National Insurance Number application centre a while back for my brother who wasn't born in UK and people were bringing interpreters with them as they couldn't speak English!

It is becoming a big issue in the UK, more and more perfectly legal employees due to EU laws do not speak a high standard of English, and with BA offering the pay they are for MF, if standards keep on falling they will have to employ these types of people with English levels that one would not expect from staff of "British Airways".

In fact, while I think it is nice that BA has such multicultural cabin crew on its fleet who are multilingual, it would seriously worry me if there was not even 'one British' CC member or even CSM on board. Call me old fashioned, but I like having a 'national airline' that has at least some staff of that 'nation'. In fact, one of my favourite parts of BA is having mainly British pilots who have the usual ' British' humour and understatement and calmness, and is one reason why I think BA has some of the best pilots in the world, regardless of the recent enhancements.

With most full service airlines, that is the case, and is one factor I feel in making a difference between say Ryanair and Lufthansa, Air France, American Airlines, Air New Zealand, etc. I am worried with the way British Airways is heading with MF, there will be no 'British' CC members left and it will just be a bunch of 20 year olds who came to the UK for 'tourism' purposes for a few years and are ok with the pay BA MF is offering them, who barely speak decent English beyond whats required by the law for CC!
    As I understand if, the job specs for applications include GCSE English at grade C as a minimum, BA can't discriminate against people applying who are from the EU and not the UK as this would be illegal and quite frankly, as long as they can speak good English, I don't see the problem with this , no need for subtle racism.

Sadly, you only have to look at www.cabincrew.com to see that application for BA CC jobs is still very much oversubscribed which does put workers in a vulnerable position.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by navylad
    As I understand if, the job specs for applications include GCSE English at grade C as a minimum, BA can't discriminate against people applying who are from the EU and not the UK as this would be illegal and quite frankly, as long as they can speak good English, I don't see the problem with this , no need for subtle racism.

Sadly, you only have to look at www.cabincrew.com to see that application for BA CC jobs is still very much oversubscribed which does put workers in a vulnerable position.
    We are not talking about racism or discrimination here, we are talking about whether BA can find suitable employees for the amount of money being paid, as i don't see the dispute between BA and MF ending well unless BA radically change their tack.

The fact that you are saying people are queuing to apply is even more worrying!

Maybe the govt should intervene and set the way cabin crew are paid? I am worried the union may not be powerful enough to deal with a multibillion pound multinational like BA.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
    We are not talking about racism or discrimination here, we are talking about whether BA can find suitable employees for the amount of money being paid, as i don't see the dispute between BA and MF ending well unless BA radically change their tack.

The fact that you are saying people are queuing to apply is even more worrying!

Maybe the govt should intervene and set the way cabin crew are paid? I am worried the union may not be powerful enough to deal with a multibillion pound multinational like BA.
    I'd be interested to see some accurate figures, become-cabincrew.com lists mixed fleet average salary as £1250-£1600 after tax compared to Ryanair (whom many on here have stated earn more) as Euros 1200-1500 (currently £1020-£1275). I think low pay is an industry wide problem for CC, presumable due to the other aspects of the job the, at least initially, attract people in.

I hope BA does see this a turning point and invest in good working conditions for their crews as this does lead to a better product as a customer, I know when I worked whilst at university in a call centre, the multinational insurance company i worked for paid way above the average rate and you could genuinely see the difference in quality and loyalty.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:13 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    The government will not intervene in a non-regulated, private business. That's not how it works in the UK, except for setting the legal minimum wage - which doesn't really apply here. Sure, (House of) Commons committees can call Alex Cruz before them and question him on industrial relations, but they don't actually have any power to make him go down a path that he doesn't want to explore.

I also don't subscribe to the 'Eastern European' (or any other country) effect here. The fact is that any new cabin crew will have to base themselves somewhere within commutable distance of LHR, so the cost of living for them will be very similar to that of the existing employees. If current MF crew cannot sensibly afford to live on the existing wages, a new starter potentially starting even further down the seniority chain certainly won't be able to for any length of time. No-one is going pull their lives apart to re-locate to London to take a job that doesn't ostensibly move them forward in terms of disposable income, so I simply don't see an enormous influx from outside the UK unless BA opens bases downstream - which is hardly a cheap option!

The best option here is still for BA to pay a living wage. Anything else just creates pain all round - for crew, for BA in the costs of training replacement staff, and for passengers. If Alex Cruz wants to take on the Union and try and break it (which sounds more like a Willie Walsh edict given past history), it'll just create a lose-lose-lose situation.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    The government will not intervene in a non-regulated, private business. That's not how it works in the UK, except for setting the legal minimum wage - which doesn't really apply here. Sure, (House of) Commons committees can call Alex Cruz before them and question him on industrial relations, but they don't actually have any power to make him go down a path that he doesn't want to explore.

I also don't subscribe to the 'Eastern European' (or any other country) effect here. The fact is that any new cabin crew will have to base themselves somewhere within commutable distance of LHR, so the cost of living for them will be very similar to that of the existing employees. If current MF crew cannot sensibly afford to live on the existing wages, a new starter potentially starting even further down the seniority chain certainly won't be able to for any length of time. No-one is going pull their lives apart to re-locate to London to take a job that doesn't ostensibly move them forward in terms of disposable income, so I simply don't see an enormous influx from outside the UK unless BA opens bases downstream - which is hardly a cheap option!

The best option here is still for BA to pay a living wage. Anything else just creates pain all round - for crew, for BA in the costs of training replacement staff, and for passengers. If Alex Cruz wants to take on the Union and try and break it (which sounds more like a Willie Walsh edict given past history), it'll just create a lose-lose-lose situation.
    Well with both sides seemingly not backing down (why should MF back down anyway they are 100%), I guess I will just get the popcorn out and watch how it develops!
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    A friend of my daughter's tried MF for a couple of years after MF was introduced. Whilst she liked the job, and the travel, there was no way that she could afford to live within sensible commuting distance of LHR on the salary.
    She left and went to work in a shop for more money.

I support the MF crew in doing all they can to get a decent salary - "sector average plus 10%"

On a different note, the Unite support for MF in this situation is very ironic. After Unite/BASSA lost their last dispute with BA, partly because the rest of Unite members in BA disliked BASSA, BA introduced MF as a direct challenge to BASSA.........
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by navylad
    I hope BA does see this a turning point and invest in good working conditions for their crews as this does lead to a better product as a customer, I know when I worked whilst at university in a call centre, the multinational insurance company i worked for paid way above the average rate and you could genuinely see the difference in quality and loyalty.
    Hope is one thing, but can you seriously see this happening!?

BA, under this management, is not going to invest new money in anything, I think that is quite apparent. Even the so-called investment in Club catering is going to be financed from those punters at the back of the plane, not the company itself!

Unfortunately, it seems that MF crew should brace themselves for the worst.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    mikebg has it right. In the long run, those Companies that treat their staff well, consistently, return higher returns to their shareholders than those that treat their staff poorly.

Well researched, and has been written up in HBR a number of times. (HBR, 1998, for instance). The employee-customer-profit chain. .................although it was first researched in Sears, who are not doing as well now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.