Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Make no doubts about it folks, BA will throw the kitchen sink at this. They couldn't possibly have done with a strike at Christmas, it would have been just too horrible to watch - stranded families with children and the like. You can bet your life they're quite happy to take on the crew now when they'd get a bad press anyway with the introduction on BoB.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:14 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    I would assume that discretionary travel is a kind of side-benefit offered at the company's discretion out of their good will. It isn't part of the pay package.
    It may well be although I admit that it surprises me (but may by the way explain the point you made on the commute route which may well be part of the contract), but for the record, the first point of ahmetdouas remains true: this is very much blackmail, and not even subtle one.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by headingwest
    Make no doubts about it folks, BA will throw the kitchen sink at this. They couldn't possibly have done with a strike at Christmas, it would have been just to horrible to watch - stranded families with children and the like. You can bet your life they're quite happy to take on the crew now when they'd get a bad press anyway with the introduction on BoB.
    I agree with you: I think BA's tactic was merely to avoid a xmas/New Year strike. That was their worst case scenario because 1) as you say, it's terrible PR and dreadful image in the media, 2) it would have maximised striking numbers: many people resent losing a day of pay by striking but what the heck, losing a day of pay to spend xmas with your kids is well worth it to most.

They managed that and now the strike will have much less effect. In that sense, I think that what one poster above mentioned about regular mini-strikes would likely be a better strategy for the unions but it is much harder to organise.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:21 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, speculating, BA's strategy was to make an offer just good enough that it sensibly had to be shown to the union membership and delay the strike, but hopefully not good enough to be accepted?
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
    Originally Posted by orbitmic
    It may well be although I admit that it surprises me (but may by the way explain the point you made on the commute route which may well be part of the contract), but for the record, the first point of ahmetdouas remains true: this is very much blackmail, and not even subtle one.
    Not quite the 'Unacceptable Face of Capitalism' but I agree that it doesn't seem to paint a very good picture of the Employer/Employee relationship at BA.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 am

I would assume that discretionary travel is a kind of side-benefit offered at the company's discretion out of their good will. It isn't part of the pay package.
    Custom and Practice would make these benefits implied contractual terms.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    So, speculating, BA's strategy was to make an offer just good enough that it sensibly had to be shown to the union membership and delay the strike, but hopefully not good enough to be accepted?
    Well obviously they would have been over the moon if it had been accepted, but I doubt it was imperative.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
    Well obviously they would have been over the moon if it had been accepted, but I doubt it was imperative.
    Good summary. I think priority no1 was to derail the union's (similarly strategic) choice to 'go for xmas'. Let's say that I suspect BA realised that the new offer would probably not be accepted.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
    To no greater or lesser degree than F&B was included in our short-haul tickets or working IFE (or whatever else) is in the cost of long-haul ones. I'm sure the travel perks are placed front and centre during the advertising and recruitment process for CC roles.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by Lite
    Yes, BA has already said that they will remove concessionary travel for six months of anybody who takes strike action. They will allow commuters to keep it for the route that they commute from.

The offer being given to non-members is the 6p an hour pay rise that members voted against six months ago. They are also paying strike breaking Crew up to £200 for commuting costs, which is about the amount that people were hoping to receive in back pay.

The union said in their communication on New Years Day that they are looking into victimisation.
    And so the dirty game continues. This is disgusting. Actually, maybe I'm being too sentimental here, but I also find it very un-British to be deploying these tactics. How can BA in their right minds think that this will not hurt them in the PR battle?

Lite, I applaud you and your colleagues for sticking to your guns here and wish you a satisfactory outcome. I'll gladly hang around Heathrow next Tuesday if your action results in my flight being cancelled. Heck, maybe some of us BA passengers should publicly show you some support.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:17 am

I must say I find it all extremely sad. About a year and a half ago I always chose BA over other airlines because I really enjoyed the experience. OK, the product was never exceptional, but it was comfortable and as a Brit it really felt 'homely' mostly because of the great hospitality and crew. Since then the relentless cuts have really taken their toll and it's quite shocking what this airline has become - that's just from a passenger's perspective, I can't imagine what it's been like for the employees. Which is why the crew have my 100% support. BA is crying out for new responsible management who know how to treat their employees and protect the BA brand.

To me it's also telling that some of the most active members on this forum who generally tend to spin any enhancement in BA's defence; continuously claim that BA is just as good, if not better, than the competition; praise the professionalism of the employees, have remained completely quiet - not a squeak. Why aren't they supporting the very people who make BA what it is? Are they so afraid of rocking the management boat?
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
    Originally Posted by User Name
    To no greater or lesser degree than F&B was included in our short-haul tickets or working IFE (or whatever else) is in the cost of long-haul ones. I'm sure the travel perks are placed front and centre during the advertising and recruitment process for CC roles.
    Perhaps the affected crew will be offered 1,000 avios as compensation for the withdrawal of this complimentary benefit then...
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    And so the dirty game continues. This is disgusting. Actually, maybe I'm being too sentimental here, but I also find it very un-British to be deploying these tactics. How can BA in their right minds think that this will not hurt them in the PR battle?

Lite, I applaud you and your colleagues for sticking to your guns here and wish you a satisfactory outcome. I'll gladly hang around Heathrow next Tuesday if your action results in my flight being cancelled. Heck, maybe some of us BA passengers should publicly show you some support.
    BA is not run by Brits anymore = ) The chairman is Irish and the CEO Spanish! They could care less about the 'national aspect' of the British Airways brand!
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    BA is not run by Brits anymore = ) The chairman is Irish and the CEO Spanish! They could care less about the 'national aspect' of the British Airways brand!
    Well many of us on here have repeatedly pointed to the British-ness of the crew and general feeling on board as probably the only reason remaining for flying BA. When that is gone there is really nothing left any more. The commodotisation of air travel will not work in their favour when there is no category that they are better at any more.
    Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: BA silver
    Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    Why do you keep insulting other nationalities?
    Just because you don't like/agree with BA management it does not mean that Irish and Spanish people in BA management are not capable of understanding British Airways brand.

I see good and bad on both sides. On a personal level BA management have so far been very understanding and helpful when I needed a flight home urgently due to bereavement so they are not all bad.
    The crew on this flight MIA -LHR were also excellent and supportive and helped us through security quickly at LHR.
    On a poor note my husband and I flew CE TSK-LGW last year and on boarding the plane my Irish husband said hello to the mixed fleet CSM who ignored him looked at her crew member laughing and said " oh we will need an interpreter for that one" it was as if she thought we could not hear!!
    There is good and bad on both sides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.