Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:30 am
    Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
    Good Luck to you all

Wish all the staff of BA well, you deserve much better and you have our support.

It may be to early to tell, but I am due to fly to Oslo on 13th Jan, which would be a flight which could be cxld.

If strike is 11th, would it be 48 hours again?

Trying to figure out if I should cover myself and book with SAS to be safe

All the best ^
    Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
    Uggh, double jeopardy if there's action on the 11th; MAN-LHR-CAI here.

Fully support MF in their endeavours however.
    Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
    I have heard the same from a BA source as well. Looks like the 11th Jan may be a bad day all round for BA!
    Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
    Fully support MF.
    Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    Having flown yesterday and today it really endorses how great the crew are and can make your flight for you so it reinforces my support for the crew. Without them we wouldn't be getting from A - B. Hope the union use some of the crew from the LAS a/c fire to show what lifesavers really mean to BA.
    Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
    Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
    Having flown yesterday and today it really endorses how great the crew are and can make your flight for you so it reinforces my support for the crew. Without them we wouldn't be getting from A - B. Hope the union use some of the crew from the LAS a/c fire to show what lifesavers really mean to BA.
    I flew this route "tonight". The MF are certainly up to scratch and certainly in the top decile of crews I've had (that's from a qualitative memory, not quantitative). Looked after everyone v well on a substantially delayed service. Oliver and his crew were right up there.
    Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:42 pm
    Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
    Originally Posted by rossmacd
    11th January is the date when the fun and games begin
    interesting to see how stripped out the lounges are by the 12th then. I m sure plenty of anything removable will leave pretty quickly. Let's see how filthy the cabins are after a week of pret mayo and maccy d grease over the seats...
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
    Looks like the offer was rejected.
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
    Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
    Looks like the offer was rejected.
    I flew an MF route yesterday and had a chat with the lovely crew. I was told that about 70% rejected the new deal, which by the way was referred to by the said crew as the old deal "re-packaged". New strike date expected to be 11 January as others have indicated.

I can't help but feel they found the best way (day?) to "stick it to the man".
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
    Christmas would have been a better day to strike. The volunteers would have been less likely to give up their Christmas. It's now quite a quiet time until February half term kicks in. Maybe it will now need to be a prolonged series of strikes to get the deal they truly deserve.
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by zat_dude
    I can't help but feel they found the best way (day?) to "stick it to the man".
    I couldn't agree more. If the press haven't really latched onto the fact that BA is becoming a no-frills airline, a strike on the launch day would bring it to the public's attention. You can just imagine the reporter on the breakfast news ''This is particularly disappointing for BA management on the day they intended to introduce buy on board food and drinks.'' Oh how my heart would bleed for poor Willie.
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
    In many ways BOB day would be easier for BA to manage. They can just say 'due to industrial action the service is reduced to free drinks only' the volunteers can all serve drinks. It would just delay the start of meaningful stats on the success of BOB.
    So long as the flights operate most pax wouldn't be too inconvenienced by it.
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:38 am
    sxc
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
    I'm not sure if a strike on the day of the start of BOB is a good idea as it risks the two issues being mixed together by the media. "Crew go on strike as they are asked to start charging passengers for food."
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:38 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
    Originally Posted by A P Yu
    In many ways BOB day would be easier for BA to manage. They can just say 'due to industrial action the service is reduced to free drinks only' the volunteers can all serve drinks. It would just delay the start of meaningful stats on the success of BOB.
    So long as the flights operate most pax wouldn't be too inconvenienced by it.
    They are not going to start lying about the enhancement that is BoB. However, given the fails of their marketing team of late, I would not be surprised.

Go MF!
    Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    But that's not what you said in post 7. You said no pay rise at all in 6 years, when it appears that there was actually a pay rise every year for many (just not the right sort of pay rise) - you really couldn't make it up.

As for shareholders in IAG being publicly supportive of the action, I would be interested where and when this support manifested itself.
    I am a shareholder in IAG (only a very small holding) even although I am not the person referenced above.

I think that BA (like any company) will prosper and do well if it provides a good service to customers who feel valued -from staff who are decently rewarded, motivated and similarly valued.

I complained to BA about the wording of of their press statement about the MF strike and their Press Office wrote to me back-tracking on the wording and I replied to that, making it very clear that I thought BA's behaviour unacceptable and that all their staff deserved to be decently paid and to feel valued. They did not reply.

I have simply stopped buying revenue tickets with BA. I used to love flying with them. A nice seat with lots of legroom in CE was a really nice way to spend your time. Its not fun anymore. There is a scrummy with hand-luggage, the seats are cramped and recline less, now no food and drink in ET, much less avios and charges for GCH to do lots of things like reserve a seat on HBO or to change Avios bookings.

BA are still one of an okay-ish bunch of airlines on the routes I travel and I am happy to spend my Avios to fly on an E90 or in an Exit row. Lately when I think of going somewhere. I think to myself "no BA aren't nice to me or to their staff, I don't want to give them my money". I travel when I need to rather than travelling for fun.

I also have stopped trusting BA as they just lie in their press statements and pretend every change is fabulous.

One day hopefully BA will go back to valuing their staff and customers again

Last edited by WeLoveSpace; Jan 2, 2017 at 2:19 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.