Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:37 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    The quote attributed to BA was quite clear. Nobody earns less than £21k. If it was manifestly incorrect you would have thought that unite would be waving around P60's showing lower figures.
    They may not have done so because of the agreement between the two parties not to publish propaganda ahead of the ACAS talks. BA seem to have broken that agreement, although for some reason that doesn't come as much of a surprise given how they've behaved throughout the dispute.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 20, 2016 at 11:54 am
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    4000 iCsps, I bet they are proud of themselves!
    There's about 2,000 people left in WTS, 2,500/3,000 including the connies, IAG and American Airlines. Engineers can't be iCSP, Customer Service can't be iCSP, and if you're on the Customer Response Team you can't be iCSP. I'd be astounded if the number is 1/10 of that, including those who are "volunteered" (read Graduates and Apprentices).

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
    BA have just sent out redundancy notices to 140 staff in Germany this week, just before Christmas.
    So I guess it is OK to ruin the Christmas of their own loyal staff, just seems rather heartless to do this so close to Christmas.
    Well, 2 years ago the entire IT Support got the "sod off" note late in the second week of December... nothing new under the sun.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    They may not have done so because of the agreement between the two parties not to publish propaganda ahead of the ACAS talks.
    But if it was true it wouldn't be propaganda. Also, the £21k article which I saw on the BBC website also had quotes from Unite (including a moan that pilots get 15% higher meal allowance than cabin crew).

One as bad as the other I guess?
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:01 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    It's all smoke and mirrors with BA, you only have to look at the number of empty aircraft BA had taking off and landing try and boost the number of flights operated during the last strike.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by Globaliser
    It's also possible for gals too.
    In American English guys is unisex = )

It's all smoke and mirrors with BA, you only have to look at the number of empty aircraft BA had taking off and landing try and boost the number of flights operated during the last strike.
    So basically the strike cost BA a lot more money than the salary increase that could have been given to cabin crew?
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    Full schedule?

Guys is this possible?
    You need to translate the doublespeak.

You'll notice they didn't say 'no flights are cancelled'.

They removed MF shorthaul flights from the schedule so now, yes, they will operate their full schedule for the days (minus the ones no longer on the schedule).
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
    Originally Posted by MarkFlies
    You need to translate the doublespeak.

You'll notice they didn't say 'no flights are cancelled'.

They removed MF shorthaul flights from the schedule so now, yes, they will operate their full schedule for the days (minus the ones no longer on the schedule).
    That is not correct, they have reinstated all shorthaul.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Littlegirl
    That is not correct, they have reinstated all shorthaul.
    They have said that they are expecting with the contingency measures they've put in place over the weekend that they should be able to operate a full shorthaul schedule. Those measures include overtime being offered on both shorthaul fleets, paying up to £200 in taxis or £300 travel expenses for those willing to cross the picket line and operating flights with minimum crew and volunteer cabin crew, the iCSPs. There will definitely be those who are tempted, particularly by the overtime in light of the low pay scales and this difficult time of year, and of course it is everyone's personal choice based on their own experience and situation as to whether they choose to withdraw their labour or not. I will continue to stand by the union with this one, particularly with the continued inflammatory comments given out by our CEO, who far from viewing us as frontline customer facing assets and colleagues view us as a frustrating and necessary costbase.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:01 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think that any of the iCSPs are trained on shorthaul aircraft types just the B744 and B777?
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:03 pm

I don't think that any of the iCSPs are trained on shorthaul aircraft types just the B744 and B777?
    You're right lovely CIHY but Cabin Crew aren't guaranteed their original trips, so when people report they'll be rolled onto whatever isn't covered. So iCSP can do Jumbo and Triple Seven flights and actual cabin crew can do the 380, Dreamliner and shorthaul.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:06 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what I think they will do lovely Lite but I am just hoping that your colleagues willl support you and that the iSCPs won't want to work at Christmas, only time will tell.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post

I was told at the time by a captain friend who operates out of LHR that many if not all "empty" planes were filled with cargo, and bringing in the revenue that way. Also fewer pax can mean more cargo. He said at the time that if aircraft were sent empty of pax due to the way the schedules and pax loads were working during the strike, that they likely were just being positioned with or without CC on board. But with full cargo holds which made them very viable flights.

He wasn't under the impression that it was a PR exercise at all. But I do recall the union making hay out of empty planes at the time. That's why I asked him what was going on. Unless he was misinformed.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:10 pm

That's what I think they will do lovely Lite but I am just hoping that your colleagues willl support you and that the iSCPs won't want to work at Christmas, only time will tell.
    The union has brought out some comms about the quantity and quality of the strike breaking crew this evening. It's become something of a tragic soap opera in our house and also waiting to see whether any progress can or will be made at ACAS like in the Swissport case.
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:12 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the many plane spotters would beg to differ, they record the registrations of all aircraft taking off and landing, many longhaul aircraft came back to roost within the hour!
    Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
    On Eurofleet none of us have been sent any comms or offered any overtime as yet or any extra payments but usually shorthaul crew are allowed to put their names down to take adhock leave on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and this year obviously no leave has been given.

I wish you luck Lite but I actually think on Christmas Day they won't need to use any iCSPs as with those M/F who don't want to strike together with E/F crew who are now doing standbys on Christmas Day and WW and most likely LGW standby crews too, I think they will be able to crew all the flights.

I hope the ACARS talks are sucessful for you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.