Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by layz
    But some crew on here have said they're unlikely to hit £21k (even that is too low for London) - I trust the posters on here more than BA's PR.
    Absolutely!

In my last industrial action ballot, the Daily Hate was given figures by my management, and quoted a top salary of one member of staff, which was supposed to show we were all vastly overpaid.

Of course these figures were nothing like accurate, and they refused a FoI request for the real information.

All I see is exactly the same management school in action at BA.
    And it's disgusting.

Good luck MF
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:03 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    The hourly rate that MF get is instead of meal allowances and should be used to pay for meals when away on trips, I know that I spend my meal allowances on food as should MF crew.
    Adding the hourly rate to the basic pay to make it sound like they earn more is just wrong.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:11 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    Absolutely!

In my last industrial action ballot, the Daily Hate was given figures by my management, and quoted a top salary of one member of staff, which was supposed to show we were all vastly overpaid.

Of course these figures were nothing like accurate, and they refused a FoI request for the real information.

All I see is exactly the same management school in action at BA.
    And it's disgusting.

Good luck MF
    FOI law dies not apply to private companies.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA
    This is a relatively minor strike that will have a minimal impact on operations, at least from a customer perspective. However, the strikers have (IMO) a valid reason to do so. The purpose of striking now is to force BA's hand to offer a better deal, something of which has been elusive for nearly a year now. This is no 09/10 strike, nor is it an RMT strike - ulterior motives are nowhere to be seen. (I'm not so clued up on the Post Office one) If the current attitude prevails, I fully expect that this will come back to hurt the company in the end.

With an eye on what is going on behind the scenes at HQ, certain members of management should be ashamed. My loyalty to the job has been tested so many times over the recent years. It's now becoming really quite hard to keep one's mouth shut.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
    BA have just sent out redundancy notices to 140 staff in Germany this week, just before Christmas.
    So I guess it is OK to ruin the Christmas of their own loyal staff, just seems rather heartless to do this so close to Christmas.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Dec 19, 2016 at 1:31 pm
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:27 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Well said Littlegirl, say it as it is.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
    BA have just sent out redundancy notices to 140 staff in Germany this week, just before Christmas.
    So I guess it is OK to ruin the Christmas of their own loyal staff, just seems rather heartless to do this so close to Christmas.
    Can i ask where these 140 staff are...airport or contact centre? Also do you have a link for this?
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
    If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), it does seem the most insensitive timing.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:47 pm

Airport staff at German airports. Strange that BA are so upset at their crew 'ruining Christmas' when they're doing far worse to these German staff.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
    All the German ground staff at the varrious airports in Germany are being outsourced.

I don't have a link as I was personally told by one of the said staff. I imagine if you can type in German you could get a link via Google, I doubt it has been picked up by the English speaking press.

I only mention it because it seems rather ironic to be doing this at the same time as saying your own cabin crew are heartless.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Dec 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
    FOI law dies not apply to private companies.
    I know.
    It was refused under privacy grounds, after the press were informed of what the highest salary was.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
    I have every sympathy with the guys on mixed fleet contracts.

However, I can't help but feel this is half-hearted grandstanding and I find myself asking why? Why time the vote to enable striking over quieter days, causing the least disruption to the company?

Surely more effect would have been achieved by taking maximum advantage by going out between Christmas and New Year, or on January 2nd and 3rd when people are returning home for the re-commencemt of work after the Christmas break?

Is it to lessen the financial loss on those who are going to strike as they will most likely be off anyway?

I reaffirm, I am 100% behind the pursuance of better terms and reward for those on Mixed Fleet, but I can't see what is going to be gained by what I see as this symbolic action.
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:34 pm

Just doing a quick calculation based on BA's figures, if someone is on the quoted £12k starting salary, to then reach total "earnings" of £21k by topping up with the £3.00 per flying hour, they would need to paid for 3,000 such hours across the year, c.60 hours a week. Is that realistic?
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    The hourly rate that MF get is instead of meal allowances and should be used to pay for meals when away on trips, I know that I spend my meal allowances on food as should MF crew.
    Adding the hourly rate to the basic pay to make it sound like they earn more is just wrong.
    From the above, am I right in thinking that BA treat the £3.00 per hour as covering meals whilst their MF staff travel away from their home base? If so.... is this £3.00 per hour treated as tax-free? (as in treated as a per diem expense according to HMRC's guidelines). If that is the scenario, I honestly can't see any justification for why BA would calculate £3.00 as part of a £21k salary in a job advert. Indeed, I know some accountants would never term that £3.00 per house as 'income' but instead as a 'reimbursement' of reasonably expected expenses incurred from working away from base location (I recognise that nobody here is terming that £3.00 an hour to be 'income'). Personally, I think that reimbursement of expenses is significantly different to salaried income... to me, £12k annual salary + per-diem based reimbursement of expenses seems like a terrible deal for cabin crew whilst a great deal for BA management. I wonder if, excluding the £3.00 per hour, how the 12k compares to the national minimum wage or national living wage- I honestly don't know the weekly hours of cabin crew so can't comment on that, or even if my interpretation is valid.

I won't pretend to know much about the scenario or compensation arrangements for cabin crew, so I'm just offering some thoughts and see where the conversation leads (if anywhere). I hope that this doesn't anger anybody, and I'm intending to be constructive and add to the conversation. Please do tell me if my interpretation is incorrect, and I apologise if it is. If it is unhelpful, please do ask a moderator to delete the post (or I can edit/delete it myself). I am aware we are talking about individual livelihoods.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Dec 19, 2016 at 3:42 pm
    Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
    Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
    Just doing a quick calculation based on BA's figures, if someone is on the quoted £12k starting salary, to then reach total "earnings" of £21k by topping up with the £3.00 per flying hour, they would need to paid for 3,000 such hours across the year, c.60 hours a week. Is that realistic?
    That seems to be the maths, yes. It'd be 60 hours of 'duty time' which includes report in at LHR, flying time, time at destination, flying time, report out. Doesn't translate very well to try and compare to a 9-5 job, as the low hourly rate covers required rest time too. It isn't only for actual flying hours.

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
    From the above, am I right in thinking that BA treat the £3.00 per hour as covering meals whilst their MF staff travel away from their home base?
    Yes, but not sure how it is taxed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.