Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:40 pm

It's greatly to his (which is to say our) credit etc

I've been a member of this parish a dozen years or so, longer if you count the time I was a lurker.

Rightly, the BAEC forum is regarded as one of the jewels in the crown of FT. Knowledge, whimsy, good humour: we're the light in the darkness.

We also used to talk about fish when the mood struck us. And how spotwelder arranged himself for sleeping in premium cabins. Great memories.

Traditionally as a forum we have let ourselves down whenever strikes have been an issue. Threads about fat people on planes and children in premium cabins have hardly been our finest hours, either.

I'm impressed by how measured and non-inflammatory the tone of this thread has been, certainly in comparison to the toxic bun-fights in years gone by.

I suspect this owes a little to deft moderation.

But anyway. Well done us. Let us continue to disagree when we disagree but also not be d!cks about it when we do.
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by knifeandfork
    I've been a member of this parish a dozen years or so, longer if you count the time I was a lurker.

Rightly, the BAEC forum is regarded as one of the jewels in the crown of FT. Knowledge, whimsy, good humour: we're the light in the darkness.

We also used to talk about fish when the mood struck us. And how spotwelder arranged himself for sleeping in premium cabins. Great memories.

Traditionally as a forum we have let ourselves down whenever strikes have been an issue. Threads about fat people on planes and children in premium cabins have hardly been our finest hours, either.

I'm impressed by how measured and non-inflammatory the tone of this thread has been, certainly in comparison to the toxic bun-fights in years gone by.

I suspect this owes a little to deft moderation.

But anyway. Well done us. Let us continue to disagree when we disagree but also not be d!cks about it when we do.
    I think this is more likely due to a wide understanding and agreement with Mixed Fleet grievences.
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
    To ask a selfish question: my honeymoon flight is BA015 to SYD on 24 December which I think is an MF flight.

Does this mean if the strike goes ahead a chance that once we get to SIN, they'll kick us off the plane and we'll need to wait around for the strike to end?
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
    Originally Posted by a330boston
    Well it looks like my trip is barely going to squeak through...
    1. BA strikes the day after I fly them
    2. Swissport @ LHR dont do BA flights
    So I guess we will be having that chaat in VNS, kulfi in DEL, kulcha in ATQ, and mathi varathathu w/ my family @ COK/CCJ

...Life is good...

As long as 6E and SG don't unexpectedly f**k up
    Somehow this post boasting that "life is good" feels a tad insensitive in a conversation about decent hard working crew who barely get enough to live on

I too have a flight that "squeaks through" but somehow my thoughts are about the injustices facing mixed fleet.

Separately, I have complained to customer services about the wording of the Twitter feed
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:55 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by expataus
    To ask a selfish question: my honeymoon flight is BA015 to SYD on 24 December which I think is an MF flight.

Does this mean if the strike goes ahead a chance that once we get to SIN, they'll kick us off the plane and we'll need to wait around for the strike to end?
    I would be reasonably confident that won't happen. Have a look upthread (e.g. post 654) to see about how the strike will operate: just one crew report location is affected, and that is LHR Terminal 5 (though that also covers T3 by proxy), and the dates are also clearly set down. Crew who are already in the system during the strike days will continue to work until their next report occasion. I hope you have a great honeymoon, congratulations on your forthcoming (or indeed past) wedding.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 18, 2016 at 2:01 am
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:38 am
    Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
    Originally Posted by knifeandfork

Actually - we even had a couple of TFTGs about Jewel (and Bunny) - odd thing is our paths sort of crossed on WW recently. Strange that.
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Apologies, I haven't read all thread to see if this question has been covered.

I'm booked on 27th to LHR-JFK at 9:40am which I know with present information should be fine, but just wondering due to knock-on effect of rebooking for others from 24th/25th if we should expect T5 to be very busy morning of 27th, or just normal?
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:11 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by MCM1
    I'm booked on 27th to LHR-JFK at 9:40am which I know with present information should be fine, but just wondering due to knock-on effect of rebooking for others from 24th/25th if we should expect T5 to be very busy morning of 27th, or just normal?
    Mystic Meg hasn't posted for a while in this forum, but normally the week between Christmas and New Year is very quiet and a great time to be in T5. Subject to any weather issues, I would think it would be fine for you.
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    Mystic Meg hasn't posted for a while in this forum, but normally the week between Christmas and New Year is very quiet and a great time to be in T5. Subject to any weather issues, I would think it would be fine for you.
    Thanks C-W-S, just not sure what to expect the first morning after a strike, if they put on more flights etc.
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    Have a look upthread (e.g. post 654) to see about how the strike will operate
    I'd missed the earlier post and not appreciated how things work.

Assuming only the 1200 that voted for strike action will actually withdraw their labour, then how many of the 1200 would be due to log on at base during the first day of the strike? Also what happens if the cabin crew don't turn up but the pilots do. Will they fly empty to their destination if there are passengers and crew who are due to return during the strike period?
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
    I'd missed the earlier post and not appreciated how things work.

Assuming only the 1200 that voted for strike action will actually withdraw their labour, then how many of the 1200 would be due to log on at base during the first day of the strike? Also what happens if the cabin crew don't turn up but the pilots do. Will they fly empty to their destination if there are passengers and crew who are due to return during the strike period?
    Bit of speculation here. It's not just the 1200, it's all the Unite members who could potentially and legitimately go on strike, it's a secret postal ballot so you can't read across like that. That's 2000 or so members, plus any recent joiners who wouldn't have been entitled to vote. Some may still work even if they voted Yes, but my opening assumption would be covered by the 311 No voters, many of whom will go on strike despite the way they voted. Not all of them would be scheduled to go through Crew Report Centre - they are on leave, downroute, out of hours and so on, so I guess only a minority of the 2000 would be due to go through CRC. The "fly empty" issue may happen, but in reality if you look at the destination lists only a few are night stops and not for all services either. My guess is that they'll scrub the back to back trips to MAN, ABZ, HAJ, HAM, DUS and what-not if they don't have enough crew on the day.
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by stimpy
    Just my personal opinion, but I think your glasses are rose coloured.
    Seat 1A? You arent Alex Cruz on this forum under another name are you? = )))

Originally Posted by psing
    Any thoughts on domestic to longhaul flights? I'm booked on the following:

25 Dec BA1395 MAN-LHR
    25 Dec BA0287 LHR-SFO

I'm thinking that rebooking MAN-LHR for 24 Dec is my best option but I don't want to jump the gun if there is a possibility that the 25 Dec flight won't be cancelled.
    If i were you i would hold fire until the cancelled flights get posted. Worst case they'll put you on an earlier flight and put you in a hotel, or find an arrangement where you take another airline/train which means you won't really be out of pocket if BA refund that leg for you or make other arrangements. Keep us up to date!
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:47 am

I am due to fly from LHR to LCA on the 26th 11.20am flight, I can see this should apparently not be affected by the strike action, but I am flying with two children and if long delays are a possible knock on effect I may consider swapping dates. I am a total novice here, so with your great wealth of knowledge and experience, what would you do is this situation ? (We are flying CE so at least I can take them up to the lounge)
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:54 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Nikki Spoiler
    I am due to fly from LHR to LCA on the 26th 11.20am flight, I can see this should apparently not be affected by the strike action, but I am flying with two children and if long delays are a possible knock on effect I may consider swapping dates. I am a total novice here, so with your great wealth of knowledge and experience, what would you do is this situation ? (We are flying CE so at least I can take them up to the lounge)
    As you say not on the list of MF routes and the routes BA has noted may be disrupted so tbh I really wouldn't worry about it. No reason to think your flight should be affected.
    Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC silver
    Whilst many agree with the MF grievances on their conditions, is it just me or does this strike stink as being part of a coordinated union attempt the damage the government?? Too many key infrastructure strikes at the same time, IMHO the MF crew are being used as union pawns despite what they might think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.