Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    BA are only offering an audit because lots of us have suffered with their untruths and know that they cannot be trusted. Their last letter to me contained a terminological inexactitude. They have great trouble in this regime telling the truth.
    Every bit of cost saving - of reducing what the customer gets for their money - is called an enhancement. They now live by spin.

In BAs view, what you and I would call expenses are now included in salary.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:13 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
    Question....There are claims further up this thread of UNITE gaining another 800 Mixed Fleet members since the ballot; what is their status regarding industrial action? Are they covered as they are UNITE members, or are they not covered as they joined following the ballot?
    Good question. I would tend to think that any member of a union would have the same status regardless of when they joined. The strike is based on the overall vote of the membership and not on individual preferences so it shouldn't make a difference if they did or did not, could or could not have voted.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
    Originally Posted by Leeski
    I've just checked, and during the previous strike, BA846 which I will be on was operated by a Titan sub on both days. Does anyone know if chosen seats will be honoured?
    yes they were for me, but watch out for seat plan differences!
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:24 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    I appreciate that there is a fundamental breakdown in trust between company and workforce, which may be driving your views (I don't suppose that Willie Walsh was on too many Christmas card lists this year). However, people who sit on the other side of the fence may be equally sceptical of the motives of UNITE (for example their apparent reluctance to address the £21k issue).

The broader point I was making is whether it's reasonable to support MF it you don't know if they are asking for a 5% pay rise or 55%?
    My guess, if they really haven't had a pay rise for 6 years, is that it's somewhere between the two .

I'm also persuaded by the measured way in which actual, live MF members have posted in here. There can't be anyone that hasn't been impressed by the way Lite has calmly articulated the MF position, and those contributions suggest that whatever is being asked for, it's not outrageous. I'm struck that whilst BA and Unite play what is essentially a game, the real people act with more dignity than anyone. More than anything else, that's what influences me to trust CC ahead of BA.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:27 pm

From Simon Calder's article:

But the two sides do not agree on the issue at the heart of the dispute: how much Mixed Fleet cabin crew actually earn in a year.

The union says: “Basic pay starts at just £12,192 with £3 an hour flying pay.” The £3 is paid for all hours on duty, whether or not the employee is in the air. Unite estimates that the average member of Mixed Fleet earns £16,000 annually, including allowances.

Yet BA says it has checked the pay of full-time Mixed Fleet crew, and the least that anyone earned in a year was £21,151. The average was over £24,000 — 50 per cent higher than the union’s estimate.

A spokesperson for BA said: “Our audited payroll data, which we’ve offered to share with Unite, includes the salaries of all Mixed Fleet crew, including new starters on basic pay of £12,192. We made it clear that our figure was based on those working full time.”
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
    From Simon Calder's article:

But the two sides do not agree on the issue at the heart of the dispute: how much Mixed Fleet cabin crew actually earn in a year.

The union says: “Basic pay starts at just £12,192 with £3 an hour flying pay.” The £3 is paid for all hours on duty, whether or not the employee is in the air. Unite estimates that the average member of Mixed Fleet earns £16,000 annually, including allowances.

Yet BA says it has checked the pay of full-time Mixed Fleet crew, and the least that anyone earned in a year was £21,151. The average was over £24,000 — 50 per cent higher than the union’s estimate.

A spokesperson for BA said: “Our audited payroll data, which we’ve offered to share with Unite, includes the salaries of all Mixed Fleet crew, including new starters on basic pay of £12,192. We made it clear that our figure was based on those working full time.”
    I struggle to see how the MF crew are picking up a minimum of £8959 of salary with £3 p.h. allowances, even acknowledging that this is not based on hours worked but hours to/from base. It still works out with them being paid over 60 hours per week when holidays are accounted for.

To get to the average of £24k, this would equate to another 950 hours a year paid.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by strichener
    I struggle to see how the MF crew are picking up a minimum of £8959 of salary with £3 p.h. allowances, even acknowledging that this is not based on hours worked but hours to/from base. It still works out with them being paid over 60 hours per week when holidays are accounted for.

To get to the average of £24k, this would equate to another 950 hours a year paid.
    Yes, it seems odd - yet BA sound confident - a good reason in favour of an audit. It would help to get to the bottom of this matter, with these two very different positions.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Same here. Since they both agree on the bottom basic pay, instead of an audit which is just a gimmick to delay things and gain time, BA could give an immediate example of what the £21xxx is made of in addition to the £12192 basic pay. They do not need an audit, just an explanation and it will be easy to figure out if they have a case or are lying.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
    Same here. Since they both agree on the bottom basic pay, instead of an audit which is just a gimmick to delay things and gain time, BA could give an immediate example of what the £21xxx is made of in addition to the £12192 basic pay. They do not need an audit, just an explanation and it will be easy to figure out if they have a case or are lying.
    But if they did that, given the mistrust in BA (and which is is evident in your post above), people wouldn't believe them. Instead, a proper audit can be trusted.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:11 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    There can't be anyone that hasn't been impressed by the way Lite has calmly articulated the MF position ...
    +1 - although I think I may have said this before.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:12 pm

The first casualty of war is.....

To be honest pay depends on MF rosters. More time away equates to more money, so long haul rosters are better earners.

A 4 day JNB is 60 hours x £3. Mixed with a few other LH and SH trips. Perhaps 200-300 hours away a month. All x £3. So it could be approx extra £6000 to £9000 depending on rosters before bonus' etc.

Last edited by BApilotinsider; Jan 13, 2017 at 3:22 pm
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:13 pm

A 3 day US trip is worth 48hrs, 4 day JNB 56-59 hrs, 9 day SYD 178hrs. Its not hard when you spend half your life away. I'm way over 250 hrs away this month and it's a very quiet one. (I'm also long haul onlynwhich bumps it up a bit)

That said, it is to cover downroute expenses so how much should count as salary is up for debate. (Just ask the taxman!)

Theres also the company wide bonus scheme to add a (tiny) bit.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    I struggle to see how the MF crew are picking up a minimum of £8959 of salary with £3 p.h. allowances
    I was under the impression that there were other revenue streams available to CC including bonus and commission.

It would be nice to have a breakdown of BA's £21k as well as UNITE's £16k. Whereas BA obviously have the exact figures, I suspect that UNITE are to a certain extent guessing.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
    But if they did that, given the mistrust in BA (and which is is evident in your post above), people wouldn't believe them. Instead, a proper audit can be trusted.
    I disagree with you. They haven't tried but if the figures they can provide make sense, people will hear, maybe begrudgingly, but they will hear nonetheless. And if people do not believe them, then sure, they can offer an audit, they do not need anyone's authorisation for that, it's their accounts. But unless cabin crew are investment bankers and I was unaware of it, the notion that in the worst case scenario, MF crew make 75% bonus income on top of their basic pay is, indeed, to say the least, surprising.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
    It would be nice to have a breakdown of BA's £21k as well as UNITE's £16k.
    Exactly.

PS: BA having access to the figures does not, obviously, imply that this is necessarily what they are presenting us. For example, it would be inconceivable for anyone (in that job or any other) to have expense reimbursement (or what amounts to it) considered as counting towards one's salary, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.