Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:46 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Flying both just before and just after the strike...
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Is there a list of all the cancellations from the strike on the 10/11th?
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
    Originally Posted by squawk
    Good heavens, even without a strike that sounds like herding cats Having to find appropriate re-arrangements (whether flight or train) would not be much fun. Good luck to you!
    Well, they are not all kids, in fact they are pretty much all adults, with just a couple of babies. Not all ours either, there are some other relatives as well who I booked together with us (used the extra Avios availability for Golds).

(Out of curiosity, is your final destination ever so slightly south of the river Tyne?)
    Good guess!
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:04 am

Does anyone knows if the strike affect other non-mf routes? Like DUB.

I'm booked on the 838 to DUB on 21st for a short tier points run, and kind of worried if there will be cancellation as I'm just going for dinner with family and back to London in few hours.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by mikebg
    Well, they are not all kids, in fact they are pretty much all adults, with just a couple of babies. Not all ours either, there are some other relatives as well who I booked together with us (used the extra Avios availability for Golds).
    Ah, but herding adults can sometimes be as much fun as herding kids! I once organised a ski trip for seven of us – logistical nightmare. To be fair, even keeping track of my own parents in an airport can sometimes stretch my skills to the limit

Makes a lot of sense as a Gold to do that. I hope you have a trouble-free journey, and are unaffected by the strike.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:12 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Skyrocker

I'm booked on the 838 to DUB on 21st for a short tier points run, and kind of worried if there will be cancellation as I'm just going for dinner with family and back to London in few hours.
    See my reply to a similar query earlier re NCL route http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27753685-post1559.html

No reason to think DUB would be affected. All BA DUB flights ran during the last strike.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:17 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

It could affect anything as staff from other fleets are pulled in to cover Mixed Fleet routes. DUB is a route where there are, of course, multiple daily flights for BA to move you on to, including EI without downgrade compensation if you happen to be in Y.

I don't believe it was affected during the last strike, but of course this one is longer so BA might have to look at greater consolidation this time. You'd be unlucky, but I wouldn't be entirely confident there won't be some impact.

I'm afraid it really is a wait and see until Monday - very difficult to second guess what BA might do.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:21 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squawk
    Ah, but herding adults can sometimes be as much fun as herding kids!
    Have you met Jamier45?
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    See my reply to a similar query earlier re NCL route http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27753685-post1559.html

No reason to think DUB would be affected. All BA DUB flights ran during the last strike.
    Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    It could affect anything as staff from other fleets are pulled in to cover Mixed Fleet routes. DUB is a route where there are, of course, multiple daily flights for BA to move you on to, including EI without downgrade compensation if you happen to be in Y.

I don't believe it was affected during the last strike, but of course this one is longer so BA might have to look at greater consolidation this time. You'd be unlucky, but I wouldn't be entirely confident there won't be some impact.

I'm afraid it really is a wait and see until Monday - very difficult to second guess what BA might do.
    In worst case scenario, If I'm booked into CE, would BA re-book me with EI in Y, and still get my CE tier points/avios?

Fingers crossed that everything go as planned. And that BA just listen to the union. I believe what the union is asking for is reasonable.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:47 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    In worst case scenario, If I'm booked into CE, would BA re-book me with EI in Y, and still get my CE tier points/avios?

Fingers crossed that everything go as planned. And that BA just listen to the union. I believe what the union is asking for is reasonable.
    You could argue that's a best case scenario - downgrade compensation under EC261 and ORC!

I would think that the reality is that anyone booked in CE would remain there, with the possibility of being moved to a different BA flight if the original was cancelled. It's those in Y who are more likely to be inconvenienced. There's also the possibility of LCY flights in CE, so it's unlikely you'd be entirely stranded.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    You could argue that's a best case scenario - downgrade compensation under EC261 and ORC!

I would think that the reality is that anyone booked in CE would remain there, with the possibility of being moved to a different BA flight if the original was cancelled. It's those in Y who are more likely to be inconvenienced. There's also the possibility of LCY flights in CE, so it's unlikely you'd be entirely stranded.
    Totally agree, won't mind taking flight from LCY. thank you for your time.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Leeski
    Couldn't find one so I just checked my STR-LHR-STR flight and realised that one day they cancelled the morning, the next the evening flight.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:13 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
    Am flying on 19th.
    But from the little impact the strike had in its first installment, I assume that it will have even less impact. And I guess that it will be the last installment unless something spectacular happens.
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
    I am doing back to back to GOT [it was one of the affected routes in the last strike] on the 19th, with two separate tickets.

If they both get cancelled, I might have to slum it in the EY F lounge at T4 until 8pm flight
    Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Leeski
    +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.