Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:14 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by kauppias
    I read a post that said ba had "enhanced" some aspects of F service during the last strike, was that only on MF routes or all flights?

Flying F on the 19th so just wondering...
    No, it affected some non-MF routes I believe but I think passengers were pro-actively informed when it affected their flight (and given 10,000 avios as compensation).
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    Accept the point on staff travel. If BA are including all these bonusses in their calculation of MF minimum salary, then they cannot be discretionary. It would therefore IMHO be unfair (illegal?) to remove them ad-hoc and only for striking staff. Apart from that, it's downright provocative.
    Well, I don't know why a company would give a payoff for having met incentives to people who are actively harming the company via strike action. I assume strike action is the *last* thing a company would want to reward with bonuses.

Now just to add an element of reality here, neither bonus payments for profitability nor a minimum of 21k annual pay are the *rule* in the service sector.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
    Originally Posted by orbitmic
    No, it affected some non-MF routes I believe but I think passengers were pro-actively informed when it affected their flight (and given 10,000 avios as compensation).
    Ok, I wonder how far in advance they were told...

To be honest ba F isnt all that much as it is, so to cut back even more would be dissappointing for sure...😄
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by kauppias
    Ok, I wonder how far in advance they were told...

To be honest ba F isnt all that much as it is, so to cut back even more would be dissappointing for sure...😄
    It's mentioned on some threads here. IIRC about 48 hours before the flight or something like that.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
    Well, I don't know why a company would give a payoff for having met incentives to people who are actively harming the company via strike action. I assume strike action is the *last* thing a company would want to reward with bonuses.
    Except when quoting "salary" figures eh?
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
    To add to Lite's post, BA only met its punctuality target in Q1 in 2016, and frequently has missed Customer Voice score targets as well. So that will directly impact upon My Incentive payments.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:38 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by TWEED1A
    To add to Lite's post, BA only met its punctuality target in Q1 in 2016, and frequently has missed Customer Voice score targets as well. So that will directly impact upon My Incentive payments.
    At the risk of diverting the thread, could you briefly explain what is a Customer Voice Score Target? And My Incentive payments?

This gets more complex by the day!
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Lite
    the cost of living downroute becoming significantly more expensive needs to be factored into the overall package.
    I accept that the majority (probably all) of MF crew didn't join BA to become currency speculators, but I wonder what the reaction would have been if we rejected Brexit and the £ went up in value by 20%.

I suspect that if BA had suggested reducing the hourly rate by a corresponding 20% UNITE would have been calling for a strike ballot.

By the way, does anyone know who Callum is?
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    I accept that the majority (probably all) of MF crew didn't join BA to become currency speculators, but I wonder what the reaction would have been if we rejected Brexit and the £ went up in value by 20%.

I suspect that if BA had suggested reducing the hourly rate by a corresponding 20% UNITE would have been calling for a strike ballot.

By the way, does anyone know who Callum is?
    If there is an hourly rate for flying, it is salary, it is taxable and can be quoted as such. If there are expenses to compensate for being off base then that should be paid as such, does not count towards salary, is a business expense for BA and reimbursed to the employee tax free. The amount would indeed vary up as well as down according to overseas prices and exchange rates. BA has transfered this risk to low paid employees as part of their complex salary construction.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by Ber2dca

Now just to add an element of reality here, neither bonus payments for profitability nor a minimum of 21k annual pay are the *rule* in the service sector.
    I don't think we are talking about payoffs here but parts of the complex salary construction devised by BA for this group of employees. If the payment is either contractually defined or habitually paid, then I believe that witholding those amounts because a worker with legitimate grievance excercises his or her rights in law would be unjustified.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Agent69

?
    I think if the value of the pound went up in value, then there would maybe be a bit less pressure on the cabin crew to try and bargain for a pay rise. It's academic though. It has gone down in value, there has been no increase in the EHR in three, nearly four, years now and the cost of living at home and abroad continues to increase.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by T8191
    At the risk of diverting the thread, could you briefly explain what is a Customer Voice Score Target? And My Incentive payments?

This gets more complex by the day!
    These were explained in my post up thread.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    BA has transfered this risk to low paid employees as part of their complex salary construction.
    BA retains the lions share of the currency risk by virtue of the hotel cost. While the overall package for MF may be complex, the downstream allowance is quite simple to understand (£3/hr paid in sterling).

If you don't like the exchange rate in Brazil then don't ask to be rostered onto the GIG route.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by TWEED1A
    I would consider the 'customer voice score' targets could represent a significant risk. Much has been said of how crew will now get additional commission from BoB sales, but to be honest, if we consider, for the sake of argument, that BoB might negatively impact customer satisfaction (it certainly does mine), I do wonder if crew might stand to lose almost as much from the impact on the Incentive payment as they might gain from the shared commission.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:52 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by orbitmic;27763520[b
    ]I would consider the 'customer voice score' targets could represent a significant risk[/b]. Much has been said of how crew will now get additional commission from BoB sales, but to be honest, if we consider, for the sake of argument, that BoB might negatively impact customer satisfaction (it certainly does mine), I do wonder if crew might stand to lose almost as much from the impact on the Incentive payment as they might gain from the shared commission.
    And me too. The responses to the last few surveys I have completed have been damning - not just BoB but the general penny pinching and downgrading of the product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.