Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Lite
    Trust me, as I've been "caught" with the strike dates both last week and now later this week, nobody would like this to be settled more than the crew caught in the middle. I think as Cabin Crew, we genuinely enjoy looking after people and we do a great job of working as a team, so it seems very uneasy and alien to us to be so divided and also to be inconveniencing and upsetting passengers. Sadly, BA seems more keen to undermine the union than to actually negotiate. They haven't approached the union to negotiate with them sadly. They've also now upped pulling people's staff travel from six months to nine months and said if people strike they'll take away last year's bonus and next year's. Why not try and get this sorted?
    What are BA offering (their last offer) and what are the union asking for? I suspect it's not as simple as just a gap in pay offer - are the union asking for any non-monetary concessions too?
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by jonas123
    What are BA offering (their last offer) and what are the union asking for? I suspect it's not as simple as just a gap in pay offer - are the union asking for any non-monetary concessions too?
    The union and BA themselves in both of their comms have said this is only about pay. There is no change to contract nor to any terms and conditions. It is purely about pay, both on the basic pay grades for Cabin Crew and the elapsed hourly rate for Cabin Crew and CSM's. At the moment despite BA's assurances internally and externally that they're "open to talks" they are saying that they are not moving on the pay deal offered before ACAS. The ACAS deal has obviously gone. So they're still trying to ply a pay deal that 93% of us rejected last May, which is considerably worse than the ACAS deal which still 70% of us rejected.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:00 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Trust me, as I've been "caught" with the strike dates both last week and now later this week, nobody would like this to be settled more than the crew caught in the middle. I think as Cabin Crew, we genuinely enjoy looking after people and we do a great job of working as a team, so it seems very uneasy and alien to us to be so divided and also to be inconveniencing and upsetting passengers. Sadly, BA seems more keen to undermine the union than to actually negotiate. They haven't approached the union to negotiate with them sadly. They've also now upped pulling people's staff travel from six months to nine months and said if people strike they'll take away last year's bonus and next year's. Why not try and get this sorted?
    That is tantamount to bullying in my book. Sadly, today that is not a surprising modus operandi in the modern BA. It is a damaged brand and those in charge appear not to care.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:25 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    This gets worse by the day. Lite and others, I'm aimply shocked.

I'm a Right Wing Tory, and I never sympathised witn Industrial Action ... until now. Good luck with the struggle!
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
    Lite totally support all MF ... will do my best to help .
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
    Originally Posted by T8191
    I'm a Right Wing Tory, and I never sympathised with Industrial Action ... until now.
    Me too and me too.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
    Me too and me too.
    +2

Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:43 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing like a Mike Ashley or a Willie Walsh to remind you why it is important in a market economy to have healthy and well-functioning trade unions and a balanced system of industrial relations.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:51 pm

T8191, psollitt, JAXBA, dodgeflyer and NickB, many thanks for all of your support. They have been great to show my family who obviously are very worried about the loss of my bonus, possibly for 2 years now, and of course rebate travel now for 9 months. Seeing these messages has been a great sippprt to know that this was really the right decision. Sadly, I have spent a lot of time downroute this past week applying for other jobs, as I will continue to strike each time the union announces more dates, but am unsure how sustainably I can wait for BA and the union to reach a decision on giving us a fair pay deal.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:00 pm

Why the hell don't the other fleets come out in sympathy? Striking would be illegal, but working to rule or calling in sick...........they are having enough hassle with the BOB at the moment! Could make an impression.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
    Originally Posted by Mightymouse
    Why the hell don't the other fleets come out in sympathy? Striking would be illegal, but working to rule or calling in sick...........they are having enough hassle with the BOB at the moment! Could make an impression.
    Agreed. And if there is a picket line, they DO NOT have to cross it! Nobody does...
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by hungry
    Agreed. And if there is a picket line, they DO NOT have to cross it! Nobody does...
    Sadly, it would be classed as secondary action. We have had a lot of support from
    BASSA though and their members have provided lots of support.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:10 pm

What can we, as passengers/customers, do to help in a meaningful/tangible way?
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by shadowline
    What can we, as passengers/customers, do to help in a meaningful way?
    As with any picket lines or protest lines, it would just be great if you gave us a beep of your horn and wave if you're at the airport those days. That show of support is great when you're freezing cold. I know people have been taking to social media with the hashtag #balowpaynoway. I do know it's very grass roots and I don't even know if BA really take stock of social media, but we've had some lovely support on there already from our frequent fliers.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Sadly, it would be classed as secondary action. We have had a lot of support from
    BASSA though and their members have provided lots of support.
    Well, I heard that other crews still have to vote on their pay offers. Perhaps those disputes can be escalated and action taken parallel to MF. That's not secondary action but parallel grievances by multiple groups. I'm not sure that MF alone have enough mass to force BA to change its position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.