Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:17 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Lite
    Its not that the £21k wouldn't be achievable but it's down to many variables and includes cost of living expenses in already expensive destinations after no pay increases for a few years and a significantly weaker pound.
    ​​​​​​​
    I don't think anyone would suggest it is unachievable, but BA's explicit claim is that this is the absolute minimum anyone gets, and from what you say that simply isn't true, plus BA counts as income things which clearly shouldn't be, which is there to cover expenses whilst away from base.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by orbitmic
    I don't think anyone would suggest it is unachievable, but BA's explicit claim is that this is the absolute minimum anyone gets, and from what you say that simply isn't true
    If you read the first paragraph of what was said you will see that it was a rough insight, not a forensic analysis (also think it's a bit unfair to blame BA for the fall in the value of the £).

The cost of living while away from home is clearly a significant factor in the overall assessment, and there is one thing that I don't understand. BA must spend a fortune on hotels, which would give them massive purchasing power when booking rooms. Why can't they negotiate breakfast as part of the deal? I can't believe that somebody would turn down the chance to fill 10 rooms all day every day for the cost of some scrambled eggs on toast.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:13 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    If you read the first paragraph of what was said you will see that it was a rough insight, not a forensic analysis (also think it's a bit unfair to blame BA for the fall in the value of the £).

The cost of living while away from home is clearly a significant factor in the overall assessment, and there is one thing that I don't understand. BA must spend a fortune on hotels, which would give them massive purchasing power when booking rooms. Why can't they negotiate breakfast as part of the deal? I can't believe that somebody would turn down the chance to fill 10 rooms all day every day for the cost of some scrambled eggs on toast.
    I did not take the decline in value of the pound into account either as I agree with you that it is an entirely separate issue.

However, paradoxically, whilst Lite presumably mentions that part of the £3/hr payment is subject to taxes to mention that they do not keep all of it, to me, it is the contrary argument which matters: since HMRC does not tax all of it, then it is acknowledged that whatever part of that is not taxed is effectively not income (but expenses of sorts). It would therefore be unfair for BA to count that non-taxable part as if it were part of the crew income. Again, the parallel with regular jobs is obvious, if you earn £100,000 but also incur £20,000 of expenses on pure work travel, your income does not magically become £120,000, it is still £100,000.

And yes, rough estimates, nobody suggested that Lite was trying to present a detailed income amount, but she just mentioned what is included in BA's calculations, and also quite clearly that the £21k seemingly cannot be a minimum in current circumstances.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:16 am

Thank you Lite for this information.

In addition to the £150 a month incentive scheme, is there any profit share element to MF pay? I am trying to reconcile BA's average full time pay of £24k vs your experience of £21k maximum vs Unite's position of £16k. All very confusing! Thanks
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:23 am

BA must spend a fortune on hotels, which would give them massive purchasing power when booking rooms. Why can't they negotiate breakfast as part of the deal? I can't believe that somebody would turn down the chance to fill 10 rooms all day every day for the cost of some scrambled eggs on toast.
    BA do have purchasing power on room rates and the hotels do often offer crews good discounts on purchase of food and beverages with production of their ID. Can still be expensive considering the exorbitant prices that the major hotel chains get away with charging for a breakfast.
    A side issue but don't forget that BA aren't the only airline booking rooms for their crews and those other airlines are also using their purchasing power to get lower room rates. The hotels are glad to have them when things are quiet but could sell those rooms many times over in their peak times. The logistics of dealing with airline crews can be quite challenging for the hotels as well !
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
    Thank you Lite for this information.

In addition to the £150 a month incentive scheme, is there any profit share element to MF pay? I am trying to reconcile BA's average full time pay of £24k vs your experience of £21k maximum vs Unite's position of £16k. All very confusing! Thanks
    The £150 a month MyIncentive payment is an absolute maximum based on your own performance as well as company performance targets. Usually it's nearer the £100 mark, even for somebody with no absence or lateness.

When the airline makes a profit, all colleagues receive an all colleague bonus. This is usually in the £400-£650 mark over the last few years for Cabin crew and is of course taxable and discretionary.

Both the all company bonus and MyIncentive bonus, as well as staff travel, has been removed for people who have taken part in the industrial action.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Both the all company bonus and MyIncentive bonus, as well as staff travel, has been removed for people who have taken part in the industrial action.
    Is this allowed in the UK? It certainly wouldn't be in the part of the EU I am based (Germany).
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:52 am

The £150 a month MyIncentive payment is an absolute maximum based on your own performance as well as company performance targets. Usually it's nearer the £100 mark, even for somebody with no absence or lateness.

When the airline makes a profit, all colleagues receive an all colleague bonus. This is usually in the £400-£650 mark over the last few years for Cabin crew and is of course taxable and discretionary.

Thanks Lite. So my understanding is that MF earnings are made up of Basic+Flying Pay+Incentive Scheme+Profit Share+Commission on duty free and now BoB. Very complex pay structure.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:59 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    How far in advance will BA cancel flights if they do so?

I'm on BA753 and BA756 on 21st.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    Is this allowed in the UK? It certainly wouldn't be in the part of the EU I am based (Germany).
    I'm not sure about the All company or MyIncentive bonus but Staff Travel is non contractural and BA can withdraw that at any time and as they so wish. They used to make that clear when logging on to the Staff Travel web site.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by Snafu_again
    I'm not sure about the All company or MyIncentive bonus but Staff Travel is non contractural and BA can withdraw that at any time and as they so wish. They used to make that clear when logging on to the Staff Travel web site.
    Accept the point on staff travel. If BA are including all these bonusses in their calculation of MF minimum salary, then they cannot be discretionary. It would therefore IMHO be unfair (illegal?) to remove them ad-hoc and only for striking staff. Apart from that, it's downright provocative.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
    Originally Posted by florens
    How far in advance will BA cancel flights if they do so?

I'm on BA753 and BA756 on 21st.
    Hopefully we'll know a bit more on Monday. I've got a potential cancellation too
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:33 am

My flight is pretty full on Thursday so I'm praying they don't cancel it.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club

The cost of living while away from home is clearly a significant factor in the overall assessment ...
    Exactly. I wasn't saying that BA themselves are responsible for the plummeting exchange rates. What they are responsible for is realising that the cost of living downroute becoming significantly more expensive needs to be factored into the overall package. So whilst a 2% pay increase may sound similar to other workplaces, that is in reality the increase from £3 to £3.06 an hour on the EHR. Significantly less than the comparable EHR of the Flight Crew as well as Cabin Crew at other airlines (not all comparable as some have sector pay and destination specific allowances like Virgin.) As the cost of living has gone up dramatically in the last of 3 years, particularly in some destinations, the lack of a pay rise for those 3 years and now a 6p pay increase isn't tolerable according to the Cabin Crew.

The fact that a lot of this could be solved around x pence an hour and that the airline wants to fight this all the way as per the communications from Alex Cruz internally, I think explains the leadership and direction of the airline.
    Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
    I read a post that said ba had "enhanced" some aspects of F service during the last strike, was that only on MF routes or all flights?

Flying F on the 19th so just wondering...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.