Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    At a time when they are apparently trying to improve the CW service levels to win business, I imagine BA will actually be very concerned if there is a perception of poor service compared to other carriers. Most people, because of the relative lack of publicity and paucity of cancellations, will not even realise there's a strike on - and they'll just think the reduced service level is the norm for BA and not bother to travel with them again.

It might well be that if customer satisfaction scores dip even further, and complaints rise, that will be seen as a plausible reason to change tack and settle the dispute. If BA undertook a Net Promoter Score exercise on a LH Mixed Fleet route right now, I bet the results wouldn't look stellar, and the longer Mixed Fleet are out the harder it will be for BA to maintain service levels.
    Possibly, I suspect you have a better overall understanding than myself. But the CW improvement seems to be lots of talk and not so much real action. The lead time of the bedding changes and cabin refits of the older planes seems to be how slow can we do it, rather than let's get it done. Against that I'm far from convinced that BA doesn't see this as another cost saving.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:10 am
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by Too much travel
    From a neutral observer point of view (well, okay, not neutral: I'm a passenger so obviously have pro-BA, anti-strike sentiments) it's clear that the strike is getting nowhere in terms of impact.

Logically the union should cut their losses now when it's just the matter of a lost battle. Instead they are depleting the union's financial resources and PR goodwill, which increases the likelihood of not just a lost battle but a lost war.
    I would put forward an alternative perspective here. A few months ago, yes this was true. But with the longer strikes in the last few weeks the disruption has been considerably increased. Almost all MF flights are going crew down, people are starting to notice reduced service more (including on FT), and flights are being cancelled, even non-MF routes (e.g. BAH and Saudi Arabia), to free up WW crew to operate MF flights. As mentioned this will be having a big effect on NPS. And then you've got the increasing costs with non-striking crew's expenses, time on operational duties for normally office-based managers, more hotels than normal for disrupted pax, and the QR wet leases. I doubt BA will let this on, but the costs will be starting to mount, and goodwill from elsewhere inside the company falling.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
    I would put forward an alternative perspective here. A few months ago, yes this was true. But with the longer strikes in the last few weeks the disruption has been considerably increased. Almost all MF flights are going crew down, people are starting to notice reduced service more (including on FT), and flights are being cancelled, even non-MF routes (e.g. BAH and Saudi Arabia), to free up WW crew to operate MF flights. As mentioned this will be having a big effect on NPS. And then you've got the increasing costs with non-striking crew's expenses, time on operational duties for normally office-based managers, more hotels than normal for disrupted pax, and the QR wet leases. I doubt BA will let this on, but the costs will be starting to mount, and goodwill from elsewhere inside the company falling.
    So I'd counter again with:
    • Cancellations haven't gone above 10 flights in a day - that's less than 2% of the schedule at LHR - and were less at the end of the last strike period than earlier in it.
    • Yes - flights have been going out crew down - but the service has only been slower, not substantially degraded. Customers will be happy to fly if they are told there's a strike and the reason they get dessert on the tray is because of that. Faced with 'be cancelled' or 'slower service' - consumers will pick 'slower service' when it comes to their summer holidays. There's also a massive difference between 'slow', 'degraded' and 'none'. If flights were going out with no food ... or no drinks ... or first class being closed ... or other such major impact - it'd be different.
    • We've no idea what's happening on NPS yet - and that'll be BA internal. Deciphering an NPS drop from the strike against the, almost certainly, much larger impact of the IT issues would be very hard. I'd bet money on BA's mgmt team using the IT issues as the excuse for any NPS drop for the next month or two.
    • If BA were going to give in on costs - they would have already when they looked at that QR bill and the associated problems with getting it approved. This isn't about cost for them.

If MF wanted to impact BA (given BA aren't concerned about costs) - they need photos of crying families appearing in the newspapers. Look at the piece that appeared in the Guardian (or was it the Independent) a few weeks back where they had to pepper the story with photos of the impact from the IT debacle because the photos of impact from the strike simply don't exist. The fact those photos don't exist means the editors of the DM (which, like it or not, is the most read daily in the UK) will be saying "not interested!"

You can argue all you like about internal impact to BA - but if BA mgmt are happy to absorb the costs - then it doesn't matter how furiously they are paddling below the water, as long as the swan seems to glide on the turbulent lake and they can be arguing to the outside world that the strike isn't hurting.

Last edited by MPH1980; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:45 am
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:33 am

Is the best number to call if your flight gets cancelled and you don't like the reroute 1-800-airways ? Is there a better number?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by wesport
    Is the best number to call if your flight gets cancelled and you don't like the reroute 1-800-airways ? Is there a better number?
    Yes - just call your local office (in the unlikely circumstance you get cancelled)
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:42 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by wesport
    If you are an executive club member call your usual number, or if not have a look under "contact information" at the bottom of this page https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...=BOT_contactus
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
    Originally Posted by MPH1980
    So I'd counter again with:
    • Cancellations haven't gone above 10 flights in a day - that's less than 2% of the schedule at LHR - and were less at the end of the last strike period than earlier in it.
    • Yes - flights have been going out crew down - but the service has only been slower, not substantially degraded. Customers will be happy to fly if they are told there's a strike and the reason they get dessert on the tray is because of that. Faced with 'be cancelled' or 'slower service' - consumers will pick 'slower service' when it comes to their summer holidays. There's also a massive difference between 'slow', 'degraded' and 'none'. If flights were going out with no food ... or no drinks ... or first class being closed ... or other such major impact - it'd be different.
    • We've no idea what's happening on NPS yet - and that'll be BA internal. Deciphering an NPS drop from the strike against the, almost certainly, much larger impact of the IT issues would be very hard. I'd bet money on BA's mgmt team using the IT issues as the excuse for any NPS drop for the next month or two.
    • If BA were going to give in on costs - they would have already when they looked at that QR bill and the associated problems with getting it approved. This isn't about cost for them.

If MF wanted to impact BA (given BA aren't concerned about costs) - they need photos of crying families appearing in the newspapers. Look at the piece that appeared in the Guardian (or was it the Independent) a few weeks back where they had to pepper the story with photos of the impact from the IT debacle because the photos of impact from the strike simply don't exist. The fact those photos don't exist means the editors of the DM (which, like it or not, is the most read daily in the UK) will be saying "not interested!"

You can argue all you like about internal impact to BA - but if BA mgmt are happy to absorb the costs - then it doesn't matter how furiously they are paddling below the water, as long as the swan seems to glide on the turbulent lake and they can be arguing to the outside world that the strike isn't hurting.
    In the short-term that is all correct - but as I am planning my trips for the fall, why would I book on BA, with the uncertainty that they might cancel my flight one or two days before departure and even if I fly there is a risk of sub-standard service (not that the BA is up to standard even in normal times nowadays). And even if only 2 or 5%, why would I take this risk, if there are other options?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
    In the short-term that is all correct - but as I am planning my trips for the fall, why would I book on BA, with the uncertainty that they might cancel my flight one or two days before departure and even if I fly there is a risk of sub-standard service (not that the BA is up to standard even in normal times nowadays). And even if only 2 or 5%, why would I take this risk, if there are other options?
    But none of this is short term. This action has been going on since December! If it was affecting forward bookings - it would be dealt with by now.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:23 am

But none of this is short term. This action has been going on since December! If it was affecting forward bookings - it would be dealt with by now.
    Yes, but before it was two days here, three days there (a month or two later). Now, it is a permanent strike, with one or two off-days in between.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
    Yes, but before it was two days here, three days there (a month or two later). Now, it is a permanent strike, with one or two off-days in between.
    And I'd say this - if you're planning for the autumn - I'd be expecting it to be over one way or the other by then.

Either the strike fund will run out of money and MF will give up or the costs that BA are incurring will get too much and they'll back down.

Simple maths tells us the strike fund won't be able to last that long without public support (and they haven't caused enough of a ruckus to get it!). E.g. let's assume the average MF crew is getting 16k a year (BA claim full time is 21k) - that's 1.3k per month pre-tax, 1080 post tax. According to earlier posts there are 2.7k members of unite in MF. So trying to pay all 2.7k members their post tax wage would cost the fund £3M for a month.

Even if it's only a 50% turn out for the strike - it's £1.5M. So the payouts will be a lot lower than full wage which means the strikers are going to be hurting given the wages are 'poverty pay'.

Others have done good estimates of the costs BA are incurring with the QR wet leases and such. At this point - it's really about who's pockets are deeper.

Last edited by MPH1980; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:48 am
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:39 am

And I'd say this - if you're planning for the autumn - I'd be expecting it to be over one way or the other by then.

Either the strike fund will run out of money and MF will give up or the costs that BA are incurring will get too much and they'll back down.
    Probably right, but following the end of the strike there might be an announcement: passengers have told us that they like the lower crewing levels we have introduced, especially in premium cabins, as this provides them with more privacy (as in: being ignored).....

Agree, it'll be over eventually, but my fall (in professional terms) starts on 19 August with a long-haul flight, and I am sure not booking BA for that one.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:32 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
    So if the blockade finishes will they still have 9 aircraft and enough spare cabin and flight crew to keep leasing them to BA?
    QR did attempt to set up a second airline called Al Maha, and bought four A320s for it. That may leave them with an oversupply.

Also even if diplomatic relations are restored, it could take a few weeks before it is worth running a full schedule again.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    So trying to pay all 2.7k members their post tax wage would cost the fund £3M for a month.
    I thought strike pay was <£100 a week?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    Also even if diplomatic relations are restored, it could take a few weeks before it is worth running a full schedule again.
    There are suggestions from USA that the dispute blew up as a result of a UAE hacker posting on social media in the name of the boss of Qatar. While this may be a route to diffuse the dispute it is unlikely normal service will be resumed any time soon. Time is against MF as in a couple of months time the LCC wil be reverting to winter schedules and may have resources spare (same as at the beginning of the year).
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
    I thought strike pay was <£100 a week?
    Considerably more than that....

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.