Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    BA will never get back what they have lost.
    That sort of suggests that management may as well continue to play hard ball as it's not a recoverable situation with existing staff?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:18 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    So how do you run an airline without staff, you cannot change them overnight and any new employees soon become despondent?
    The only way that BA can regain the trust of its customers and staff is to listen to what they say and stop putting profit above customer satisfaction.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
    So how do you run an airline without staff, you cannot change them overnight and any new employees soon become despondent?
    The only way that BA can regain the trust of its customers and staff is to listen to what they say and stop putting profit above customer satisfaction.

I tend to agree. This strike, merit aside is doing serious damage not only to morale but also productivity.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Ba may argue they have both profit and customer satisfaction atm. Until customer numbers and profit fall why do you suppose the management would change tack?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:25 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Ba may argue they have both profit and customer satisfaction atm. Until customer numbers and profit fall why do you suppose the management would change tack?
    Because they are decent human beings and not sociopaths? Profit is no excuse for treating your staff in this way and it's very sad anyone would think so. How much does the CEO earn?

They already changed tack while earning huge profits because they say the threats they face are so huge. If those threats are so huge and being competitive so critical, I'd suggest antagonising your entire workforce to the cost of productivity, in a customer service industry, isn't actually that smart.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by nallison
    Because they are decent human beings and not sociopaths? Profit is no excuse for treating your staff in this way and it's very sad anyone would think so. How much does the CEO earn?

They already changed tack while earning huge profits because they say the threats they face are so huge. If those threats are so huge and being competitive so critical, I'd suggest antagonising your entire workforce isn't actually that smart.
    I have no idead what the BA CEO earns and I would imagine neither do most of the passengers.

How is what BA doing not working for them atm? CIHY's point was that BA must stop putting profit over customer satisfaction. If customer satisfaction is indeed suffering where is the evidence to be seen in terms of drops in numbers or yields?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    So how do you run an airline without staff,
    Given that 17,000 people have applied to join BA this year, that problem probably isn't going to arise.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:33 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Really!
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    How is what BA doing not working for them atm? CIHY's point was that BA must stop putting profit over customer satisfaction. If customer satisfaction is indeed suffering where is the evidence to be seen in terms of drops in numbers or yields?
    You probably could change BA for Ryanair, but they've had a change of heart for their hardline customer service, and tried to become "nice".

Why did they change, despite year on year growth?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    You probably could change BA for Ryanair, but they've had a change of heart for their hardline customer service, and tried to become "nice".

Why did they change, despite year on year growth?
    I don't recognise a suggestion that BA was comparable to FR, and what change of heart is this you mention has now happened?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    I have no idead what the BA CEO earns and I would imagine neither do most of the passengers.

Well, Willie Walsh made about 2,000,000 GBP in 2016, so I am assuming Alex Cruz made somewhere between 1-2 million. Since BA is part of IAG, it's not easy to get salary details! Willie Walsh salary is public record as he is the head of IAG.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    I don't recognise a suggestion that BA was comparable to FR,
    There wasn't a direct comparison.
    The removal of the so called complementary catering is a FR type action though.

and what change of heart is this you mention has now happened?
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...r-profits-rise
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
    Given that 17,000 people have applied to join BA this year, that problem probably isn't going to arise.
    How would you train 17000 in a few weeks?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:59 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by nallison
    I'd suggest antagonising your entire workforce to the cost of productivity, in a customer service industry, isn't actually that smart.
    The entire problem stems from the fact that senior management thinks it's very smart. The more people they can convince to leave, the cheaper they can hire replacements. Hire, train, work them to the ground, they move on, start cycle again.

It's horrible and I don't like it but it's by no means exclusive to BA.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    There wasn't a direct comparison.
    what's this then? "You probably could change BA for Ryanair"

what the relevance of a change strategy at FR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.