Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Ah so FR changed because they were losing business. Is that happing at BA? What do the results say? They usually have load factors in as well as just headline profit.
    Can you tell if it has yet? I'd imagine year on year would be a better comparison, and we've not had that cycle yet.
    And load factors? All well and good, but if the yield is down, then that's a different matter.
    Its far too early to tell what the direct cost of BoB is.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:06 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
    Ah so FR changed because they were losing business. Is that happing at BA? What do the results say? They usually have load factors in as well as just headline profit.
    I gave a very detailed answer above, perhaps you could comment on the actual points I made. It doesn't serve the forum to ask people to repeat themselves. Please bear in mind this isn't a court of law, I don't think anyone enjoyed that Ryanair exchange!

If you're genuinely unaware of the potential conflict between short and long-term profits in business, and that it takes several years for brand damage to manifest in results, I can only recommend going and doing some reading. That's a bit harsh a comment but I know you won't mind given some of your comments in threads related to the law

In any case the brand damage is already showing quite clearly in the public domain. Their next results will include the cost of the IT fiasco. So I believe profits are already lower than they would be with and alternative strategy. Nether of us can prove we're right though can we? But I personally wouldn't recommend BA stock right now as a long term investment.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:48 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    Can you tell if it has yet? I'd imagine year on year would be a better comparison, and we've not had that cycle yet.
    And load factors? All well and good, but if the yield is down, then that's a different matter.
    Exactly right, business 101 really!
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:39 pm

There seems to be more in the way of last minute cancellations this morning from LHR including 3 domestics, NCL, GLA and ABZ. Fewer cabin crew showing up than expected?

Expert flyer is also giving the codes for these cancellations as INDU. Cancellations that were announced a few days ago have cancelation code INDN.

Up to now it seems BA have been (on the whole) on top of cancellations usually giving plenty of notice. Exceptions have been a couple of Saturdays where some TATL cancelled at short notice. Are things beginning to bite?
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:51 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by nallison
    I gave a very detailed answer above, perhaps you could comment on the actual points I made. It doesn't serve the forum to ask people to repeat themselves. Please bear in mind this isn't a court of law, I don't think anyone enjoyed that Ryanair exchange!

If you're genuinely unaware of the potential conflict between short and long-term profits in business, and that it takes several years for brand damage to manifest in results, I can only recommend going and doing some reading. That's a bit harsh a comment but I know you won't mind given some of your comments in threads related to the law

In any case the brand damage is already showing quite clearly in the public domain. Their next results will include the cost of the IT fiasco. So I believe profits are already lower than they would be with and alternative strategy. Nether of us can prove we're right though can we? But I personally wouldn't recommend BA stock right now as a long term investment.
    But the evidence you pointed to is conjecture, I doubt BA would change strategy based on TripAdvisor reviews or skytrax. What do the actual numbers say?
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    So are you saying we don't have any evidence yet of drops in load factors or yields, or that it it is too early to see whether BoB has been detrimental to BA? If so it seems premature to suggest BA should change if you don't know whether the current strategy isn't working.

EDIT: just as a reminder, this point came out of a suggestion BA needed to stop choosing between profit and customer satisfaction and I suggested to BA it seems currently no such choice needs to be made as they are getting both. Until one of the two changes why would BA change?

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 24, 2017 at 1:10 am
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Why do you think FR changed their approach?
    I think it’s because after they were obviously Europe’s biggest airline, they had enough confidence and finances to make passengers happier and be more aggressive in increasing market share.

Ryanairs low cost model is now so well oiled they do not need to focus on cutting costs, more on making passengers happy. It’s a very important transition.

And everyone please stop talking about profits and passenger numbers , it would take at least a year since BA’s reduction of service to show on the books!
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    So are you saying we don't have any evidence yet of drops in load factors or yields, or that it it is too early to see whether BoB has been detrimental to BA? If so it seems premature to suggest BA should change if you don't know whether the current strategy isn't working.

EDIT: just as a reminder, this point came out of a suggestion BA needed to stop choosing between profit and customer satisfaction and I suggested to BA it seems currently no such choice needs to be made as they are getting both. Until one of the two changes why would BA change?
    At least you've adopted a better tone in this post.
    So we have a different opinion. I'll leave it at that.
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:47 am
    Suspended

But the evidence you pointed to is conjecture, I doubt BA would change strategy based on TripAdvisor reviews or skytrax. What do the actual numbers say?
    Your point is also conjecture, no? There is considerable, unanimous evidence showing a decline in customer satisfaction and none saying otherwise. Every single source I am aware of shows a decline. That's what the numbers say. People here have reported meeting BA bosses who said they were aware they've gone too far. I would suspect that conclusion was reached from looking at the numbers no?

And it has been explained several times now that it takes time for these kind of strategy changes to feed through it revenue results so please stop asking that question. This is a forum for discussion and debate, or conjecture perhaps. Some think that this straregy will cause those outcomes, but obviously will not do yet. If you have little knowledge of business maybe listen to those who have considerable experience in the area?
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:49 am

Your point is also conjecture, no? There is considerable, unanimous evidence showing a decline in customer satisfaction and none saying otherwise. Every single source I am aware of shows a decline. That's what the numbers say. People here have reported meeting BA bosses who said they were aware they've gone too far. I would suspect that conclusion was reached from looking at the numbers no?

And it has been explained several times now that it takes time for these kind of strategy changes to feed through it revenue results so please stop asking that question. This is a forum for discussion and debate, or conjecture perhaps. Some think that this straregy will cause those outcomes, but obviously will not do yet. If you have little knowledge of business maybe listen to those who have considerable experience in the area?
    I haven't actually advanced my own opinion on what BA should do so I am not sure what evidence it is, conjecture or otherwise, you think I have referred to in order to back up an opinion I haven't posted?
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:02 am
    Suspended

I haven't actually advanced my own opinion on what BA should do so I am not sure what evidence it is, conjecture or otherwise, you think I have referred to in order to back up an opinion I haven't posted?
    So you actually have no opinion, why do you care so much about mine? But actually you did post an opinion, I'm not sure why you do this:

"If so it seems premature to suggest BA should change if you don't know whether the current strategy isn't working. just as a reminder, this point came out of a suggestion BA needed to stop choosing between profit and customer satisfaction and I suggested to BA it seems currently no such choice needs to be made as they are getting both. Until one of the two changes why would BA change?[/B][/I]

You're doing your courtroom thing again. Are you aware it really doesn't add to threads, it's incredibly tedious when discussions are dragged round in circles so you can try and score points rather than engage in a discussion?

I've made my points. You asked what the numbers say, I've explined all the nunbers we have available show a decline in customer satisfaction. Your conjecture that there are no numbers to support a decline in customer satisfaction is wrong. If you don't want to accept that and actually discuss the issue, and are more interested in playing games, I'm not going to engage anymore either. Everyone else can read the responses and make their conclusions about who backed up their points.

I have a good detailed reply from my perspective as an economist to try and provide a bit of information for you, it's rather rude that you ignored it and continue with this kind of childish game.
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:10 am

So you actually have no opinion, why do you care so much about mine? But actually you did post an opinion, I'm not sure why you do this:

"If so it seems premature to suggest BA should change if you don't know whether the current strategy isn't working. just as a reminder, this point came out of a suggestion BA needed to stop choosing between profit and customer satisfaction and I suggested to BA it seems currently no such choice needs to be made as they are getting both. Until one of the two changes why would BA change?[/B][/I]

You're doing your courtroom thing again. Are you aware it really doesn't add to threads, it's incredibly tedious when discussions are dragged round in circles so you can try and score points rather than engage in a discussion?

I've made my points. You asked what the numbers say, I've explined all the nunbers we have available show a decline in customer satisfaction. Your conjecture that there are no numbers to support a decline in customer satisfaction is wrong. If you don't want to accept that and actually discuss the issue, and are more interested in playing games, I'm not going to engage anymore either. Everyone else can read the responses and make their conclusions about who backed up their points.

I have a good detailed reply from my perspective as an economist to try and provide a bit of information for you, it's rather rude that you ignored it and continue with this kind of childish game.
    I was suggesting how BA may see things, and testing the arguments of those who propose BA change, I am totally lost as to where you see me expressing my own opinion on whether the current BA strategy is right or wrong, and what BA should do going forward. There is a considerable amount of obvious word twisting in your post which is rather unfortunate, for example I never said there are no numbers to show a decline in customer satisfaction, just that what you referred to in terms of evidence of such a decline was conjecture.

In any case I think it is a good idea to end this one when you seem to be adding more and more personal comments to your posts.
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:05 am
    Suspended

I was suggesting how BA may see things, and testing the arguments of those who propose BA change, I am totally lost as to where you see me expressing my own opinion on whether the current BA strategy is right or wrong, and what BA should do going forward. There is a considerable amount of obvious word twisting in your post which is rather unfortunate, for example I never said there are no numbers to show a decline in customer satisfaction, just that what you referred to in terms of evidence of such a decline was conjecture.

In any case I think it is a good idea to end this one when you seem to be adding more and more personal comments to your posts.
    Well hopefully you've had your queries answered by several people who've been kind enough to explain something about business cycles and when we can expect to begin to get an idea of whether the strategy is a success or not. Hopefully you can acknowledge at some point, that people took time out of their day to asnwer questions you raised.

There was no word twisting, I don't really understand the point of posting an opinion on a discussion forum, and then rather than backing it up or engaging with new information provided by others (that you had asked for), instead denying ever having posted an opinion and repeatedly asking the same thing that has already been answered. This isn't a court and it doesn't serve the forum.

And yes, I posted actual evidence, not conjecture. I stated my opinion, and have various sources to back it up. If you have others that contradict it, be my guest.

Just to recap for anyone who hasn't long gone by now, this discussion does have some relvance to the cabin crew dispute, as it came out of an opinion expressed to a cabin crew member that as long as BA are making profit why they should change tack? Which I personally find quite distasteful, the idea that as long as you're making profit shafting your staff is completely justified.

Last edited by nallison; Jul 24, 2017 at 8:17 am
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:07 am

Can we put the brakes on BAFT's High Court proceedings please?
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:09 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Folks, personal spats are unedifying and unwelcome in this forum, and we respect each other's opinions. We also make our point and then move on to allow others to contribute to the debate rather than attempt to dominate it ourselves. I am disappointed that I need to do so, but this is a reminder of perhaps the most relevant section of rule 12:

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
    Time to step away from the keyboard on this one, perhaps?

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.