Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Good luck MF crew, BA's spin will be working overdrive, ignore and stay focused on your goal.
    Thank you, dear. I've managed to be caught for both days but am very fortunate to have been able to speak with him indoors and the rest of my family who are very supportive. A hardship fund has generously been set up too for people to apply to who may really financially be impacted by taking strike action and has received very generous donations. Sadly it seems BA did not want to talk to the reps today. They adjourned a meeting as it didn't seem any progress was being made and then an email came to us from the management saying that the talks have finished as they weren't making progress. The union emailed use about a quarter of an hour later saying that as far as they were concerned the talks were just adjourned. As I read it, and by no means am I an oracle on industrial relations, but the company aren't serious about talking at all but have to be seen to for the benefit of the media.
    Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
    Exactly.

1. Union is required to take industrial action within 28 days of voting for it unless BA agrees to an extension
    2. BA refuses an extension but also refuses to hold talks unless the strike is called off
    3. Union cannot suspend strikes again as they will then need a new ballot of members what ever happens
    4. BA can then decide to put nothing new on the table safe in the knowledge that the Union will need time to get a fresh mandate for action

Great spin from BA, and the inevitable response from Unite. Of course there is no reason why both parties could not have been sat at ACAS from the 3rd Jan in the knowledge that would give a week's leeway before the strike and time to call it off it progress were made.

Fortunately we are not all gullible and naive and most of us can see through it.
    Thank you for providing a 101 guide to BA tactics which as you say would only fool the guillible and naive, some of our other "BA can do no wrong posters" need to read it.
    Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:31 pm

i do wish ba would offer its staff something decent. i find it disappointing to keep hearing about these derisory offers.
    Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:34 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by simons1
    Exactly.

1. Union is required to take industrial action within 28 days of voting for it unless BA agrees to an extension
    2. BA refuses an extension but also refuses to hold talks unless the strike is called off
    3. Union cannot suspend strikes again as they will then need a new ballot of members what ever happens
    4. BA can then decide to put nothing new on the table safe in the knowledge that the Union will need time to get a fresh mandate for action

Great spin from BA, and the inevitable response from Unite. Of course there is no reason why both parties could not have been sat at ACAS from the 3rd Jan in the knowledge that would give a week's leeway before the strike and time to call it off it progress were made.

Fortunately we are not all gullible and naive and most of us can see through it.
    Good summary.
    Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
    That explains why my LHR-SFO flight on Wed 11th has suddenly filled up and they are offering much cheaper upgrades ($485pp for WTP to CW, down from $765). But given there's five of us I'll hold off and wait to see if a free upgrade is forthcoming (and hope my Gold status helps).
    Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:45 pm
    Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
    All supports to MF and hope WW and EF Play along too. Even tho my friends are flying on 11 tyo-lhr and dont think they will be impacted.
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by kaka
    All supports to MF and hope WW and EF Play along too.
    You mean sympathy strikes? Well that would certainly put a spanner in the works, but would probably be most unwise.
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
    You mean sympathy strikes? Well that would certainly put a spanner in the works, but would probably be most unwise.
    They would support the strike by not volunteering for overtime, and can't get in trouble for this.
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by headingwest
    I gather other fleets are currently voting on their own pay deals though.
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:24 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    We are in no mood to help BA out we have our own vote coming up!
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    We are in no mood to help BA out we have our own vote coming up!
    Brilliant. So in that case I agree with kaka!
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:54 am
    IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
    All the best to the MF crew who are taking part in the strike. It's never an action taken lightly and I think you've been left with no option by BA.
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by rhivolution
    I think you've been left with no option by BA.
    How about they carry on working as normal. That would be another option wouldn't it?

As a matter of interest, how do the finances work for the strikers? 1200 voted to strike and say 50% of those will be due to log on at base during the dispute. Would these 600 take a pay hit, while the other 3400 MF crew get normal pay. Sounds a bit unfair if that was the case.
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:06 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Those taking strike will be eligible for £60 per day strike pay from their union, it might not seem fair that some take a hit while others don't but there will be more strikes in the future planned.
    Being in a union means uniting in a common goal and sticking together for the benit of all, of course like in the last strike the selfish ones will do what they want anyway!
    Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:14 am

the selfish ones will do what they want anyway!
    They're usually the first ones who are crying out for the benefits of the deal too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.