Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by london1
    Most private companies treat bonuses as discretionary so not surprised that they would use this as a bargaining tool.
    The issue isn't really that bonuses are discretionary as such london1, instead the issue is that the claims that BA have made about how much Mixed Fleet earn won't be possible for at least two years. If BA is so sure that we are all earning at least £21k, I wonder why they don't offer to give us that as a salary, and it surely wouldn't cost them a penny if we're all earning that already.
    Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Geordie Girl
    So let me get this right. BA are adamant that MF crew earn £21k minimum, made up of base salary, flight pay and BONUS. However, in their wisdom BA Mgt have decided that they will not pay anyone involved in 2017 industrial action their bonus earned for 2016 or any bonus for 2017. I get the 2017 element, but not paying bonus earned by staff during the year prior to industrial action is despicable. It also means that staff will not earn the £21k BA themselves proclaim. MF have my deepest sympathy and support
    Unfortunately, you haven't got it right (albeit unlikely that the devoted fans of this thread are going to point this out).

The £21k minimum quoted by BA are for CC that have worked full time. If you go on strike then you haven't worked full time, so the £21k doesn't apply

The first set of strike dates was in 2016, so perhaps the moral of the story for Unite is don't call a strike at the end of 2016 if your members haven't had their bonus yet.
    Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lite
    The issue isn't really that bonuses are discretionary as such london1, instead the issue is that the claims that BA have made about how much Mixed Fleet earn won't be possible for at least two years. If BA is so sure that we are all earning at least £21k, I wonder why they don't offer to give us that as a salary, and it surely wouldn't cost them a penny if we're all earning that already.
    You may not be surprised to learn that I disagree. Discretionary payments do exactly what it says on the tin. They are discretionary.

Why would BA want to change a discretionary attendance / performance bonus into a mandatory addition to salary. No logic in that at all.

From my perspective, one of the biggest mistakes by BA in the 2009 / 10/ 11 dispute was to say that strikers would have their perks withdrawn, but then return them as part of the settlement. Big sign of weakness.
    Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Hilton Gold
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    Unfortunately, you haven't got it right (albeit unlikely that the devoted fans of this thread are going to point this out).

The £21k minimum quoted by BA are for CC that have worked full time. If you go on strike then you haven't worked full time, so the £21k doesn't apply

The first set of strike dates was in 2016, so perhaps the moral of the story for Unite is don't call a strike at the end of 2016 if your members haven't had their bonus yet.

From my understanding MF didn't actually go on strike in 2016 therefore labour was not withdrawn and staff should therefore be entitled to their bonus as they did work full time. Strike dates were called but cancelled while talks at ACAS took place.
    Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:42 pm

You may not be surprised to learn that I disagree. Discretionary payments do exactly what it says on the tin. They are discretionary.

Why would BA want to change a discretionary attendance / performance bonus into a mandatory addition to salary. No logic in that at all.

From my perspective, one of the biggest mistakes by BA in the 2009 / 10/ 11 dispute was to say that strikers would have their perks withdrawn, but then return them as part of the settlement. Big sign of weakness.
    The strike dates were announced for Christmas 2016 but these were called off to allow for the deal brokered at ACAS for us to be consulted over. 70% of us rejected it. There haven't been any days of industrial action in 2016, so people have worked full time.

The reality is still that the salary for this job is £12,192 plus £3 an hour. BA advertised this role as being able to earn £21-25k but has now changed the wording in their job description since this industrial action began to "a potential to earn." The company knows that people are not able to realistically achieve the salary that they're claiming is the standard. I'm not sure if you caught Nick Ferrari's show on LBC at the weekend (and he certainly is no "fan" or "sympathiser" to strike action), but he had a Dropbox set up for people to send their payslips to and many of them clearly were unable to achieve the kind of salary that BA claims is achievable.

I am not a fan of industrial action, and have flown for a number of airlines and never been put in a situation where a situation was reached where the management and the union totally broke down talks. BA are however completely unwilling to talk to the union and negotiate a fair pay deal. All this could quite easily be called off if the airline spent less time on buying strike breakers pizza and covering up the crew buses and actually sitting down with our reps. Having been "caught" for each wave of industrial action, I would much rather have been at work but couldn't in good conscience go to work in the face of the threatening emails from the company and the belligerence that they're showing towards the union. By the way, if that settlement agreement hadn't been signed, we probably would still have Legacy Fleet crew in dispute.
    Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:45 pm

From my understanding MF didn't actually go on strike in 2016 therefore labour was not withdrawn and staff should therefore be entitled to their bonus as they did work full time. Strike dates were called but cancelled while talks at ACAS took place.
    ^, yes you've got that right. Dates were announced for Christmas 2016 but were called off because the union and BA had bargained a deal at ACAS. We had to vote on this over about a two week period and we rejected it by 70%, as the deal had some movement on some issues, but was essentially the same pot of money "rejigged." BA are trying to get around the 2016 issue by saying as it hasn't been paid out yet that they can withhold it, even though we have met all of our 2016 performance targets.
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
    New 4 day strike starting Feb 17th just announced on Sky News.
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:42 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Excellent news, bring it on.
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:49 am

Going on strike does not mean that you cannot be working full-time. Perhaps your definition of full-time varies from the common perspective. The following are taken from the government website.

There is no specific number of hours that makes someone full or part-time, but a full-time worker will usually work 35 hours or more a week.
    and if you want to take it from the benefits perspective:

A jobseeker can work for less than 16 hours on average each week, and the partner of a jobseeker can work 24 hours or less each week
    before they are considered to be in full time work and not eligible for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA).
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:18 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Announcement from Unite:

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ys-of-strikes/
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum,AS MVP
    And BA will publish more details regarding contingency plans Tuesday February 14th. (Valentines day by the way).
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:11 am

Industrial action was called in 2016, which you would think constituted the beginning of the dispute (irrespective of when the strike actually started).

Bit harsh to withhold all of 2016 bonus, but industrial disputes are messy businesses.
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Hilton Gold
    Originally Posted by Lite
    ^, yes you've got that right. Dates were announced for Christmas 2016 but were called off because the union and BA had bargained a deal at ACAS. We had to vote on this over about a two week period and we rejected it by 70%, as the deal had some movement on some issues, but was essentially the same pot of money "rejigged." BA are trying to get around the 2016 issue by saying as it hasn't been paid out yet that they can withhold it, even though we have met all of our 2016 performance targets.

It's appalling that BA are using this tactic. If anyone was in any doubt regarding the morals and bullying tactics of the 'Leadership Team' at this airline, they have made it crystal clear to everyone. Way to go BA. Lite, you and your colleagues have a lot of support. Let's hope for a resolution as soon as possible
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Excellent news, bring it on.
    I suspect a similar sentiment exists at Waterside
    Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by strichener
    Going on strike does not mean that you cannot be working full-time. Perhaps your definition of full-time varies from the common perspective.
    My definition is quite straightforward given the context of the original BA statement.

If you are rostered to work Monday to Friday, but you go on strike on Wednesday then you haven't worked full time (because at a time when you should have been at work, you weren't)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.