FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:10 pm
Lite

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Agent69
There are enough red herrings here to keep John West going for the rest of 2017.

You have previously said that the elapsed hourly rate was increased between 2010 and 2014 (by 25%, which doesn't sound too bad over 4 years). Also you said there had been performance related pay increases. Are these not pay rises? Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question?

Regarding today's decision to call further strikes, can somebody clarify:
  • what is the point of BA negotiating with unite if MF reject the deal. Surely you need to be talking to somebody who is in a position to agree a deal? (Need to be talking to the organ grinder not the monkey)
  • Does anyone know what MF are asking for by way of a pay rise?
The starting salary for CSM's had not increased over the six years of the fleet and there had been no collective bargaining over any cost of living increases, just performance related uplifts. The union has always asked for CSM's to be given the right to bargain and to receive cost of living pay increases in line with other managers in the business.

The pay deal for cabin crew as you've said has seen an hourly rate increase from 2010 to 2014 of 60p an hour from £2.40 to £3 an hour from check in to landing back in the UK. That has to pay for all sustenance as nothing is provided downroute. Essentially BA are asking Cabin Crew to live in west London on £12,900 basic salary if they have to use any of their elapsed hourly rate downroute. This proposed pay increase was rejected by 93% six months ago. The amended deal announced at ACAS is off of the table now after a rejection of 70%, both CSM's and cabin crew.

I am not in the habit of being a serial striker and I've never been accused of being a loony leftie. I don't want to disrupt anybody's travel plans nor do I particularly want to see the company brought into disrepute. Sadly, this is effectively a 6p an hour pay increase with no bargaining rights for CSM's. I am due to be at work both days and will be taking part in this industrial action.

It could easily be rectified if the company simply put a meaningful pay increase on the basic salaries of crew of all grades in line with RPI, seriously looked at our elapsed hourly rate (currently about 80p behind airlines like Thomson and Thomas Cook who also do Mixed flying) and seriously considered back pay as in other pay deals and this would all go away. Instead the company wants to fight a largely young workforce over 6p an hour.