Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:15 pm
    Suspended

When BA came up with MF, was there a reason that the group elected to be represented by Unite instead of BASA. It would seem that having a single union for all cabin crew would have provided more negotiating leverage with management?

Also, is there a reason Unite/MF hasn't sought to have other workers "not cross" their picket line and honor their action, or is it a different system in the UK -- I'm thinking about US strikes.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
    Going walkabout implies leaving the hotel and being unavailable.Entirely different to remaining in the hotel on a legal strike.

Once again please dont misquote me or put words in my mouth.

Interesting comment, remaining in the hotel on a legal strike. Who will be paying for this hotel? The union? The individual striker? Will that hotel room be available for occupancy by a striker? BA have no liability to pickup the hotel costs of a striker so they will have to arrange their own hotel room and pay for it. The legality of strikes is fine, it only means you are protected in the sense that IF you are sacked for striking you will automatically win at a tribunal which can recommend but not enforce reemployment. It can award limited and defined damages for such a dismissal. Whilst on a legal strike you are not guaranteed a hotel room at someone else's expense, nor are you guaranteed repatriation at someone else's expense. The right to strike does not give you the right to expect that you can do financial damage to a company and he company has no options - for example you do not get paid for those days you strike, which is why the unions pay strike pay.

There are many reasons the unions do not ask crew to strike down route, and the unions, oddly enough, have researched it before now and have taken legal advice.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
    I know this is off-topic, and could possibly be moved to an appropriate thread, but can you explain what you mean by a standby phone? Is it literally a phone handed to each crew member on standby? How does the standby process work?
    A 1996 vintage Nokia on a lanyard is handed out to each crew member on standby. We hang around the Crew Centre for 6 hours twiddling our thumbs, having a snooze, nattering and so on. We get called out generally to report immediately for up to three days away (on Eurofleeet, Mixed Fleet have different rules).
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by bwaflyer
    A 1996 vintage Nokia on a lanyard is handed out to each crew member on standby. We hang around the Crew Centre for 6 hours twiddling our thumbs, having a snooze, nattering and so on. We get called out generally to report immediately for up to three days away (on Eurofleeet, Mixed Fleet have different rules).
    One must have to love the job to accept that. Private life can't have anything really planned in advance unless you have vacation booked. Another reason why even 21K p.a. isn't enough, if that's even what you get.

Fully behind MF.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:25 pm
    sxc
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
    Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    One must have to love the job to accept that. Private life can't have anything really planned in advance unless you have vacation booked. Another reason why even 21K p.a. isn't enough, if that's even what you get.

Fully behind MF.
    I assume you are paid the hourly rate while on reserve though?
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:02 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by elitetraveler
    When BA came up with MF, was there a reason that the group elected to be represented by Unite instead of BASA. It would seem that having a single union for all cabin crew would have provided more negotiating leverage with management?

Also, is there a reason Unite/MF hasn't sought to have other workers "not cross" their picket line and honor their action, or is it a different system in the UK -- I'm thinking about US strikes.
    It is all the same union - BASSA is merely a division of Unite.

You'll find lots of posts up-thread explaining exactly why encouraging other workers not to cross a picket line is illegal in the UK, where we have some of the strictest union rules in the Western world.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer

Fully behind MF.
    BA argues 21k is the minimum, the union says thats more 18k. But what's the average for someone 5-10 years in? I wouldn't be shocked if some of the older FAs make fairly decent money.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:28 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    It is all the same union - BASSA is merely a division of Unite.

You'll find lots of posts up-thread explaining exactly why encouraging other workers not to cross a picket line is illegal in the UK, where we have some of the strictest union rules in the Western world.
    Ok, thanks -- but am I correct MF is not part of BASSA?
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by sxc
    I assume you are paid the hourly rate while on reserve though?
    MF crew are paid the hourly rate whilst on airport standby, standby at the airport is maximum 6 hours and we could be called at anytime during that period for long or short haul. It could be a simple there and back or it could be the 9 day SIN/SYD. Standbys start at various points throughout the day to cover specific long haul trips (short hauls are easier to cover owing to the reduced duty hours generally). Should a crew member be called out off airport standby, their duty starts at the time they started airport standby so the longer they are on standby the more restrictive it becomes in what they can be called for.

BASSA do not represent MF crew, we are represented by MFUnite. Both are branches of UNITE the union, but operate separately.

The strikes so far have been interesting for both sides. BA have claimed it has made no impact at all, however they have had to absorb the financial burden of chartering in up to 5 aircraft from the likes of Titan, Thomson and Vueling. They say they have cancelled no flights, which on the day of strikes is true but they have tactically cancelled days before, therefore making the figures look more appealing to them. Crew not rostered to fly, for example home standbys, available a, training, ground duty days have all been changed to airport standby. Flights have gone below normal crewing levels and the initial round of strikes had service changes, I.e. No F service on selected long hauls and simplified club world meal service. So in essence it has disrupted the company, but not enough to warrant action or media attention.

On the other side of the fence, in comparison to total numbers of crew on MF, only a small number have actually taken industrial action. For those that did strike, there are consequences which they have been made aware of (loss of daily pay, loss of bonuses, loss of staff travel benefits). For CSM's the losses are greater, perhaps a reason why only a handful of CSM's actually striked.

Regards
    D1L
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:53 pm

Very retro

Thank you for clarifying.
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
    Originally Posted by elitetraveler

I can't answer specifics about BA/UNITE/BASSA but the Strike laws in the UK are very restrictive dating back to the 1970s when the unions were heavily involved in politics and were accused of using their members for political ends.

BA has split it's workforce into separate entities each with it's own terms and conditions (I am not entirely sure this is legal, but I am no lawyer). Only one part (MF) has voted to strike. The other parts can not go out on sympathy strikes, they cannot go on the picket lines as that is classed as secondary picketing. These actions are not illegal, but the legal protections given to striking workers do not extend to secondary action (I believe not not sure on this so bare with me, that BA could sack sympathy strikers and secondary picketers quite legally).

UNITE-MF & BASSA are both branches of UNITE, but as they represent workers from different legal entities I believe they have to be represented by separate branches.

I prefer the Nordic model of Unions which are broad based and have (in my opinion) done a far superior job of maintaining and improving workers rights. Unite is a deeply political organisation and gets mixed up in a variety of side issues (such as Palestine solidarity or the leadership of the Labour party) which again in my opinion distract from the job the Union should be doing.
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:44 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    We get called out generally to report immediately for up to three days away (on Eurofleeet, Mixed Fleet have different rules).
    Originally Posted by Door1Left
    MF crew are paid the hourly rate whilst on airport standby, standby at the airport is maximum 6 hours and we could be called at anytime during that period for long or short haul. It could be a simple there and back or it could be the 9 day SIN/SYD.
    May I please ask what happens on WW?

I can see how it's just part of the job if every time you're rostered for airport standby, you can expect potentially to be away on a 3-day trip and therefore need to plan your life on that basis. That's not much different from simply being rostered that day to operate a 3-day trip.

But I imagine that it's as difficult for crew as it is for the rest of us to plan to be away for 9 days, and that it could be very difficult and disruptive to have to expect potentially to be away for 9 days every time you're rostered for airport standby. Is this just the sort of thing that WW has to put up with as well if they're on airport standby? Or do they have different rules?
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:22 am
    sxc
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
    Originally Posted by Globaliser
    May I please ask what happens on WW?

I can see how it's just part of the job if every time you're rostered for airport standby, you can expect potentially to be away on a 3-day trip and therefore need to plan your life on that basis. That's not much different from simply being rostered that day to operate a 3-day trip.

But I imagine that it's as difficult for crew as it is for the rest of us to plan to be away for 9 days, and that it could be very difficult and disruptive to have to expect potentially to be away for 9 days every time you're rostered for airport standby. Is this just the sort of thing that WW has to put up with as well if they're on airport standby? Or do they have different rules?
    I think that's just the nature of the job. My cabin crew friends (non BA) hate reserve exactly for this reason.
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:29 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    On WW we don't do airport standby, we either do 45 minute standby in 8 hour blocks from an airport hotel for which we are paid full allowances or 2 hour standby from home.
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:48 am

So I realize that Unite needs to give seven days notice of strike option, but at what point can staff decide to walk off the job?

Could crews of MF report for duty on strike days, go through the crew briefing, board half the passengers and then decide to walk off the job? Even with additional staff on duty at the airport, this would be disruptive to BA operations and would delay flights, particularly if all/a significant portion of cabin crew walked off. It would also potentially lead to more media coverage, which the union may view as favourable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.