Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
    What an odd thing to say. So far there have been 3 ballots and all have been in favour of industrial action. This will be the ninth time they will take action, so it looks to me that it's most definitely sticking.

For what it's worth, this time I will have flights right in the middle of this action, but I still support the employees 100%. ^
    Its a simple case of mathematics, or math, for our continental cousins. There are simply not enough of MF to make the effect s of any strike sufficiently damaging to BA's operation. They are simply not numerous enough, there are still too many WW and EF crews around and not enough MF crew. Flights will continue to operate and business will continue to be done. the level of service maybe reduced but flights will still fly.

The economics are also against MF crew, how many of them can afford to lose 16 days pay? They are poorly paid and it is unlikely that they will have sufficient money set aside to support them through 16 days loss of pay. Furthermore, the mandate for the continuance of strike action was, I believe, something in the order of 58/42, perhaps CIHY can furnish us with the correct numbers. If this is correct then those that voted to continue with strike action are significantly diminished from previous ballots and strikes. Some MF crew are not unionised and will have to turn up, some will not support the strike and will not turn up, some will not be able to afford to strike and will turn up. All in all BA have a lot of things in their favour and the union not so many.

i do believe they have good case but I do not now, nor have I ever believed that the timing of this dispute was propitious. The union should have waited till EF, at least, were a distant memory and then they would have had a better chance of making the strike stick.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:25 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Markie
    I don't think DUB was mixed fleet during the last strikes.
    I have a feeling you might be right. I will check through my notes when we had the strikes earlier this year and I should be able to confirm.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    I have a feeling you might be right. I will check through my notes when we had the strikes earlier this year and I should be able to confirm.

Thanks - that would be great.

I thought that LHR was listed as one of the impacted airports. And maybe DUB as well. Maybe I misread that.

For the list of impacted airports - does this refer to the departure or arrival or both?
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:28 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
    Both, the crew operate LHR-XXX-LHR.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:25 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by tspill
    Thanks - that would be great.

I thought that LHR was listed as one of the impacted airports. And maybe DUB as well. Maybe I misread that.

For the list of impacted airports - does this refer to the departure or arrival or both?
    Yes, checked now and DUB was not an MF route during any of the previous strikes this year.

Both, so this affects departures and arrivals on a route to the list of destinations linked to in the wiki of the MF routes.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:33 pm

I said this way upthread, but the union has to make BA hurt if this will work. And that doesn't seem to be working yet.

If the union is in a legal strike position, and on strike dates, is there anything that legally prohibits crew from walking off the job down route?

Were I Unite, I'd instruct staff to just keep working as normal, and then yank just enough MF off a flight down route so as to force a cancellation, and fly them back to LHR using paid tickets on other airlines.

This wouldn't work at big stations, but at those with only one-two flights a day, it could be very effective. The majority of MF would continue to work and get paid, but the union would inflict quite a lot of damage on the airline for relatively little money - and likely have a greater impact than what's been done to date.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect Unite would pull off staff somewhere like Tehran, but in Calgary or Newark or Santiago or Johannesburg, it could be extremely effective.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
    Obviously, I wouldn't expect Unite would pull off staff somewhere like Tehran, but in Calgary or Newark or Santiago or Johannesburg, it could be extremely effective.
    And totally illegal under U.K. law.

Unite would be open to unlimited damages and the individuals would get fired.

And to be frank it wouldn't even be that effective. BA would rebook a relatively small number of disrupted passengers and the aircraft would fly as scheduled to be ready for its next trip at LHR albeit empty.

Only 30% of mixed fleet have actually taken strike action anyway so Unite could never be sure they would force a cancellation as BA crews above minimum complement on long haul.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:41 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    I appreciate that BA will only communicate their contingency plans a couple of days prior the first day of the strike but I am still a bit worried. They don't mention anything at all on their website (yet). I am not sure whether I should arrange a plan B already or not. I'm currently on BA1394 LHR-MAN on July 1st.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by florens
    I appreciate that BA will only communicate their contingency plans a couple of days prior the first day of the strike but I am still a bit worried. They don't mention anything at all on their website (yet). I am not sure whether I should arrange a plan B already or not. I'm currently on BA1394 LHR-MAN on July 1st.
    Here's my take - if you have to be on that flight at that time and you're price sensitive - book a plan B now.

If you're not price sensitive - wait until a few days nearer the strike.

If you don't have to be on that exact flight (and just need to get to London that day) - don't worry about it.

Here's mine:

I'm on the first LHR-DUB flight of the day on the 1st, returning on the 2nd, to connect to a later transatlantic.

If they cancel the first flight, put me on the 2nd, I won't have time to B2B to the 2nd flight with the new arrangement at DUB.

If they cancel the 2nd flight and put me on the third - no biggy - just more time in the lounge.

If they cancel the transatlantic (which seems unlikely given past strikes) - then I'll end up re-routed via another hub (last flight of the day).

My gamble - I won't have any history with this flight as I'm travelling on the 1st July - so I can't see what's "normally" been happening.

So I'm going to cancel my plan A and book a new one using Aer Lingus. Scenarios 2 and 3 are both fine. It becomes a problem if Scenario 1 hits and I won't know that until the day. A combination of 2 and 3 could get entertaining - but I'm sure it'd be fine.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:23 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    Originally Posted by MPH1980
    Here's my take - if you have to be on that flight at that time and you're price sensitive - book a plan B now.

If you're not price sensitive - wait until a few days nearer the strike.

If you don't have to be on that exact flight (and just need to get to London that day) - don't worry about it.
    Ok, thanks.

I don't *need* to be on that flight, but it would be nice if I could. There are two more flights that day, so even if my rotation is cancelled I suspect that we'll be put on to any later service (although they are on a mid-A321 and A319 currently and look already quite busy - as is ours.

For now I think I'll monitor closely EF to see if my flight gets zeroed out all of a sudden.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:30 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Whilst it's comparatively easy for me to say, given my next outbound DUB for an (overnight) B2B is 20th July and therefore will almost certainly not be affected by strike action given the notice period required, I would not be unduly concerned even if I happened to be travelling within the strike period - albeit my return could be at risk if a further strike period is announced, which would hardly be an issue.

DUB has many connections to long haul flights on the earlier departures, so BA will want to protect them, and there are plenty of options within the IAG portfolio to get people to either LHR, LGW or LCY if the worst happens. There could conceivably be some consolidation of the services that serve less connecting passengers, but I'd expect the first, second and last (for positioning for the next day's first flight) services of the day to operate as normal as an absolute minimum.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 19, 2017 at 2:55 am
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA GOLD
    Watching this thread with interest as have NCL-LHR on 29/6 - going to see Adele at Wembley - then 30/6 off to Lisbon until 4/7. Hoping no problems with my return journey but if my flight is cancelled what would my course of action be? I am assuming that we would be rebooked on to a same day service but with a connection through LHR to NCL it does limit our options.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:08 am

Im flying with BA from CAI to LHR on July 15th (with a QR connection to DPS over DOH). Its a MF Flight but the flight seems pretty full and its the only BA or even OW flight from CAI to LHR. In this case I dont think I need any plan B. Am I right with this thought?
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by ICPUI
    Im flying with BA from CAI to LHR on July 15th (with a QR connection to DPS over DOH). Its a MF Flight but the flight seems pretty full and its the only BA or even OW flight from CAI to LHR. In this case I dont think I need any plan B. Am I right with this thought?
    Perhaps,but QR is not permitted to fly CAI-DOH at the moment,so you may have a problem there.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
    Perhaps,but QR is not permitted to fly CAI-DOH at the moment,so you may have a problem there.
    I know, I was rerouted from CAI-DOH to CAI-LHR-DOH. I hope I dont need a rerouting again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.