Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:04 am

Hi, i'm new at FT, i'm from Germany, sorry for my bad english :P

My wife and i fly at 3rd July DUS-LHR-LAX, with American Airlines operated by BA. Is there any problems with the flights? I read DUS-LHR is operated by MF Crews Are there any options for us? Maybe AA will book us to an another connection?
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
    Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
    Thankfully, following a lot of emotional turmoil, debating and upset, I can see clearly now and am at peace with my stance. The ones I love in my life are important and deserve my time, not an entity that has been driven into the ground by corporate greed on an unceasing quest to piss off its staff, customers and former supporters.
    Completely support you, couldn't agree more. They way this organisation treats people is just unacceptable.

I'll likely be affected, but I understand the reasons.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:44 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
    Programs: BAEC & VS.
    Noticed on expert flyer that three LHR - Dublin flights on Monday July 3rd are showing zero's in every selling class.

could this be a pointer to potential strike cancelled flights?
    BA832 BA834 BA836 are the flights.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:49 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Bat 21
    Noticed on expert flyer that three LHR - Dublin flights on Monday July 3rd are showing zero's in every selling class.

could this be a pointer to potential strike cancelled flights?
    BA832 BA834 BA836 are the flights.
    Or could they just be full? What about the returns?
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    Returns are still selling.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:56 am

Doh! - why didn't I think to check - they are all zero's also (BA831 BA833 BA835).
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
    Returns are still selling.
    Originally Posted by Bat 21
    Doh! - why didn't I think to check - they are all zero's also (BA831 BA833 BA835).
    Oops - you're right - they are all 0-ed out.

But it would be very strange for BA to cancel so many rotations to one place.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
    Oops - you're right - they are all 0-ed out.

But it would be very strange for BA to cancel so many rotations to one place.
    BA site shows the BA flights as sold out but availability Aer Lingus.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    There are all sorts of practice and sensible reasons why the unions do not ask their members to strike down route. Who will pay for the tickets home?on what carrier? How will other union members react to seeing their subs spent on air tickets? Who will cover accommodation down route for those who strike while they wait for their ride home? Will it affect their visa status? This is not the first time that there has been a strike at BA by flying staff, why do you think that they don't ask their members to strike abroad? There are some very creative minds in the unions - these matters have been considered and rejected.
    I don't think minds are too creative if they keep trying the same thing, and it keeps not working.

I have a friend who works in the Canadian diplomatic service. A few years ago, they were on strike for nearly half a year. Instead of pulling everyone off the job, the union pulled off staff whose absence would have the greatest effect -
    think visa officers in India or anyone working where the Prime Minister was about to travel (including staff abroad). This meant that on most days the vast majority of staff were at work (and paid), and also allowed the strike fund to 100% replace the income of staff who were pulled off work/had their pay cut. The idea was to create maximum disruption for minimum cost, and at the end of the day they negotiated a very good pay agreement.

Answers to your questions are mostly quite simple:

1) The union would pay the flights home, from a strike fund.
    2) On whichever carrier can be booked reasonably (many carriers fly to London).
    3) Other union members will continue to work, and be paid. They aren't blind either, and if they are really motivated to make this work, I can't see this being a problem.
    4) If executed properly, the staff will only notify the airline that they are walking off the job an hour or so before flight departure time, so BA will have paid the accommodation costs. They then grab a cab for the airport and head home, while BA sorts out the mess.
    5) Visa status is a fair question. I imagine its pretty manageable, but this would obviously affect where the union could pull staff off downroute (although downroute is also Manchester or Aberdeen or Glasgow).
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
    I don't think minds are too creative if they keep trying the same thing, and it keeps not working.

I have a friend who works in the Canadian diplomatic service. A few years ago, they were on strike for nearly half a year. Instead of pulling everyone off the job, the union pulled off staff whose absence would have the greatest effect -
    think visa officers in India or anyone working where the Prime Minister was about to travel (including staff abroad). This meant that on most days the vast majority of staff were at work (and paid), and also allowed the strike fund to 100% replace the income of staff who were pulled off work/had their pay cut. The idea was to create maximum disruption for minimum cost, and at the end of the day they negotiated a very good pay agreement.

Answers to your questions are mostly quite simple:

1) The union would pay the flights home, from a strike fund.
    2) On whichever carrier can be booked reasonably (many carriers fly to London).
    3) Other union members will continue to work, and be paid. They aren't blind either, and if they are really motivated to make this work, I can't see this being a problem.
    4) If executed properly, the staff will only notify the airline that they are walking off the job an hour or so before flight departure time, so BA will have paid the accommodation costs. They then grab a cab for the airport and head home, while BA sorts out the mess.
    5) Visa status is a fair question. I imagine its pretty manageable, but this would obviously affect where the union could pull staff off downroute (although downroute is also Manchester or Aberdeen or Glasgow).
    If the crew were planning to go on strike down route (which for the reasons already noted is not a particularly good idea) why would BA roster them on the outbound flight to start with?
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:37 pm

I think you, in a roundabout way, answered your own point.The reason it is not working is that it is not having sufficient impact - because there are insufficient MF crew to make it work, they are unable to target enough weak points to make enough impact.

Do you honestly think the union has not considered your idea? This is not the first strike that UNITE have run amongst cabin crew. Incidentally BALPA, the pilot's union has exactly the same policy wrt striking down route i.e. They don't do it. Like most things that seem simple when typing on a bulletin board the reality is seldom so cut and dried and simple.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:47 pm

If the crew were planning to go on strike down route (which for the reasons already noted is not a particularly good idea) why would BA roster them on the outbound flight to start with?
    Obviously, they would not alert BA until downroute. @:-) That's the point.

I honestly haven't seen any good explanations as to why this is a bad idea. Someone claimed it was against the law, but there appears to be no law forbidding it, and then I've read that some crew might not like it, or it might be complicated, or there might be costs that would be incurred. The current strategy has real costs as well - everyone's salary.

Last edited by makin'miles; Jun 20, 2017 at 12:54 pm
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    I think you, in a roundabout way, answered your own point.The reason it is not working is that it is not having sufficient impact - because there are insufficient MF crew to make it work, they are unable to target enough weak points to make enough impact.

Do you honestly think the union has not considered your idea? This is not the first strike that UNITE have run amongst cabin crew. Incidentally BALPA, the pilot's union has exactly the same policy wrt striking down route i.e. They don't do it. Like most things that seem simple when typing on a bulletin board the reality is seldom so cut and dried and simple.
    It strikes me that the union is not striking any weak points at all. They are just yanking all members off at the same time. Given their low numbers, this is not working (we agree on that). Rescinding services down-route would be more strategic and actually inflict real disruption on the airline's operations.

Is it really so complicated to buy some train tickets from Scotland back to London and yank the staff off once they land at, say, EDI on a Thursday afternoon? I don't think so, personally.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:53 pm

Obviously, they would not alert BA until downroute. @:-) That's the point.
    That would also be illegal.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:04 pm

That would also be illegal.
    If its during legal strike days, as notified by the union, why is it illegal?

I'd appreciate if you could point out the relevant portion of UK legislation.

In the UK staff are not permitted by law to work on a legal strike day, and withdraw services at some point during the day?

There are clearly MF unionized crew who have worked on legal strike days so far. Is the union required to provide the company a list of staff who will or will not be striking in advance?

Last edited by makin'miles; Jun 20, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.