Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:09 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
    Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
    It's quite apparent BA have prepared for this and the following action. I remember the miners strike where the then company the NCB had no intention of backing down. I hope the MF crew don't suffer the same fate. At the very least they are soon going to be down 10% on lost wages. I can't see any happy endings here.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:30 pm

So the new strike dates coincides with our first ever experience of First to YYZ. What can I expect to experience (and what compensation if any)?
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:49 pm
    Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jofnan
    So the new strike dates coincides with our first ever experience of First to YYZ. What can I expect to experience (and what compensation if any)?
    No issues whatsoever. Long hauls will run as normal.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
    Forgot the golden rule today and booked LHR to BIO on July 20th before reading Flyertalk and finding out about the next set of strike dates.

Oh well, live and learn.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:04 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
    Forgot the golden rule today and booked LHR to BIO on July 20th before reading Flyertalk and finding out about the next set of strike dates.

Oh well, live and learn.
    I don't think BIO has been affected at all this strike so I don't expect you will see any impact on your flights.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: ba exec club
    A moment for those not striking...

Having just flown LHR-AUH in WT+ and spent a good amount of time chatting to the reduced 8 crew members I must just say how hard the crew who are at work are working over this time.

They delivered and absolutely fabulous service and although the safety video had to be played twice so the crew could cover the whole cabin, and the service took a little longer than usual, they really worked their socks off and still worked with great purpose.

On chatting to them later on, they are clearly irritated by those striking, and it was very endearing to hear that yes, they care about the customer, they care about the job, and they believe striking to this level only loses business.

I must say it was possibly the nicest crew, very business and customer minded, that I have come across in mixed fleet.

So thank you cabin crew. Those of you at work at the moment, you're keeping business with BA.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
    Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
    yes, just realized that it is b/c of thunderstorms. Still odd to cancel the 777 instead of the 767, but maybe it is b/c the 6 to 7 am time slot is not as crowded as the 7 to 8 am time slot?
    More than likely it's to avoid disrupting an afternoon long haul rotation that 777 does after it gets back from Madrid - a delay that could ripple on for days.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
    I would add the contrasting point that I have the fullest sympathies for all the striking crew members.

BA is on a radical cost cutting strategy. Hard to miss from a passenger perspective, but speaking to crew they are a lot harder hit - at least as passengers we have a choice.

I wish them all the best with their strike, though I suspect it will have very little effect.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
    Good to read of your positive experience and the great service from the cabin crew.

Please consider sending in a 'well done' message about these crew members regarding the great service you received. If you do not have their names, a description will help I understand as well as their position on the aircraft.

Having spoken to Abigail Comber, Head of Customer at BA at the recent reception, she was very clear that these messages do reach staff and is delighted when passengers take the time to do it.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
    Originally Posted by ABJ92
    Having just flown LHR-AUH in WT+ and spent a good amount of time chatting to the reduced 8 crew members I must just say how hard the crew who are at work are working over this time.

They delivered and absolutely fabulous service and although the safety video had to be played twice so the crew could cover the whole cabin, and the service took a little longer than usual, they really worked their socks off and still worked with great purpose.

On chatting to them later on, they are clearly irritated by those striking, and it was very endearing to hear that yes, they care about the customer, they care about the job, and they believe striking to this level only loses business.

I must say it was possibly the nicest crew, very business and customer minded, that I have come across in mixed fleet.

So thank you cabin crew. Those of you at work at the moment, you're keeping business with BA.
    Maybe if they put as much effort in supporting their colleagues than criticising them then there would be better team spirit in BA. I still think cabin crew shouldn't be crossing picket lines. Of course there is nothing to stop them doing so, but morally it's wrong! I have never crossed a picket line even when it isn't myself personally being asked to strike/having been balloted.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by hungry
    Maybe if they put as much effort in supporting their colleagues than criticising them then there would be better team spirit in BA. I still think cabin crew shouldn't be crossing picket lines. Of course there is nothing to stop them doing so, but morally it's wrong! I have never crossed a picket line even when it isn't myself personally being asked to strike/having been balloted.
    Are you saying they shouldn't be going to work, or simply they shouldn't be physically crossing the picket lines?

Is there a way for them to get where they need to be without crossing those lines?
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:03 am

BA are a disgrace letting this go on for so long.

Just pay them what they want a fair wage, and bring this dispute to a close.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
    Are you saying they shouldn't be going to work, or simply they shouldn't be physically crossing the picket lines?

Is there a way for them to get where they need to be without crossing those lines?
    The UK law is quite clear. If you are going to your place of work and there is a picket line (I don't know how it works for Cabin Crew, could be the BA staff entrance to T5) and you are not directly on strike (having not been balloted) then you DO NOT have to go in, and the employer can not discipline you for it- you have the same protection as those protected by the legal ballot.

So if the non striking cabin crew respected the picket line in the way stated above, as they arrived at the staff door to T5, and all said oh golly a picket line- lets go home, I am sure this dispute would be resolved by now as BA would have no planes flying at all...

Its called solidarity I think..

4. Going on strike and picketing

A picket line is where workers and union reps (‘picketers’ or ‘pickets’) stand outside a workplace to tell other people why they are striking. Pickets may also ask people not to:

do some of their usual work
    go into work
    Pickets must not prevent people from going to work or doing their usual work if they want to do so.
    Industrial action by non-union members
    Non-union members who take part in legal, official industrial action have the same rights as union members not to be dismissed as a result of taking action.
    I don't know where this myth that if you have not been balloted yourself for the dispute, you are not allowed to refuse to cross the picket line. I am sure BA put this out to try and scare members of staff into coming in. Wouldn't surprise me if they threatened disciplinary action too. We all know that the UK government are always on the side of the employers rather than the workers in any disputes.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:39 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
    Originally Posted by ABJ92
    and they believe striking to this level only loses business.
    ...which seems to imply that management/non-striking staff must simply "endure" the strike, and then continue without addressing the root cause of the industrial unrest.

*THAT* is what loses business.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    hungry

Spare a moment for the individuals right to freedom of thought and action!

I am not commenting on this action but as a general principle. If people choose to work that's up to them - if they wanted to strike they would be on strike. To say it's bad form to do otherwise is just bluster, like saying you shouldn't grass etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.