Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
    More strike dates just announced 19th July-1st August inclusive.
    Well that's my parentals Golden wedding anniversary holiday to Vienna had a bit of added fun then.

Good luck to them, and MF.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
    To be clear, no one in mixed fleet earns anywhere close to this, more like £20,000 or less.

And really £70,000 for someone based in London with 20 years of experience in a leadership role is hardly an extravagant salary.
    Given the particular industry and the level of leadership (i.e. lowest tier) it's a salary that would likely raise some eyebrows.

Of course, that's not an MF salary so it's OT here. Though perhaps such figures may explain why BA created MF in the first place.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:36 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
    Crikey, another 14 days from 19th July
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:41 am
    Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
    Wow, my exact travel dates. How convenient . I assume the flights will go on, but I will be annoyed if it's 'reduced service' on board.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:44 am
    Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
    Originally Posted by Ziz
    Wow, my exact travel dates. How convenient . I assume the flights will go on, but I will be annoyed if it's 'reduced service' on board.
    I'm on a DME-LHR on 31/07 and can only say that I cannot see how they could reduce the service any lower than it already is in Y but am sure they might find a way.

S
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:46 am
    Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
    LOL. I'm in J and long haul and saw a report about J service being pared down due to fewer than usual crew on the 787.

I haven't read every post, but has there been any consensus about recourse/compensation were that to happen?
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
    BA 458 to MAD just canceled for tomorrow morning (777, MF). Called immediately and was able to rebook on 456 for the last two seats in J. That flight has been "upgraded" to a 767. Agent could not quite understand why flight was canceled so close to departure time; maybe they needed plane somewhere else?
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
    More strike dates just announced 19th July-1st August inclusive.
    Calling a strike is one thing, getting people to support it is another.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ziz
    LOL. I'm in J and long haul and saw a report about J service being pared down due to fewer than usual crew on the 787.

I haven't read every post, but has there been any consensus about recourse/compensation were that to happen?
    I've been through it - if you're not paying attention - you won't notice.

It's a bit slower - that's about it really.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
    Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
    BA 458 to MAD just canceled for tomorrow morning (777, MF). Called immediately and was able to rebook on 456 for the last two seats in J. That flight has been "upgraded" to a 767. Agent could not quite understand why flight was canceled so close to departure time; maybe they needed plane somewhere else?
    Good to see the agent is on the ball :roll eyes:

The 456 is normally a 767, whenever I've taken it.
    458 is part of 20 odd cancellations for tomorrow due forecast thunderstorms.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
    Calling a strike is one thing, getting people to support it is another.
    Indeed. I think the fact that this thread hasn't been at the top of the BA board permanently for the last 5 days shows the lack of customer impact it's had.

Basically, so few cancellations, so little disruption, that it simply hasn't been worth talking about.

I suspect, but haven't counted, that there were almost as many posts about the QR seating and service than there have been in this thread in the same time frame.

And that - as I keep saying - is the problem MF have. Until they cause pictures of crying children on the front of the Daily Mail, the public won't care and if BA are intransigent about the costs they are taking on - they won't win.

Now - the question is how much of a brave face BA are putting on the costs and how long are they really willing to keep with it.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
    Originally Posted by surryson
    Good to see the agent is on the ball :roll eyes:

The 456 is normally a 767, whenever I've taken it.
    458 is part of 20 odd cancellations for tomorrow due forecast thunderstorms.
    yes, just realized that it is b/c of thunderstorms. Still odd to cancel the 777 instead of the 767, but maybe it is b/c the 6 to 7 am time slot is not as crowded as the 7 to 8 am time slot?
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
    Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
    yes, just realized that it is b/c of thunderstorms. Still odd to cancel the 777 instead of the 767, but maybe it is b/c the 6 to 7 am time slot is not as crowded as the 7 to 8 am time slot?
    The 767 actually has more seats than the 777.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
    Off to Krakow during the latest strike.. 26-29 July. Let's see what happens!
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:01 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
    Off to Krakow during the latest strike.. 26-29 July. Let's see what happens!
    Seems KRK was typically one of the routes the QR aircraft were put on, so I expect your flight will be ok but operated by QR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.