Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:11 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
    Like all routes in can be affected. So far in this strike round, only one or two longhaul flights were cancelled in the first week of the strike and they were loaded about a week before. There are so many options to reroute you that I wouldn't worry about it for a second, but it's always good to look at your plan B (regardless of the case).
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by hungry
    Maybe if they put as much effort in supporting their colleagues than criticising them then there would be better team spirit in BA. I still think cabin crew shouldn't be crossing picket lines. Of course there is nothing to stop them doing so, but morally it's wrong! I have never crossed a picket line even when it isn't myself personally being asked to strike/having been balloted.
    Did we read the same post?

Do people not have choices anymore? It's very possible that some cabin crew do not suffer the same grievances as the strikers and would rather work than strike. Nothing morally wrong with that.

I'm sure many of us have been in a position where you were balloted. I have never felt the need to strike. If I were so unhappy in my job, well, no one is forcing me to keep it.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
    The UK law is quite clear. If you are going to your place of work and there is a picket line (I don't know how it works for Cabin Crew, could be the BA staff entrance to T5) and you are not directly on strike (having not been balloted) then you DO NOT have to go in, and the employer can not discipline you for it- you have the same protection as those protected by the legal ballot.
    Out of curiosity, how does that work if you are overseas and due to work the flight back to base on a day the strike is called? Do you refuse to enter the overseas airport? Stay in the hotel at BA's expense?
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:57 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
    The strike is between the dates announced, based on report for duty at LHR times.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:23 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
    Another strange plane leaving LHR - is it covering BA? Literally five mins ago but not showing on plane finder..
    Attached Images  
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:26 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
    Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
    Originally Posted by mikeyfly
    Another strange plane leaving LHR - is it covering BA? Literally five mins ago but not showing on plane finder..
    Hi,

It looks like one of the A330 Voyager aircraft ( used by the RAF for air to air refuelling) which can be converted for passenger use. The pods on the outer wings look like the pods for the fuel hoses.

It could be on govt duty to the G20 summit?

Regards

TBS
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Its called solidarity I think.
    Or possibly blackmail, depending on which side of the fence you're sitting on.

However, I struggle to see how you justify your position. Based of figures quoted at the beginning of the dispute, there are about 4000 MF crew with about 2500 in Unite. In the latest ballot 72% (1800) took part and 56% (about 1008) supported strike action. Why on earth do you expect the overwhelming majority who didn't vote to strike to now support the strikers? In a democratic society the logical outcome would be that the 25% would see that there was no real support for their action and go back to work.

To continue the action is selfish and I can understand some of the non strikers being unimpressed by their antics.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:45 pm

The UK law is quite clear. If you are going to your place of work and there is a picket line (I don't know how it works for Cabin Crew, could be the BA staff entrance to T5) and you are not directly on strike (having not been balloted) then you DO NOT have to go in, and the employer can not discipline you for it- you have the same protection as those protected by the legal ballot.

So if the non striking cabin crew respected the picket line in the way stated above, as they arrived at the staff door to T5, and all said oh golly a picket line- lets go home, I am sure this dispute would be resolved by now as BA would have no planes flying at all...

Its called solidarity I think..
    All this is irrelevant. You can't in the UK, by law, stage a picket on private property without the owner's consent. The owner at Heathrow is Heathrow Airport Ltd. They have not consented to picketing, and so Unite doesn't stage pickets on airport property.

This means there is no picket outside Terminal 5 (staff entrance or not), nor the entrance to the staff car park. They can and sometimes do stage pickets on the public roads outside the airport boundary, as long as they don't obstruct vehicle movements, but not the internal roads (still accessible to the public) within the airport boundary.

As there are lots of ways into the Heathrow Airport complex, including by train and Underground, there's no effective way of picketing all of them, or even more than a token handful of them, so most people arriving for work won't see a picket line at all.

For example anyone entering the Heathrow complex from the M4 (a major route for car drivers) will do so down the Airport Spur, which has the same "No Pedestrians" regulations as the main motorway, and these last up to the airport boundary. so nowhere to legally stand with your placard.

Last edited by Andy33; Jul 6, 2017 at 12:55 pm Reason: Extra info.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by SonTech
    Always make me wonder if the pay was not as advertised them why hasn't Unite simply taken BA to court to get the pay as advertised or promised?
    They wouldn't take up BA's offer for independent auditing on what MF actually get paid, and they won't go to court to try and get perks reinstated. They don't have the balls.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
    Or possibly blackmail, depending on which side of the fence you're sitting on.

However, I struggle to see how you justify your position. Based of figures quoted at the beginning of the dispute, there are about 4000 MF crew with about 2500 in Unite. In the latest ballot 72% (1800) took part and 56% (about 1008) supported strike action. Why on earth do you expect the overwhelming majority who didn't vote to strike to now support the strikers? In a democratic society the logical outcome would be that the 25% would see that there was no real support for their action and go back to work.

To continue the action is selfish and I can understand some of the non strikers being unimpressed by their antics.

Mixed fleet now numbers around 5500. It's nice to see some support here at last for the 4100 at work instead of the 1400 who aren't.

All 5500 are being denied an agreed pay rise so that Unite can promise their other much larger branches in BA that they won't lose staff travel if they strike.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:52 pm
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp

What is not hypothetical question, is people who are happy to take any rise, or improvement that others have paid for, either through loss of salary through industrial action, or, even without any dispute taking place, the payment of union dues.
    More accurately, people who are inhibited from being able to negotiate any rise for themself based on their own merits, but are forced into whatever the union agrees - plus also have no say into what the union does nor vote on whether to accept or reject offerings
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    All 5500 are being denied an agreed pay rise so that Unite can promise their other much larger branches in BA that they won't lose staff travel if they strike.
    I suspect you are correct in that MF are just being used as pawns by Unite in a much larger game.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:22 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    And who do you think got them the better deal, the 1400 that have been on strike, the rest are just leaches?
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:25 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
    Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
    What I can't understand is if Unite couldn't get all of its members to support the strike then why are the striking staff surprised that non union members have no problem working as usual. I fear this strike is harming unite far more than BA.
    Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    And who do you think got them the better deal, the 1400 that have been on strike, the rest are just leaches?
    I'm not sure if I am perhaps misinterpreting your post, but are you suggesting those who haven't gone on strike are leaches?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.