Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
    Although - no hats anywhere to be seen - and the ladies on the first wing told me the MF crews who did come in wouldn't be wearing them.
    Hats spotted in PRG.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:25 am

Smile

It seems the only people who lose during the strikes are the crew turning up for work and forced to fly with minimum crew.

As the industrial action continues the hatred for management grows & spreads. With every strike the numbers turning up for work fall. I'm sure some BA believers & bus drivers will say all is well, this simply is not true.

Although the cancelations may be low, the additional costs & damage to the BA brand is a small win for the crew. :-:

I'm very happy passengers are being treated to superior product (QR) instead of being faced with cancellations. I know several crew who were rostered short haul that are now enjoying a well deserved strike holiday in the sun.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:31 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Agent.69
    It seems the only people who lose during the strikes are the crew turning up for work and forced to fly with minimum crew.

As the industrial action continues the hatred for management grows & spreads. With every strike the numbers turning up for work fall. I'm sure some BA believers & bus drivers will say all is well, this simply is not true.

Although the cancelations may be low, the additional costs & damage to the BA brand is a small win for the crew. :-:

I'm very happy passengers are being treated to superior product (QR) instead of being faced with cancellations. I know several crew who were rostered short haul that are now enjoying a well deserved strike holiday in the sun.
    What an odd way to introduce yourself to the forum, if indeed it is your first post.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:39 am
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
    Hats spotted in PRG.
    Which day, and for which flight?

I don't see how this is so hard for the forum to understand... but anyone who starts a duty before the strike (including nightstopping SH rotations) works as normal, including full crew compliments and to full uniform standards. Discretionary relaxation of rules begins with the strike and exclusively for crew starting their duties on strike days. So if the PRG flight was inbound to LHR and operated using a previous day's crew, this explains the hats.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    What an odd way to introduce yourself to the forum, if indeed it is your first post.
    What an odd response.

Hi guys I'm new here, first time caller long time listener...please don't be too hard on me

Was that more appropriate?
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    Originally Posted by brunos
    just had two MF flights (LH and SH). Not a single sign of any inconvenience. Why can't Unite understand that this is a lost cause?
    I guess that there is alot of internal power struggle within the union like in political parties such as Labor and Conservatives.
    Is it a lost cause, there are some people on here who have been downgraded when their PHL rotation has been cancelled. Other people have been downgraded on short haul flights. People flying QR will have a better aircraft which might prompt them to try QR directly. How much is this strike costing BA

The external impact might be negligible to some but the costs to BA won't be.

In a couple of weeks the main uk school holidays kick in. If you get someone affected in the May fiasco has their summer plans scuppered too I doubt that there will be many happy passengers.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
    Is it a lost cause, there are some people on here who have been downgraded when their PHL rotation has been cancelled. Other people have been downgraded on short haul flights. People flying QR will have a better aircraft which might prompt them to try QR directly. How much is this strike costing BA

The external impact might be negligible to some but the costs to BA won't be.

In a couple of weeks the main uk school holidays kick in. If you get someone affected in the May fiasco has their summer plans scuppered too I doubt that there will be many happy passengers.
    If BA was going to crumble on costs - it would have done so by now I think.

The fact it's gone through the hassle of getting the QR planes, getting the approval etc surely shows BA is going to keep going on this.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    Originally Posted by MPH1980
    If BA was going to crumble on costs - it would have done so by now I think.

The fact it's gone through the hassle of getting the QR planes, getting the approval etc surely shows BA is going to keep going on this.
    Sadly I don't think the costs are crippling but I don't think it's a negligible cost either. The fact that BA have asked for permission to wet lease for a couple of months speaks volumes.

Hopefully the odd cancellations and amalgamated flights will affect/disrupt passengers so that it starts to affect their loyalty. The ironic thing here is that the financial side has been resolved it's now reinstating lost perks,
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
    Apparently QR have sent 25 captains, 25 FO's, and 150 cabin crew to London who are being put up in a Heathrow hotel. Flight deck will stay for the duration but cabin crew will be rotated in and out.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
    Which day, and for which flight?

I don't see how this is so hard for the forum to understand... but anyone who starts a duty before the strike (including nightstopping SH rotations) works as normal, including full crew compliments and to full uniform standards. Discretionary relaxation of rules begins with the strike and exclusively for crew starting their duties on strike days. So if the PRG flight was inbound to LHR and operated using a previous day's crew, this explains the hats.
    BA 863, 2 Jul (just as I wrote it)
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:34 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
    Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
    Sadly I don't think the costs are crippling but I don't think it's a negligible cost either. The fact that BA have asked for permission to wet lease for a couple of months speaks volumes.

Hopefully the odd cancellations and amalgamated flights will affect/disrupt passengers so that it starts to affect their loyalty. The ironic thing here is that the financial side has been resolved it's now reinstating lost perks,
    I respectfully disagree.
    I don't see what volumes a wet lease speaks of. This is very common procedure at most airlines.
    And having a couple of daily flights disrupted is nothing more than business as usual. FT posters might be aware of the continuing industrial action, but I would bet that 90 or 95% of BA flyers are not. MF strikers are dreaming and live in a bubble around their mediocre union.
    Costs are never negligible, but the strike cash costs for BA are very small compared to revenues or to the present value (sum of discounted cash flows) of the costs of yielding to MF demands.

I can understand that MF strikers are frustrated, but if they do not understand by now that their impact is futile, they are poorly advised.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by brunos
    Costs are never negligible, but the strike cash costs for BA are very small compared to revenues or to the present value (sum of discounted cash flows) of the costs of yielding to MF demands.
    Well - hang on a second. The costs of yielding to the MF demands are no more than BA would have already costed in.

The pay section has *already* been agreed - so that costing is budgetted for. The argument now is about the reinstatement of perks for the staff that went on strike.

Those costs would have already been in BA's budget for this/next/onwards budget.

So, for BA, this is clearly all about principle.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
    If the QR crews and frames were laying fallow in Doha because of Qatar's gulf cancellations, any cost to BA may have been negligible as crew salaries etc would have been paid anyway.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
    Striking is a difficult business. Lots of individuals may feel aggrieved, but equally may feel that the strike action is not something they want to partake in.
    The creation of Mixed fleet has been of tremendous benefit to BA - driving down costs, increasing profitability and allowing new rotes to be launched. In many ways BA don't want the vast majority to remain on-board long term - they would prefer people towards the bottom end of the scale.
    The big problem for the Union is that mixed fleet are limited in number and the airline can carry on operations as normal with WW, EF and a little help from friends. Compare this to the previous summer action at WW, EF, Catering, etc. The airline was effectively grounded for days. That just doesn't happen anymore. Unless BA upset flight crew.....
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
    Originally Posted by Agent.69

Your first post speaks volumes, but possibly not in the way you may have intended. Hope you enjoy your break in the sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.