Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:28 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just saw QR 3251 fly past my house
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:04 am

It's interesting that this isn't triggering much of a public response. BA is literally importing a foreign workforce to bust a union. Surely, the whole episode must show the striking BA staff that their cause is hopeless.
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    deleted.

Last edited by Down Low; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:24 am
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by SJC AA
    Via Twitter, a bunch of QR A320s inbound to LHR (presumably with crews to substitute for striking workers).
    https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/sta...71196148752384
    I'm glad they didn't lease them from Lufthansa or a number of the older generation may have gone into a bit of a panic as the squadron flew overhead towards London...
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
    I'm glad they didn't lease them from Lufthansa or a number of the older generation may have gone into a bit of a panic as the squadron flew overhead towards London...
    My late father would have made sure the whole squadron didn't make it
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:52 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
    Programs: BAEC & VS.
    Latest on BA site :

We will operate 99.5 per cent of our schedule and have merged a very small number of Heathrow long-haul services with customers having been notified of their new flight details earlier in the week.

We expect to operate all short-haul flights to and from Heathrow, with our oneworld alliance partner Qatar Airways flying a small number of these services on our behalf.

We will be updating all of our operational systems with the details of which flights are being served by Qatar on a regular basis.

If you have a booking in the coming days and wish to check whether your flight is being operated by Qatar on our behalf then please check your unique Manage My Booking page.
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by Ber2dca
    It's interesting that this isn't triggering much of a public response. BA is literally importing a foreign workforce to bust a union. Surely, the whole episode must show the striking BA staff that their cause is hopeless.
    I'm not sure where the law sits on this one but would it be illegal for LHR ground staff to refuse to handle the QR aircraft?
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
    Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
    I'm not sure where the law sits on this one but would it be illegal for LHR ground staff to refuse to handle the QR aircraft?
    In simple terms, yes....
    Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
    So it is the first day of strike and I don't see a lot of flight cancellations!! It seems BA is in full control !
    Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
    Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
    So it is the first day of strike and I don't see a lot of flight cancellations!! It seems BA is in full control !
    Yes, but at presumably considerable expense, including through loss of business since the strike was announced.
    Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: ECH Gold
    Originally Posted by Dan72
    Yes, but at presumably considerable expense, including through loss of business since the strike was announced.

As a shareholder I wd be interested in how much expense this is costing?
    Not just the cancellations, but the leasing in of QR planes, the loss of revenue
    on board from selling in economy.
    Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:56 pm

I spoke to various BA staff members today. The ladies manning the first wing had to be prompted about the strike and then commented they'd barely noticed anything.

I had two mixed fleet based flights today - I understand the crew on my YYZ flight wasn't at full strength - but they delivered flawlessly.

Although - no hats anywhere to be seen - and the ladies on the first wing told me the MF crews who did come in wouldn't be wearing them.

Once again - regardless of the expense BA has engaged in to cover it up - the strike isn't having sufficient effect to result in publicity.

I hope BA do back down - but it's going to require the costs (that we can't see) to be high enough to cause a problem.
    Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
    Originally Posted by cuspidor
    Not just the cancellations, but the leasing in of QR planes, the loss of revenue
    You are a shareholder in a company where your largest fellow shareholder is the provider of the aircraft and crews so its not an easy equation! Not quite wooden dollars or riyals or whatever but you see what I mean?

If it was costing a significant sum IAG would have had to have made a stock market declaration - I haven't seen one.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:12 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
    just had two MF flights (LH and SH). Not a single sign of any inconvenience. Why can't Unite understand that this is a lost cause?
    I guess that there is alot of internal power struggle within the union like in political parties such as Labor and Conservatives.
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
    Originally Posted by cuspidor
    Having had clients where workforces have gone on strike, I would say that BA's approach is actually likely the superior long-term outcome from a shareholder point of view.

In a one-off strike scenario which has already been largely resolved, a corporate would probably be better off giving in on the remaining point on treatment of strikers vs non-strikers and re-establishing goodwill. However, BA isn't facing a one-off strike: it's operating in a low-margin industry and has a workforce that is prone to strikes and therefore does not have the luxury of being magnanimous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.