Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
    Your first post speaks volumes, but possibly not in the way you may have intended. Hope you enjoy your break in the sun.
    I wish I could, fortunately I have never been employed by BA.

Last edited by Agent.69; Jul 2, 2017 at 2:24 pm Reason: .
    Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    What an odd way to introduce yourself to the forum, if indeed it is your first post.
    While I respect your FT Status with 18 K + posts, I do not find anything odd in the opinions expressed by Agent.69 first post. After all he says he is a long time listener.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, BAEC
    Just checked in for our NCL - LHR leg and it's operated by Qatar.

Quite looking forward to see the inside of the plane as I've never flown on theirs before.

I can get a refund for the seats I booked that aren't available, can't i?

LL
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
    Day 3 and it look "ops normal" per ba.com. 23 flights left early in the first hour or so ex LHR. No cancellations. Its difficult to imagine where this goes next.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:01 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by HMPS
    While I respect your FT Status with 18 K + posts, I do not find anything odd in the opinions expressed by Agent.69 first post. After all he says he is a long time listener.
    It wasn't the opinion per se which was odd though, please read what I posted.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    deleted

Last edited by Down Low; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:23 am
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
    Originally Posted by BrianDromey
    Striking is a difficult business. Lots of individuals may feel aggrieved, but equally may feel that the strike action is not something they want to partake in.
    The creation of Mixed fleet has been of tremendous benefit to BA - driving down costs, increasing profitability and allowing new rotes to be launched. In many ways BA don't want the vast majority to remain on-board long term - they would prefer people towards the bottom end of the scale.
    The big problem for the Union is that mixed fleet are limited in number and the airline can carry on operations as normal with WW, EF and a little help from friends. Compare this to the previous summer action at WW, EF, Catering, etc. The airline was effectively grounded for days. That just doesn't happen anymore. Unless BA upset flight crew.....
    I'm surprised flight crew are not speaking up about the QR leases.. I mean the actions BA are doing now with MF may only be replicated when the next negotiations take place for their pay/conditions.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
    My MAN-LHR yesterday was covered by a MF crew. 4 in total, 2 of which were CSMs, with one "working down". No hats.

While transferring around LHR I did spy crew with hat boxes, but no worn hats.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:41 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by mjh0
    My MAN-LHR yesterday was covered by a MF crew. 4 in total, 2 of which were CSMs, with one "working down". No hats.

While transferring around LHR I did spy crew with hat boxes, but no worn hats.
    When you say covered by MF crew what do you mean? MAN is a MF route normally.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    When you say covered by MF crew what do you mean? MAN is a MF route normally.
    Wasn't subbed with a Eurofleet crew.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by ptr120
    Apparently QR have sent 25 captains, 25 FO's, and 150 cabin crew to London
    As a matter of interest, if it's just cabin crew who are in dispute what happens to the pilots who would have flown the flights that have been replaced by QR crew. Do they just get stood down with the potential to pick up lost hours on other routes later in the year?
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:30 pm

The general population is never going to support the strike as they cannot distinguish between the esoteric nature of BA crews and firmly believe that BA operates the only restaurant where the waitresses earn more than the customers.

I'm afraid mixed fleet have lost this unless most are leaving and few are joining.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
    Question: What's this obsession with hats? Is "hats" a codeword for something less silly???
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
    Question: What's this obsession with hats? Is "hats" a codeword for something less silly???
    Hats are, largely, the easiest way to identify MF crew as other crews dont use them on most services.

Although all crew were them on the 787 and A380 services.
    Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
    Originally Posted by ANstar
    I'm surprised flight crew are not speaking up about the QR leases.. I mean the actions BA are doing now with MF may only be replicated when the next negotiations take place for their pay/conditions.
    I believe BALPA raised an objection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.