Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    And who do you think got them the better deal, the 1400 that have been on strike, the rest are just leaches?
    I'd call the ones who did not strike intelligent. Go to work, get paid, keep their travel perks, while someone else 'fights' on your behalf - quite smart actually.

Reminds me of a similar time where some people in my firm were striking due to the loss of a final salary pension. I was recruited 1 year after the closure of the FSP, hence I had nothing to strike about. The strike did actually make the current pension agreements much stronger, hence I benefited (significantly) for not taking any action ^
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
    Is there on board service reduction

I'm sorry that this thread has become a debate about the merits of industrial action. Perhaps this should be conducted elsewhere and keep this thread clean to assist travellers.

I've tried to find latest reported information, but can' really establish whether there is any service reduction, i.e. Catering, rounds of drinks etc. It would be helpful if the mods could update the wiki with such information for each of the cabins (I'm particularly interested in long haul).
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:32 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by pennineuk
    I'm sorry that this thread has become a debate about the merits of industrial action. Perhaps this should be conducted elsewhere and keep this thread clean to assist travellers.

I've tried to find latest reported information, but can' really establish whether there is any service reduction, i.e. Catering, rounds of drinks etc. It would be helpful if the mods could update the wiki with such information for each of the cabins (I'm particularly interested in long haul).
    I've flown 4 BA sectors so far during the strike period 2 x CE and 2 x F and found there was no change whatever to the service on board. A colleague was in CW and the service there was also unaffected.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:41 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    But were these flights operated by MF or WW/EF crew?
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:48 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by pennineuk
    It would be helpful if the mods could update the wiki with such information for each of the cabins (I'm particularly interested in long haul).
    Wikis are not (just) for mods to update - they're a community effort that anyone with over 90 posts can amend. You'll actually find that the majority of wiki edits - not just in the BA forum but throughout FT - are not made by moderators.

Most members of the mod team here, in fact, probably don't travel anything like as much as many of the people who've contributed good information, so actually we likely know less about the position and are the people you should be relying on least!
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC silver
    CIHY you forget that 99% of passengers don't know and certainly don't care which fleet is staffing their plane. People flying WW or EF will come away thinking the strike is a futile waste of time as their flight was unaffected. I still strongly believe the airline would be crazy to reinstate travel perks to strikers.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:01 am

But were these flights operated by MF or WW/EF crew?
    CE was MF and F WW.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:10 am

And who do you think got them the better deal, the 1400 that have been on strike, the rest are just leaches?
    Is it a better deal though? Or just the exact same amount of money rebadged minus staff travel for strikers?
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: Meh
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    I've flown 4 BA sectors so far during the strike period 2 x CE and 2 x F and found there was no change whatever to the service on board. A colleague was in CW and the service there was also unaffected.
    Well you were lucky then. My reduced service experience for an expensive CW ticket has ensured this was BA's last hurrah until I see a new seat in CW.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:38 am
    Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by stevie
    Well you were lucky then. My reduced service experience for an expensive CW ticket has ensured this was BA's last hurrah until I see a new seat in CW.
    What was the nature of the service reduction? Sorry if you've already said upthread...
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:40 am

Going by the lack of rants on FT, it maybe that you were unlucky!
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Ziz
    What was the nature of the service reduction? Sorry if you've already said upthread...
    No drinks pre-meal, full meal all at once, no service thereafter, no snacks laid out during flight. When I went to the galley the crew told me this was reduced service, they basically did not appear the whole flight. This was to Seoul.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    Going by the lack of rants on FT, it maybe that you were unlucky!
    Perhaps, I wish I had your great luck with BA. I might fly them more.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:20 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    No drinks pre-meal, full meal all at once, no service thereafter, no snacks laid out during flight. When I went to the galley the crew told me this was reduced service, they basically did not appear the whole flight. This was to Seoul.
    What happened when you pressed your call bell to get some service?
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:40 am

Perhaps, I wish I had your great luck with BA. I might fly them more.
    I have to say, I had stellar crews again on those 4 sectors. I even had a nice tender, medium beef fillet on one of them. I have nothing I could complain about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.