Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:21 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
    No, the Mixed Fleet operated 777. BA458/459.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:22 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
    Programs: BAEC & VS.
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    All flights?
    No just the one operated by the Boeing 777 (BA458) as this is Mixed Fleet and I believe the other Madrid flights are not MF.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:32 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Correct, all other flights are operated by EF.
    I think if things carry on as they are you will see IB operating all MAD flights to save EF crew so that they can operate MF flights.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:39 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
    IB doesn't have that much spare capacity, they can make take up one flight a day.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    I am not sure that the rant about guns is worth replying to. Irrelevant and a weird comparison.

Outside State monopolies, all strikes are controlled by the employer. BA actually WANT this strike. I have no idea why.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:43 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
    So I asked BA yesterday when there were three confirmed cancellations on BA458 - it'll now be six in a row, yet they won't entertain moving us on Friday's flight whilst there's still time and space on other flights that day. Bonkers !
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:48 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA6501
    IB doesn't have that much spare capacity, they can make take up one flight a day.
    They could cancel or amalgamation flights, WW will do anything to make it look like BA are winning the flight.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:48 am

Are WW currently operating LHR-YYZ? Everything looks fine for the flight at the moment, which is tomorrow's 13:10.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Oh dear, not one MF crewmember left on standby!
    Wow. If that is true, there's going to be a load of flights cancelled between now and the end of the day and most customers will be at the airport. I'll watch with interest.
    If there are that many people striking and not turning up, how could BA possibly run the rest of their published schedule today?

Last edited by surryson; Jul 9, 2017 at 8:00 am
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:51 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
    Programs: BAEC & VS.
    Originally Posted by lavajava
    Are WW currently operating LHR-YYZ? Everything looks fine for the flight at the moment, which is tomorrow's 13:10.
    I think Toronto is Mixed Fleet - I was wondering if a crew shortage might be causing the delay on todays BA93 - delayed with an estimate of 17:00 for departure.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Bat 21
    I think Toronto is Mixed Fleet - I was wondering if a crew shortage might be causing the delay on todays BA93 - delayed with an estimate of 17:00 for departure.
    Thanks, yes sorry - I already knew this is a MF route but was wondering if it's planned to be operated by WW tomorrow given the shortage of MF.

Good to know about the delay. I have an ongoing connection on the same PNR to ORD and had also planned my GE interview for Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
    BA 195 LHR-IAH on 10th July (tomorrow) now cancelled.

Not happy :-( I've been rebooked in Y with AA and have to connect in CLT.

Tomorrow is my first day in my new job and I am supposed to be meeting my boss in Houston so he can brief me ready for our meetings/presentations the next day. I will now miss the briefing, and instead arrive late (and hungry) after being stuck on two flights in Y. I haven't travelled in Y for years and 12 hours of it prior to a really important meeting when I'm trying to make a good impression is the last thing I need. Damn you BA! That's the final straw for me. I just renewed my Gold (although was caught up in the IT mess so have a 2 year extension anyway) but this just confirms it's time to try Star Alliance.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:29 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's difficult to tell which fleet are currently serving each flight as EF, WW and LGW are currently operating MF flights, I know that LGW operated a YYZ yesterday.
    I would be prepared for cancellations and amalgamations on all flights.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
    I am not sure that the rant about guns is worth replying to. Irrelevant and a weird comparison.

Outside State monopolies, all strikes are controlled by the employer. BA actually WANT this strike. I have no idea why.
    "Rant" - brilliant - not sure a one line comparison can be called a rant. I'll buy that's it a weird analogy - but I think it works.

Let me try a different one - I buy some land and ask you to manage it for me when I rent it in return for a share of the rental income. When we go to rent it out - you say to me "I want a bigger share of the rent" I say "no" ... so we negotiate. We can't come to an agreement so you put a roadblock up to prevent me from renting the property out. In this scenario - according to you - you have no choice in the matter and it's all on me.

This makes no sense to me. You could just accept the original agreement.

So - I'd like to understand you position more clearly.

Unite and it's members could, tomorrow, back down and get back to work - just as BA could, tomorrow, back down and agree to everything Unite wants.

How, therefore, is the strike controlled exclusively by BA? In what way do Unite and it's members have no choice?

They may not *like* the choice - but, from my perspective, they have a choice and the strike is within their control as much as it is with BA's.
    Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    It's difficult to tell which fleet are currently serving each flight as EF, WW and LGW are currently operating MF flights, I know that LGW operated a YYZ yesterday.
    I would be prepared for cancellations and amalgamations on all flights.
    Isn't that costing BA a lot of cash? I thought the point of bringing MF was to cut payroll! If EF, WW and LGW are doing many MF flights, it's like MF never happened almost!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.