Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    If you are affected on that route then you would be rebooked - although based on previous strikes I don't think DUB had any cancellations. There are quite a few BA flights every day between DUB and LHR, and there are also a number of EI flights. There are lots of options for rebooking, and I suspect that in the worse case scenario you would be on a flight 1-2 hours before or after your original flight.
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    Welcome to the BA forum tspill. I wouldn't be too concerned on that route, though you will need to be within 3 days or so of departure to get firm news. As you indicate Aer Lingus will probably be able to take some business, though they use Terminal 2 at both LHR and DUB. Also the BACF services from DUB-LCY will continue too.
    Thanks Folks,

One more question. Who would do the rebooking?
    My flights were booked through Expedia and the my trans-atlantic flights are with Virgin. The BA flight is the first flight.
    Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:53 am

IAD-LHR-TLV?

Thanks for all the info here.

We are a family of tall people booked to fly premium economy IAD-LHR-TLV on July 1-2, then TLV-LHR on July 12, then LHR-IAD July 15. Great timing on this long awaited trip, right?

I see that IAD does not get mixed fleet service but TLV does. Is there any chance we will get stuck in London on the way to Israel, where we have already paid for lodging? Is the TLV flight busy and profitable enough to be likely to run no matter what? Should we start amputating limbs in expectation of being moved to regular economy seats? Any help or reassurance would be welcome. Thanks.
    Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by Familyvacay
    Thanks for all the info here.

We are a family of tall people booked to fly premium economy IAD-LHR-TLV on July 1-2, then TLV-LHR on July 12, then LHR-IAD July 15. Great timing on this long awaited trip, right?

I see that IAD does not get mixed fleet service but TLV does. Is there any chance we will get stuck in London on the way to Israel, where we have already paid for lodging? Is the TLV flight busy and profitable enough to be likely to run no matter what? Should we start amputating limbs in expectation of being moved to regular economy seats? Any help or reassurance would be welcome. Thanks.
    As far as I remember TLV was not affected during previous MF strikes but it's always hard to predict the future... I also travel on that route during the strike period so also hope for the best.
    Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:24 pm
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by tspill
    Thanks Folks,

One more question. Who would do the rebooking?
    My flights were booked through Expedia and the my trans-atlantic flights are with Virgin. The BA flight is the first flight.
    It is possible that the flights will simply operate. BA can only touch an Expedia booking 24 hours before departure, before that it's over to Expedia, and that typically will be painful. In your shoes I would probably keep an eye on the situation but simply approach BA within 24 hours of travel for a rebooking, or do it at the airport (though that's not the usual advice you will hear from BA). If BA cancels the flight 3 days beforehand then it would be Expedia's job to sort it, they are supposed to get in touch with you to deal with this. I wouldn't worry, there are heaps of flights and you won't be stranded somewhere.
    Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:27 pm
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by Familyvacay
    Is the TLV flight busy and profitable enough to be likely to run no matter what? Should we start amputating limbs in expectation of being moved to regular economy seats? Any help or reassurance would be welcome. Thanks.
    Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Familyvacay. It's good to see you here and I hope you will continue to active on Flyertalk.

I agree that BA will probably want to maintain the TLV services. There aren't many other options open to BA to rebook people, plus it's a lucrative service for connecting traffic, so I think you should be OK. Just keep an occasional eye on the situation.
    Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    It is possible that the flights will simply operate. BA can only touch an Expedia booking 24 hours before departure, before that it's over to Expedia, and that typically will be painful. In your shoes I would probably keep an eye on the situation but simply approach BA within 24 hours of travel for a rebooking, or do it at the airport (though that's not the usual advice you will hear from BA). If BA cancels the flight 3 days beforehand then it would be Expedia's job to sort it, they are supposed to get in touch with you to deal with this. I wouldn't worry, there are heaps of flights and you won't be stranded somewhere.
    Thanks
    Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:52 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
    Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
    Hi,

My mother and I are flying EDI-LHR-LAS on 10th July ( out in F) with the LHR-LAS flight on MF I understand but am not particularly worried at the moment and just keeping an eye out for any developments

Regards

TBS
    Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
    I am quite confused of what is the difference between mixed fleet staff and non mixed fleet staff and how this is going to affect the strike and the flights to be in strike?
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:02 am

TLV typically sells very well, particularly in summer.

Not sure which flights you're on, but on July 2, LHR-TLV is showing heavy loads, particularly in premium cabins. There's a bit more space on the return on July 12.

I would agree its relatively unlikely to see a cancellation on this route. However even were BA to consolidate services (perhaps cancel one the 321 rotation and put it onto the 777), I think you'd be likely to reach your destination with a relatively minimal delay. If you're on the morning 787 departure from LHR or the morning 777 departure from TLV, I think its extremely unlikely that you'd face a cancellation, given the significant number of connecting passengers.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by makin'miles
    TLV typically sells very well, particularly in summer.

Not sure which flights you're on, but on July 2, LHR-TLV is showing heavy loads, particularly in premium cabins. There's a bit more space on the return on July 12.

I would agree its relatively unlikely to see a cancellation on this route. However even were BA to consolidate services (perhaps cancel one the 321 rotation and put it onto the 777), I think you'd be likely to reach your destination with a relatively minimal delay. If you're on the morning 787 departure from LHR or the morning 777 departure from TLV, I think its extremely unlikely that you'd face a cancellation, given the significant number of connecting passengers.
    ^ That's exactly my fear; I'm on the 321 service on the 9th...
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:29 am
    Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    If you are affected on that route then you would be rebooked - although based on previous strikes I don't think DUB had any cancellations. There are quite a few BA flights every day between DUB and LHR, and there are also a number of EI flights. There are lots of options for rebooking, and I suspect that in the worse case scenario you would be on a flight 1-2 hours before or after your original flight.
    I don't think DUB was mixed fleet during the last strikes.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    But equally, what about if Unite was so sure of its ground that it actually won the case? That would equally be a deal-breaker, wouldn't it?

I'm not going to play the armchair lawyer, because frankly I have no idea which way it might go, but it does seem that if we got a legal determination that would end the strike one way or another - although my guess is that if the Union lost that might well lead to a mass exodus of MF crew which would cause BA far more damage in the short term because they'd struggle to operate until they could train replacements (if they could get them with the package on offer).

You're probably right about the bravado bit, but I'm just not sure it's totally one-sided. One side or other will blink before it gets to court, and my sense is that BA probably have a bit more to lose overall.
    we have been here before, the loss of these perks is not new and that time UNITE a did not manage to get a legal precedent set with a far more militantly and united workforce, I doubt they will do so this time. I suspect that the legal case is nowhere near as strong as some would like it to be.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    I'm sorry I wouldn't be so sure, we are now fully into our summer schedule with many more flights operating and all crew are working flat out, there are no spare crews available as there were during the past strikes.
    Many MF crew have now seen how BA treats their fleet with contempt and have been galvanised into supporting the industrial action.
    There are also less charter aircraft available at this time of the year.
    and yet the vote to continue with strike action was so much less decisive this time than last. Why do you believe it will be so well supported this time? Vocal union supporters do not make a well supported strike, it is the vast silent hordes that will decide that, they didn't vote in a big bloc to strike why would they strike as a big bloc when they didn't for the first well voted for strike actions.

I continue to to believe that MF have a deserving case but they still do not have the numbers or the support to make this strike action stick.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:52 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    we have been here before, the loss of these perks is not new and that time UNITE a did not manage to get a legal precedent set with a far more militantly and united workforce, I doubt they will do so this time. I suspect that the legal case is nowhere near as strong as some would like it to be.
    Help me out here, because I genuinely can't remember (and wasn't really even flying BA at the time, so it may not even have registered) - did Unite just threaten to go to court or did it actually get there, given in the end BA folded and gave the perks back to strikers?

Perhaps the union's thinking is that it worked last time so is a useful threat again - and I'd probably be doing the same in their boat. Is BA tougher this time and more determined to see this out? Maybe, given there's less disruption to their services compared to being in dispute with EF/WW so they can afford to be. It is a gamble from the union, but equally it's difficult to see how they win from here without doing it so they may feel there's little choice in the matter.
    Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    I continue to to believe that MF have a deserving case but they still do not have the numbers or the support to make this strike action stick.
    What an odd thing to say. So far there have been 3 ballots and all have been in favour of industrial action. This will be the ninth time they will take action, so it looks to me that it's most definitely sticking.

For what it's worth, this time I will have flights right in the middle of this action, but I still support the employees 100%. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.