Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:23 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Who cares what the public think it about causing as much disruption as possible.
    Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Who cares what the public think it about causing as much disruption as possible.
    And you don't think the deficit is a problem? As a customer, I could argue that the vast amount of money BA is paying into NAPS is the reason it has not invested in its product over the past 5 years. So not only is it a big liability to its financial security, but also has held the company back and will do going forward. I'm sure mixed fleet cabin crew for example wouldn't be in support of this - it will certainly cause a divide between the younger and older members of the company.

But anyway I'm getting off-topic.
    PJSMITH0 likes this.
    Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:35 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why wouldn’t MF crew support it, their pension fund is also closing and the better the deal NAPS member get the better it is for BARP members?
    Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jonas123
    And you don't think the deficit is a problem? As a customer, I could argue that the vast amount of money BA is paying into NAPS is the reason it has not invested in its product over the past 5 years. So not only is it a big liability to its financial security, but also has held the company back and will do going forward. I'm sure mixed fleet cabin crew for example wouldn't be in support of this - it will certainly cause a divide between the younger and older members of the company.

But anyway I'm getting off-topic.
    Fair point, but it's not guaranteed that vast amount of money BA invested into NAPS are going to be used for improvement in products. They might just consider it as part of their profit and split between the senior management, and still working on cutting the cost down i.e degrading the products rather than improving it.

As whether Mixed fleet going to support or not, there would definitely be a split between those that strike and those that didn't. The ones that strike saw and earned what they got they hard way, and they would see (and know) that the company would still find means to reduce their pay package and pensions in the future. So if Mixed fleet back them now, it would only make their life easier in the future.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:19 am

I can't imagine there will be much public support for industrial action over pensions, especially as i imagine pilots must be sitting on pots of gold.

The world has moved on and some things just aren't sustainable in their current form
    It's not a pilot centric issue - also that's a lovely comment, people are going to lose a huge proportion of what they were promised in retirement but that's okay because jonas123 thinks we should just move on and accept what the very well paid directors of a company making a 3 billion profit decide is good enough for us. Interesting. You'll forgive me if I really don't care what your I'll considered opinion and assumptions are.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:44 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    Just for a moment try thinking about how unimportant public support really is - this is not a public service, merely a plc.
    This is an interesting point, but perhaps airlines come closer to a less distinct line between public and private service in the eyes of many because they have the power to affect lives. In that way, front line employees may well be seen in the same light as those in jobs as diverse as health, refuse collection, fire-fighting and policing because of that ability to affect plans such as family holidays.

Strikes generally have a better chance of succeeding when there is clear public support behind them, because that puts pressure on the employer to appear to be doing the right thing, thus maintaining their image as a company the public would want to deal with (albeit this is just a part of the mix).

However, I'm not sure how this would translate into sympathy for Mixed Fleet staff if they decided to take action over the pension changes. I'd generally say that most employed in the private sector would shrug their shoulders and think "it's the same for me, but I'm getting on with my life". Yet the last strike hardly produced any publicity that was detrimental to BA and wrought support for MF, but in the end they still got something.

Sub-contracting in of services to cover MF strikes was relatively expensive for BA, but they knew there was an end to it whenever they wanted to really negotiate. When it became more advantageous to settle, they settled. The costs of maintaining the existing pension arrangements for a long period make the MF expenditure look totally insignificant, so BA will fight much harder on this. The chances of emerging with a decent deal, particularly when realistically any career move won't suddenly produce a better outcome given the private sector has pretty much exclusively moved away from the legacy pension arrangements still in place at BA, are going to be much smaller. The strikes over pay were painful enough for MF - is it really going to be sustainable or tolerable to fight over something which is much more important to BA?
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: GGL
    It's not a pilot centric issue - also that's a lovely comment, people are going to lose a huge proportion of what they were promised in retirement but that's okay because jonas123 thinks we should just move on and accept what the very well paid directors of a company making a 3 billion profit decide is good enough for us. Interesting. You'll forgive me if I really don't care what your I'll considered opinion and assumptions are.
    It is possible for different perspectives to be valid at the same time when viewed from their respective vantage points, expressing one isn't necessarily an attack or criticism on those with an alternative aspect. I'm sure most spectators here understand that this is different for those on the pitch, and don't deny the validity of your view point nor your right to act to protect your position. But there are other perspectives.

I find the most interesting aspect is that they are choosing to move on this; they must have a game plan, I wonder what it is...
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:34 am

Were they promised it (contractually?) Over the past two years at least, BA paid out far money cash to cover the pension deficit than to shareholders. Doesn't feel that sustainable to me.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:04 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps they shouldn't have taken a payment holiday then?
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    Sorry, cihy, but the payment holiday was forced on them by Gordon Brown. No choice in the matter. What they were told then was the usual Govt BS about pensions.
    No one outside the Civil Service thought it was a good idea. The Civil Service, of course, kept and still keep their Gold plated arrangements. Large Corporates did it as well as mid-size ones like BA.

As to "pension promises" most of the Private sector have broken them in the last few years. No one likes it.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:31 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
    . The Civil Service, of course, kept and still keep their Gold plated arrangements. L

You obviously have no idea about civil service pensions.

They are in no way shape or form 'gold plated' but it suits some to keep spouting that meme.

Benefits have been reduced and contributions increased over many years.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    UKtravelbear,

I wish I was in the range of 50 to 65 in the SCS. They are not gold plated, they are solid gold. My last 2 corp jobs were a weak DC and a very large Nothing.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:25 pm

Sorry, cihy, but the payment holiday was forced on them by Gordon Brown. No choice in the matter.
    Not true; there was no coercion of companies to take contribution holidays.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Blue
    UKtravelbear,

I wish I was in the range of 50 to 65 in the SCS. They are not gold plated, they are solid gold. My last 2 corp jobs were a weak DC and a very large Nothing.
    And what proportion of CS pensions are paid to those in the SCS? A very very low percentage. Maybe you had better stop reading the DM
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:28 pm

Were they promised it (contractually?) Over the past two years at least, BA paid out far money cash to cover the pension deficit than to shareholders. Doesn't feel that sustainable to me.
    BA are on track to make a 21% operating margin. Seems reasonable to pay what you promised. Even if they did close it, the opportunistic valuation and cash grab of making it into a not final salary pension is sufficient to cause anger enough to warrant IA. Of course weasel wording of "were the promised it contractually" basically sums up all that is wrong with the modern business world. Management trying to screw employees while feathering their own nests. What justification for ANY business man to earn more that the PM? To argue they have more responsibility is self serving at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.