Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Benzpro2
Purchased two AA GC's on 1/24, still no reimbursement as of 2/4. I had AA designated last year and it worked fine. Set it up as AA again this year. Any thoughts?
Still no reimbursement. I thought that these were via calendar year and not cardmember year. Last year's reimbursement ($100 x2) was July, 2017. Not sure why I have not been reimbursed yet. Coded as travel and not misc. I did the exact same procedure as last year. The only thing I can think of is re-designating my airline and then purchasing on the same day messed things up.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ccd
Do you have more info on this waiting period? I selected AA and purchased $50 vGC on the same day (Jan 31st). Haven't seen any reimbursement.
I have been told to wait at least a couple business days after selecting your airline choice before making the gift card purchases. If you still have not been reimbursed after a month of waiting, I would try again and purchase them in $100 or smaller increments now, and it should be reimbursed. There's no money "lost" since these gift cards never expire, AA flies all over the world, and you can use eight gift cards per transaction.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Amex Aspire Data Point:

Selected AA as preferred airline via telephone 2/24
Purchased $100 vGC, sale posted 2/25, reimbursed 2/27
Purchased $100 and $50 vGC in separate transactions, sales posted 2/28, reimbursed 3/2

Transactions each posted as: Travel - Airline

Last edited by George M; Mar 3, 2018 at 3:43 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
$100 giftcard purchased with link in Wiki 3/2. Reimbursed 3/4.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: free agent
Got Aspire few days ago, and already select AA on 3/4. Probably wait 1-2 days later to buy gift cards, but wondering if purchases will count toward minimum spending requirement?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Got Aspire few days ago, and already select AA on 3/4. Probably wait 1-2 days later to buy gift cards, but wondering if purchases will count toward minimum spending requirement?
You'll probably get conflicting responses with this question; in my experience, yes - those purchases will count toward the minimum spend requirement with AMEX cards. (Disclaimer: I do not specifically have the Aspire card.)
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
Originally Posted by washeelers747
In my case, it did count. I had about $3,850 payment, and then I purchased $175 eGC and my 100k has been posted on Amex website as well as HH website.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Quick data point. I did two separate $100 GCs from AA in Feb on my Plat each statement credit posted two days after the GCs posted.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:10 am

I've to cancel award ticket and pay $200 to deposit miles back to my account. any idea on if that gets reimbursed?
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Interesting data point. I purchased my 2x$100 back in January (a few pages back) and used them for a booking Thursday night. On Friday, within the 24 hours cancellation window, I had to cancel the booking. I did so over the phone and I asked "How long will it take before my GCs are reloaded?" The CSR put me on a brief hold and came back with the answer "We will be refunding you that $200 by a check in the mail, which will take 2-3 weeks."

So, not cool they get my money for almost a month, but I accidentally managed to cash out my Platinum benefit! YMMV, I was willing to keep them as GC (I'll fly AA again), it wasn't a suggestion of mine or anything. But neat if she was right!
budumpst likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: American, United
Is it worth using the $200 towards $206 for a mileage multiplier for 6000 miles?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:57 pm

That's just buying miles at 3.4 cpp.

Do you get more than 3.4 cpp out of your redemptions?

[you may use a different cost basis if you were planning on selling your gift cards, but the point remains]
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: American, United
Originally Posted by zhangg
That's just buying miles at 3.4 cpp.
Not really, it's using $200 in credit that is worth less than $200 to me since I don't really want AA gift cards and don't have anticipated fees coming up. And I have no desire to either sell or give gift cards.

Originally Posted by zhangg
Do you get more than 3.4 cpp out of your redemptions?
I would say yes. Redemption is always for business class tickets to/from Europe. Sometimes milesaver sometimes anytime tickets. Of course if I can turn current anytime tickets into milesaver tickets I'll have a fee for that that would be perfect for the $200 credit, so I'll at least wait until week before September trip to do anything...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
HH Aspire Card

2/27 $100 eGC
3/1 Amex Airline Fee Reimbursement (Category: Travel - Airline)
3/5 $75 eGC
3/8 Amex Airline Fee Reimbursement (Category: Travel - Airline)
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by srallen
Not really, it's using $200 in credit that is worth less than $200 to me since I don't really want AA gift cards and don't have anticipated fees coming up. And I have no desire to either sell or give gift cards.

I would say yes. Redemption is always for business class tickets to/from Europe. Sometimes milesaver sometimes anytime tickets. Of course if I can turn current anytime tickets into milesaver tickets I'll have a fee for that that would be perfect for the $200 credit, so I'll at least wait until week before September trip to do anything...
O_O

You know you can use the gift card to pay for the award taxes/fees? IF ANYTHING, just buy AA miles directly. Miles multipliers is the worst scam. Remember its not $200 "Free" you are paying $550 for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.