Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:57 pm

Booked 2 domestic award tickets on Dec 4th. Received credit for $11.20 on Dec 10th.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Any ideas on what the best way to use my AMEX credits if I'm not an AA elite and have no upcoming paid or award travel on AA or am I out of luck?

I was going to buy 500-mile upgrades since they never expire and can use them when I become an elite again but I just found out that only elites are eligible to purchase 500-mi upgrades.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by EricUSC
Any ideas on what the best way to use my AMEX credits if I'm not an AA elite and have no upcoming paid or award travel on AA or am I out of luck?
Change your designated airline to one with more reimbursement options (Southwest, Jet Blue, etc).
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Change your designated airline to one with more reimbursement options (Southwest, Jet Blue, etc).
Buy that’s too late for the 2019 credit right? You can only change in January. I still think i’m out of lunch this year. Correct?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by EricUSC

I was going to buy 500-mile upgrades since they never expire and can use them when I become an elite again but I just found out that only elites are eligible to purchase 500-mi upgrades.
Book a future flight that has a 24 free cancelation, purchase miles via the Mileage Multiplier, and then cancel the flight. The mileage purchase will stick, and there are multiple data points about it being reimbursed. It is poor value (you are paying over 3 cents per mile), but better than nothing.

Also, AAdmirals Club membership or one day passes might be an option, but if you don't have any AA travel planned, that probably is not useful for you.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
$81 for mileage multiplier (2500 miles) hit on 12/22, reimbursed on 12/26. Wouldn't have gotten it but was trying to use up the $250. MCE purchased for $77 on 12/15 still not reimbursed but chat representative said it would be manually overridden and counted against 2019 balance; wonder how reliable that is! One would think that the MCE (a seat selection fee) is more within the spirit of the fee reimbursement than mileage multiplier (buying miles), but oh well. Going to have some money left over and don't know what to spend it on; wish they sold Admirals Club passes online. Should have asked at the ticket counter or something.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Do WN gift cards still work with Amex? Otherwise I'd never generate any fees with them outside of an occasional drink or Wifi purchase.

Alas, no WN lounge passes to buy...
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Do WN gift cards still work with Amex?
No, but there is a workaround:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...west-only.html
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by kklems
New to the Amex credit. Just upgraded my Hilton card and realized i could likely double dip. No flights led this year. I have a trip on AA in February. I have no status on American but my wife is gold. Could I buy 500 mile upgrades on her account? If not I pay to upgrade our flight to F for one segment and trigger the credit? Just don't want to screw something up and don't want to select AA until I am sure. Per wiki it looks the 500 mile segments work but wondered if the name would matter. (Same last name and same address). But was sure if the upgrade would work as I thought paid upgrades didn't count
Amex doesn't care about the name for anything so 500-mile upgrades should work. Haven't tried myself.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:44 am

I still had most of my $200 AmEx Plat credit remaining, so went to the AA website and purchased a mileage multiplier for an upcoming trip for ~$130. I know it's not a great value, but had the credit to spend. I also purchased separately a 500 mile upgrade for $40. Got a credit for both purchases ~3 days after they posted. Also got the 5x points for purchasing directly from AA.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:33 am

Booked AA award tickets Dec. 26. Seat selection fees (purchased separately) reimbursed on Dec. 29, but the $5.60 award ticket fees were not.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by LuizMiranda
Purchased 500-mile upgrade certs in mid-Dec 2018 at the airport kiosk and got an AMEX credit a couple of days later. I didn't even expect it but I supposed this is another way to use it as it is indeed a fee. Of course I didn't clear the upgrade window (because does anyone ever nowadays?) but that's another story.
Hi there - Would you be able to confirm what the charge posted as? I am currently waiting on 5 upgrades ($200) to be reimbursed, but I did it through the AA app and not at check-in. It posted to my CC as "AMERICAN AIRLINES 800-433-7300 TX", wondering if your successful reimbursement posted as the same?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by needtoescape
Book a future flight that has a 24 free cancelation, purchase miles via the Mileage Multiplier, and then cancel the flight. The mileage purchase will stick, and there are multiple data points about it being reimbursed. It is poor value (you are paying over 3 cents per mile), but better than nothing.

Also, AAdmirals Club membership or one day passes might be an option, but if you don't have any AA travel planned, that probably is not useful for you.
You can't buy those online, FYI.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Purchased main cabin extra seats for 3 on Dec 25. Reimbursed on Dec 28 (dated Dec 27).

Award tax of $5.60 x 4 charged on Dec 24. Not reimbursed. Not expecting to be reimbursed either from past DPs so this is okay with me.

Biz Platinum.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Purchased a second $81 Mileage Multiplier on a separate reservation to use up funds before the end of the year; billed 12/27 and reimbursed 12/30. Chatted on 12/30 with AMEX about the $77 MCE that did not automatically credit from 12/15 and they nearly instantly agreed to credit it (as an agent said it would be best to do before year-end as that was more than 14 days after so it was after the time it "should" have happened and this would avoid problems with it possibly going against 2020 credit, which I may want to change to Delta), and today the meter decreased by that amount. I have $11 left and nothing to spend it on; hate to waste it but didn't plan well. At this point having gotten $239 back in the airline reimbursement and $250 in the resort credit plus some actual benefits at hotels "because you are a Diamond member" carrying the Aspire card, I will let the $11 go. :P Will be more careful in 2020 to spend the WHOLE airline fee waiver!

Last edited by UAzip; Dec 31, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.