Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mm93991
Got a new Schwab Amex Plat in May....I'm very familar w the AA gift card /Amex deal from other Amex cards. I screwed up and assumed AA gift card was still working so I selected AA as my incidental reimbursement airline of choice (didn't check forums). Bought one $100 virtual AA card Jun 11 and (after catching up on FT and Reddit forums) am expecting not to get credited....Interesting data point, however... my "counter" inside the Amex benefits portal says I've used $100 of my $200 incidental credits and the very nice Amex CSR says the $100 credit is pending and should show up soon??? Not sure if this is unique to the Schwab version of the Amex Plat or a brand new development on the way AA gift cards are posted. FYI the transaction posted (not in pending any more) as "Additional Information: 20190612 AA.COM". It does not say "gift card" anywhere on the description of the transaction and actually has an AA ticket # assigned to the transaction. I'll follow up again if the $100 incidental credit actually does credit successfully....obviously, I still have my doubts.
Happy to report that earlier this morning (Jun 15) both my Saks $50 credit & my $100 AA credit appeared at essentially the same time! The Saks purchase was executed Jun 12 while the AA gift card purchase was executed Jun 11. The credits seem to indicate (see screen grab belowbelow) that they posted on Jun 14 but neither were visible to me until early Jun 15th on either the Amex desktop site or the Amex mobile app. For those that have asked above, I went to the same desktop website I've used in previous years to buy the virtual AA gift card https://giftcards.aa.com/. I will now purchase another $100 AA gift card to see if I can grab the remaining of my $200 annual incidental credit. I'll report back when this 2nd purchase posts.

Statman, miles4CDG, Denro and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UR and MR
Wow that is good to hear. thanks for updating
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay
June 11 - Purchased $100 virtual gift card using Personal Amex Gold

I'm thinking I may be SOL, because the pending transaction shows a Tulsa, OK address:
AA ARC
7645 E 63RD ST STE 600
AMERICAN AIRLINES-CCS
TULSA
OK 74133-1249
www.aa.com
When I previously received the credit, it was a Fort Worth, TX address, similar to the address in the Reddit link. But I will come back and updates folks nonetheless. In the past, the credit posted within 2 business days.

Everyone cross your fingers and toes
Success! Credit received on June 14 on my Personal Gold. Gonna do Platinum next, not gonna risk it disappearing again. Hallelujah
George M likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone get the credit for a GC valued more than $100 since it started working again?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Anyone get the credit for a GC valued more than $100 since it started working again?
The original DP on reddit was for 150.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Saturn
The original DP on reddit was for 150.
Hmm I have a plat $200 credit. Wondering if I should just go all in.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red259
Hmm I have a plat $200 credit. Wondering if I should just go all in.
With all the bloggers now putting this out there, you might want to go all in. I would be surprised if this lasts.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
I would be surprised if this lasts.
I've never understood this thought process. It's worked for years. The airlines it's stopped working for were Alaska, which changed their coding of GC sales; United which straight up stopped selling GCs.

If Amex wanted to stop reimbursing GCs, the could and would.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:20 pm

I just took the $100 plunge for my AMEX PRG. The pending charge is the Tulsa address that others reported. I'll report back.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:38 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Denro
I just took the $100 plunge for my AMEX PRG. The pending charge is the Tulsa address that others reported. I'll report back.
I did the same on a Schwab Platinum
Denro likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by abk
I did the same on a Schwab Platinum
Anyone have recent success with Hilton Aspire AMEX??
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Working on Amex Platinum?

Also, do we still have to use a desktop or can I use my mobile device?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I've never understood this thought process. It's worked for years.
What? Simple logic? It did work for a long time. Then it didn't . . . for the better part of a year. Recently it started working since something changed with the coding of gift cards. AMEX terms state gift cards do not count. Bloggers are rubbing AMEX's nose in this. And somehow you think it will last? I can't understand THAT though process. Hope if lasts, but bet it won't.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:51 pm

Not looking good.

I tried June 14th for $100, it posted with the "GIFT CERTIFICATE" language on it. Sigh...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I also did a test for $50 on the 14th on a Hilton Apsire, hasn't posted yet. On the pending charge it has the Tulsa address. Had switched my Platinum over to WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.