Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone know if choosing an exit row seat/main cabin extra and paying the $36 for seat selection is reimburseable?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by terpzone
Anyone know....
This 2017 POST is very helpful, provided AA has not broadly changed its transaction coding.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
thanks... that's enough for me to risk it for the small fee
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by saunders111
Hi there,
It's been more than five business days since your post. Could you please let us know if the credit for your gift card purchase on February 8 posts or not? If it has or does, that will be the only report of credit posting for GCs purchased after February 6, of any denomination, I believe.

Thanks very much,
saunders111
Yes, the $50 credit posted like the agent said. Not a surefire method for reimbursing GCs, but worth a shot.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jbb93
Yes, the $50 credit posted like the agent said. Not a surefire method for reimbursing GCs, but worth a shot.
Sweet! Time to buy some lottery tix!

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:36 pm

Just realized they don’t credit AA GCs after a week with no credit. I’ve been doing this for years that I stopped checking if it still works until it didn’t. After reading suggestions, i was just able to change my airline from AA to DL via Live Chat online with no issues. Just letting everyone know!
Thunderroad and chapmanj9 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I booked a basic economy ticket and now want to change it to main cabin and wanted to know if the fee will be reimbursed. Been out of the travel game a while and all these changes is making my head spin. A response noted in post 270 seem to indicate it will be reimbursed, but again the new terms have me all confused.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
500-mile upgrades do work
chrisny2, GTITAN and julian926 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jamflyer
I booked a basic economy ticket and now want to change it to main cabin and wanted to know if the fee will be reimbursed. Been out of the travel game a while and all these changes is making my head spin. A response noted in post 270 seem to indicate it will be reimbursed, but again the new terms have me all confused.
It should be reimbursed as a "seat selection fee", which is how you would characterize the charge if you had to call AMEX in the event it doesn't auto-credit for you.

That only seems to work if the seat is in the same cabin as the seat that was originally purchased; paying to move to J, for example, is considered an upgrade and is thus ineligible.
jamflyer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by jcarlo
Just realized they don’t credit AA GCs after a week with no credit. I’ve been doing this for years that I stopped checking if it still works until it didn’t. After reading suggestions, i was just able to change my airline from AA to DL via Live Chat online with no issues. Just letting everyone know!
Did you use any of the yearly credit before you requested this change?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:05 am

Mar 27, 2019 booked flight with AA, used $100 gc and charged $18.30 balance to the card. posted on account (code description is Travel-Airline)
Mar 29, 2019 Amex airline fee reimbursement posted -$18.30

Mar 30, 2019 booked another flight with AA, used $100 gc and charged $60.30 balance to the card. posted on account (code description is Travel-Airline)
As of this post, still no Amex airline fee reimbursement for the mar 30 flight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:13 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by grump
Mar 27, 2019 booked flight with AA, used $100 gc and charged $18.30 balance to the card. posted on account (code description is Travel-Airline)
Mar 29, 2019 Amex airline fee reimbursement posted -$18.30

Mar 30, 2019 booked another flight with AA, used $100 gc and charged $60.30 balance to the card. posted on account (code description is Travel-Airline)
As of this post, still no Amex airline fee reimbursement for the mar 30 flight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
interested to see what happens
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by abk
interested to see what happens
will update as soon as i know, not holding my breath though
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by grump
will update as soon as i know, not holding my breath though
has anybody had success getting reimbursed for baggage fees not on the list of amex list of airlines?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ijones027
has anybody had success getting reimbursed for baggage fees not on the list of amex list of airlines?
unless your talking foreign airline marketed but USA airline operated (where a US airline collects the fee) then highly doubtful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.