Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by QtownDave
My home airport is PHL and I only fly AA or partner only so no switching for me.
You could always sell the Delta eGift cards. But you don't list status so maybe you can make use of the $200 fee using genuine incidentals?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gig103
You could always sell the Delta eGift cards. But you don't list status so maybe you can make use of the $200 fee using genuine incidentals?
I know and since I usually fly up front without much more opportunity to spend more I will think about it next year.

Not so much to sell but maybe just bank GCards for 10 years for a flight somewhere simple, assuming they don't expire.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by QtownDave
I know and since I usually fly up front without much more opportunity to spend more I will think about it next year.

Not so much to sell but maybe just bank GCards for 10 years for a flight somewhere simple, assuming they don't expire.
Delta GCs do not expire but you are limited to three per transaction, and the AX reimbursement is only $50 per card. You might want to check out the other thread so I don't continue to derail this one
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-dl-only.html
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended

Delta GCs do not expire but you are limited to three per transaction, and the AX reimbursement is only $50 per card. You might want to check out the other thread so I don't continue to derail this one
Ugh. Thanks. No need to know more since that's more than enough to stop me from changing.

And it's no derailment since I'm sure other AA flyer looking for options are in the same pickle.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Member

Has anyone tried mileage reinstatement fees. Have a friend who let miles expire and it would cost $250 to reinstate. Could be a good way to use the credit. Thoughts?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by golfingboy
So with AA gift cards no longer working with AMEX reimbursement what are the other real alternatives for EXP/CK customers that nearly exclusively flies AA?
I didn't expect it, but I just received a credit for $175 copay on a mileage upgrade (on AA LAX-JFK). Upgrades are supposedly excluded according to the wiki, but maybe co-pays are not? If so, then they are a very good option going forward.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Upgrades are excluded by American Express' terms, but their system may not be able to reliably distinguish an upgrade charge from other types of fees. What description appears on the transaction?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
Upgrades are excluded by American Express' terms, but their system may not be able to reliably distinguish an upgrade charge from other types of fees. What description appears on the transaction?
"Miscellaneous taxes / Fees" – which would explain the credit probably.
mia, Thunderroad and golfingboy like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually it is only limited to 3 if used online.

Call in to ticket you can use a lot more. Do some reading on the related thread and even this thread, actual DPs have been posted. (and that is how I learned about it.).
Thunderroad and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
DP: Tried a small mileage multiplier this month (under $25 each way so under $50 total round trip) and was reimbursed. Not a great value, but better than nothing. Have one card on AA and one on DL.
mia and akr1970akr like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:35 pm

AA partner airlines

Sorry if this is answered already, but I couldn't find it if so. If I buy a ticket from British Air, but the flight is operated by AA, will I get credit for bag fees paid at the airport?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jason Albritton
Sorry if this is answered already, but I couldn't find it if so. If I buy a ticket from British Air, but the flight is operated by AA, will I get credit for bag fees paid at the airport?
If AA is the one charging the fee I don't see why you wouldn't be able to claim reimbursement.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:43 pm

I did a search on this thread and a post on Jun 2018 said BoA Premium Rewards VISA worked for $100 eGift Certificate. Any info if it still works or if the change in merchant coding affected BoA as well as AmEx.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So it's not all clear whether any of this is intentional.
Right, we just don't know what happened. All are plausible:

1) Mere IT happenstance -- the change of coding for gift cards has nothing to do with Amex, and AA never thought about Amex statement credits with the change.
2) AA had some reason of its own for changing the coding, and it relates to the deal with Amex.
3) AA did this because Amex is pushing AA (and possibly other airlines) to close the gift card loophole we've all enjoyed exploiting.

Of course, 3) would be a bummer for us travel geeks. So far, at least, this seems to be limited to AA.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jbb93
DP: purchased a $50 AA gift card on Feb 8 that coded as gift card and didn't trigger reimbursement. Asked about it over chat, the agent didn't ask any questions but told me that he had initiated a reimbursement and I would see the credit in 5 business days (we'll see if that actually substantiates). I didn't have to claim it was some other fee, just asked about 'an AA charge from Feb 8 that I expected an airline reimbursement from', or something along those lines.

Good luck to others who try this!
Hi there,
It's been more than five business days since your post. Could you please let us know if the credit for your gift card purchase on February 8 posts or not? If it has or does, that will be the only report of credit posting for GCs purchased after February 6, of any denomination, I believe.

Thanks very much,
saunders111

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.