Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Chatted with Amex regarding my purchases on 1/31. Asked them about these charges that are usually reimbursed within 2-3 days (didn't say these were for GCs, obviously) and their answer was generic (as I expected): that it usually takes 2-4 weeks to receive them back.

I give up. Will buy another $100 using my Gold and if that works will do the same with Plat and again with Aspire.
James Fleming likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Javier1704
I give up......
Why not just wait four weeks?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mia
Why not just wait four weeks?
That's another option! I'd just like to be done with this credit for the year.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:22 pm

I have a PRG and purchased a $50 AA gift card on 2/8(posted 2/9 and currently no reimbursement) and am seeing under the transaction details "Document Type: GIFT CERTIFICATE." I checked last years charge for the same thing and the Document Type was Misc Fees/Taxes. I know it can take a few days/weeks to post but the fact that this specific data is transmitted to AMEX has me worried.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by comer3314
I have a PRG and purchased a $50 AA gift card on 2/8(posted 2/9 and currently no reimbursement) and am seeing under the transaction details "Document Type: GIFT CERTIFICATE." I checked last years charge for the same thing and the Document Type was Misc Fees/Taxes. I know it can take a few days/weeks to post but the fact that this specific data is transmitted to AMEX has me worried.
Did you purchase an E gift card?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by whatonearth
Did you purchase an E gift card?
Yes. Should I try physical?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by comer3314
Yes. Should I try physical?
No. I was just trying to identify a cause for your transaction details.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on. Are there any reports of previously reimbursed purchases where the Document Type is Gift Certificate?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:15 pm

My most recent purchase also coded as Document Type Gift Certificate, I purchased on 2/9. All of my previous reimbursed ones this year so far were Misc Fees/Taxes. I did do a $200 gift card since I did it 3 times already this year no problem. Guess I'll wait and see if Amex reimburses it.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:24 pm

This sounds like the end of AA GCs reimbursements.
dw likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Javier1704
This sounds like the end of AA GCs reimbursements.
I'm going to be pissed if this is the case. I just selected AA on a brand new plat card that arrived today. Wouldn't surprise me the way bloggers blast all over the place about gift cards.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:39 am
Suspended

Must be something new. Here is my recent:

Jan 21 - Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm going to be pissed if this is the case. I just selected AA on a brand new plat card that arrived today. Wouldn't surprise me the way bloggers blast all over the place about gift cards.
In all fairness to the bloggers....don't you think AMEX knows about this thread and all the other ones for specific airlines? I would be upset if the option goes away but I hardly would blame the bloggers.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by christianj
In all fairness to the bloggers....don't you think AMEX knows about this thread and all the other ones for specific airlines? I would be upset if the option goes away but I hardly would blame the bloggers.
Personally, I would blame the bloggers and The Points Guy (which I hate for their stupidly high and unrealistic valuations). Most people here play the system but don’t abuse it. Go to Reddit and see r/churning... most people arrive there because of TPG.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:20 am
Suspended

As said, getting a credit for GC purchases is by definition abusing the system. I too do hope it doesn’t go away but to blame anyone is sort of silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.