Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by christianj
In all fairness to the bloggers....don't you think AMEX knows about this thread and all the other ones for specific airlines? I would be upset if the option goes away but I hardly would blame the bloggers.
Of course Amex knows about this. They knew about it all along. Amex doesn't bother dealing with an issue like this when its a relatively small group of people, but when you get a bunch of bloggers writing about it over and over again in December an January suddenly its not a small group and amex is losing money so they react. Its pretty clear that if this occured it was likely because of the extreme amount of attention bloggers brought to this, because it drastically increased the number of people doing it which increased the cost to amex which may have gotten them to act.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by comer3314
....transaction details "Document Type: GIFT CERTIFICATE." I checked last years charge for the same thing and the Document Type was Misc Fees/Taxes.
Originally Posted by Creditzzz
My most recent purchase also coded as Document Type Gift Certificate, I purchased on 2/9. All of my previous reimbursed ones this year so far were Misc Fees/Taxes......
Originally Posted by Javier1704
This sounds like the end of AA GCs reimbursements.
Be patient. American Airlines has changed the coding of gift card purchases before, but the problem worked itself out:

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
.... In 2016, I purchased GCs from aa.com using this card on multiple occasions. In early 2016, they coded the standard, non-descript way on the card account. In April, they coded explicitly as a GC (same $ amount, by the way). By Fall, it was back to a generic code. So I would not give up entirely here.[/LIST]
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UR, MR, LM
Originally Posted by Javier1704

Personally, I would blame the bloggers and The Points Guy (which I hate for their stupidly high and unrealistic valuations). Most people here play the system but don’t abuse it. Go to Reddit and see r/churning... most people arrive there because of TPG.
I got there from r/wallstreetbets. You merely adopted degenerate gambling. I was born in it, molded by it.

And here I was thinking that I should get my Plat reimbursement done and out of the way early this year. Guess I just need to hurry up and wait again...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:43 pm

Does anyone have the FNBO Travelite Amex card and tested AA gift cards?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jlai777
Does anyone have the FNBO Travelite Amex card and tested AA gift cards?
Read recent posts in this thread:

First National Bank of Omaha TravElite card - refreshed April 2017.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Sil, AA Gld, WN A-List, HH Gld, Bonvoy Gld, Nat'l Exec
Cool 500-mile upgrade purchase: AMEX Platinum statement credit?

Hello all-

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if I can purchase 5 500-mile upgrades for $200 on my American Express Platinum card and receive my $200 statement credit. The official policy says that it doesn't apply to upgrades, but I know it comes down to how the airline codes it. Has anyone had any success with this in the past?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:17 pm

I bought a $100 AA GC using my Amex gold on 2/4, it was reimbursed on 2/8.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by gbc9174
I bought a $100 AA GC using my Amex gold on 2/4, it was reimbursed on 2/8.
What was the document type listed on your online Amex account?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Bought two $100 gift cards on Jan 28-reimbursed on Feb 1. Coded as Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mh4ll

What was the document type listed on your online Amex account?
Miscellaneous. I didn't have the new Gift certificate description..
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:31 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let’s move this over to the American Express forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:04 pm

Purchased (2) $100 AA gift cards with personal AMEX Plat on 2/8/19. Unfortunately, coded as "Gift Certificate". No reimbursement as of 2/12/19. Will update you in a few days but I'm pretty confident this trick may be coming to an end. TPG reported on this today: https://thepointsguy.com/news/potent...ne-fee-credit/
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by airbusfan87
.... purchase 5 500-mile upgrades for $200 on my American Express Platinum card and receive my $200 statement credit.....!
I’d suggest reviewing this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tml?styleid=24

Most reports seem to say no, with a possible exception for purchasing from a kiosk at the airport.

Last edited by mia; Feb 13, 2019 at 5:49 am Reason: Add quotation for context after merge.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:29 pm

Purchased AA Gift Card Amex Aspire No Reimburse yet

I purchased an AA gift card online for $100 with Amex Hilton Aspire on January 31. Still no reimbursement (Feb 12). Coded as Misc. Fee/taxes. Should I worry?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by dongwenxuan
AMEX Gold
Purchased $100 AA eGC
01/15 posted
not reimbursed yet
anything I can do to get the reimbursement?
The transaction was classified as "Travel - Airline" and the document type was "MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)" the detail had a passenger name, a date of departure, and a ticket number.
Still no reimbursement as of today, almost 30 days now. Should I buy another $100 eGC or should I chat with Amex to find out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.