Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:46 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milaohu
$200 doesn't work.
How do you know?

I don't know about $150. But even if I knew it had worked for me, I couldn't say that it would work for you. I know that $12x worked for me, just over a week ago, but that's no guarantee that it will work for anyone else.

I suspect that charges *sometimes* get flagged to be checked by a human before reimbursement is approved. I suspect that those humans are less likely to pull up all the details of a transaction if the card account is active. My gift card purchases were surrounded by other airline purchases, which I suspect gives me more leeway than people whose only transactions are those they want reimbursed, by reducing the likelihood of charges being flagged for inspection and reducing the extent of any checking that does occur. But I'm only speculating.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by milaohu
I known $100 AA GC works, $200 doesn't work. How about $150?
Originally Posted by IMH
How do you know?
By reading reports like this one:

Originally Posted by dan88
so another DP - ordered 2 $100 gift cards, but messed up and did it on the same order which posted to amex as $200 AA MISC SALE. Realized my mistake, and placed another 2 orders for 100 each. The $100 orders got reimbursed , even though they were placed after the $200, so looks like another DP that over $100 will not be reimbursed.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:02 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by mia
By reading reports like this one:
There are indeed many reports indicating that it's wise to keep purchases to $100 or below. But it would be wrong to conclude that there's a firm rule that "over $100 will not be reimbursed".
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:19 pm
mia

Originally Posted by IMH
...it would be wrong to conclude that there's a firm rule that "over $100 will not be reimbursed".
Agreed, although that's not what milaohu wrote.

I think we have sufficient data to "know" that $100 (or less) is reliably reimbursed, and that $200 is seldom reimbursed. We do not have many reports of intermediate amounts. Your report is appreciated.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:28 pm
IMH

I'll be buying my 2017 AA gift cards soon and, as long as I have other airline purchases, will experiment.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IMH
I'll be buying my 2017 AA gift cards soon and, as long as I have other airline purchases, will experiment.
I assume you will have use for the $150 even if it doesn't get reimbursed so thank you for experimenting and reporting back. It's what makes this site work. ^
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
2017 success

My $100 AA gift card that I purchased on Jan 1 was reimbursed this a.m. Going in for round two now
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:20 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Success as well.

Purchased two gift cards on Jan 1st. One for $90 and the other for $60. Reimbursed on Jan 3rd.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:00 am
mia

Moderator action

2015 -2016 reports archived HERE.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Got my credit

I bought 4x $50 gift cards on 1/1, and the credit was there this AM on 1/4. ^
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG
Switched my airline from Delta to American on Jan 1st then purchased a $100 AA gift card. Transaction posed on Jan 2 and reimbursement on Jan 3.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:21 am

Another report of success. 1x$100 on PRG, 1x$100 on Plat purchased 1/1, posted 1/3, travel credit posted today but dated 1/3.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:30 am

Just purchased 2x100 on separate transactions. Will notify when posted.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH
Success with $100 on Platinum. Doing one more round as well as the PRG.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by bgalakazam
Success with $100 on Platinum. Doing one more round as well as the PRG.
Are you buying electronic cards or physical? Just wondering if there's a difference when it comes to the credit being applied.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.