Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphs
Would I be able to use a BXP1 to upgrade a segment and then credit that segment to BA?
You don't even need an AA account to use a BXP1 upgrade.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mvoight
If booking on aa.com, it can be in your profile.
That's true, but it's because the BE number is associated with your online account, not intrinsically your AA number. Your AA number being on a reservation in no way guarantees or even makes it likely that your BE number will be added. (I say this fairly confidently, having experienced all possible combinations of this many times.)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisremo
That's true, but it's because the BE number is associated with your online account, not intrinsically your AA number. Your AA number being on a reservation in no way guarantees or even makes it likely that your BE number will be added. (I say this fairly confidently, having experienced all possible combinations of this many times.)
No, it is because there is an option in the Aadvantage profile to add the BE number to your AA profile.. So, it is there whenever books on aa.com after I have added the number to their profile.
The only flight not automatically getting the BE credit have been the ones NOT booked on AA.com, or booked before I added the number to a specific AA profile.
The BE site, does have the option to put the AAdvantage number for the travelers in your company. You get the automatic credit when you add the BE acct number into their AAdvantage profiles
akcae likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mvoight
No, it is because there is an option in the Aadvantage profile to add the BE number to your AA profile.. So, it is there whenever books on aa.com after I have added the number to their profile.
The only flight not automatically getting the BE credit have been the ones NOT booked on AA.com, or booked before I added the number to a specific AA profile.
The BE site, does have the option to put the AAdvantage number for the travelers in your company. You get the automatic credit when you add the BE acct number into their AAdvantage profiles
I think we're saying the same thing. Your examples seem to confirm my point that your BE number is only automatically added when the flight is booked through your online AA.com account, as opposed to just having your AAdvantage number on it.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I just found a couple flights didn't post that my wife (business owner) and son (employee) took that were paid for using Citi TYP points. They earned miles, but no Business Extra points. I tried submitting a credit request but it tells me "Ticket Number entered is not valid for Business Extra Credit" when I hit 'submit'. This was an AA flight (SFO-JFK) and was even upgraded using a BXP1. Do I have to call or are these types of tickets bought with 'points as cash' really not eligible for credit?
Also, my daughter and I were on the same flight, but ours were not paid with Citi TYP and they earned BE points just fine.
Just to follow up, after I corrected my copy-n-paste issues I submitted the TYP booked flights for credit. I am happy to report that BE points were subsequently awarded, despite the 'special fare' booking. ^
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:57 pm
amm

Apologies if this is in the thread -- did a quick search and didn't find anything.

If I've done my math right, I'll have enough points to redeem for a year long Admirals Club membership when all my January flights are credited to my BE account in a few days. If I redeem the 3k points, does anyone know how long that takes to be reflected on my account and when I could start taking advantage of it? I have some travel scheduled for the end of February and it'd be nice to start taking advantage right away (and ugh, I didn't even mean to make that pun sorry).

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
How long are BXP1 passes taking to arrive?

I ordered 3 BXP1 passes on January 30. They havent arrived yet on 2/9. Should I be concerned? I ordered them in the past and got them in about a week.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by kpott
I ordered 3 BXP1 passes on January 30. They havent arrived yet on 2/9. Should I be concerned? I ordered them in the past and got them in about a week.
Mine took about 10 days, so I would say no, give it a few more days.
kpott likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kpott
I think they're also a little backed up. I ordered some on Jan. 9 and they took two weeks to arrive. I called the BusinessExtra Customer Service line, and the agent told me that the problem was that they ran out of literal certificates for a few days and had to get more printed.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by JBauer
Any help is appreciated, please. I am a CK. I do NOT own my own business. I do work at a large firm and am responsible for the travel schedules of many people on my team (I do not literally book their travel, bit i often decide who goes where and for how long)...I was sent a link and signed up for an account. Is that OK? Or is this ONLY for those people who literally own their own business?

SOrry, i looked at the wiki and searched here. If this has been reported please just point me in the right direction.

thanks
Sorry I just saw this. My brother in law was the business manager for a very large firm in an AA hub. He set up the BE account for the company and all the AA flights went through the BE account. He was, with the blessing of the firm, the beneficiary of the points. However, it was not enough to get him to CK. So it sounds like you could do that.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by amm
Apologies if this is in the thread -- did a quick search and didn't find anything.

If I've done my math right, I'll have enough points to redeem for a year long Admirals Club membership when all my January flights are credited to my BE account in a few days. If I redeem the 3k points, does anyone know how long that takes to be reflected on my account and when I could start taking advantage of it? I have some travel scheduled for the end of February and it'd be nice to start taking advantage right away (and ugh, I didn't even mean to make that pun sorry).

Thanks!
I am adding to this question. I searched the thread and did not find a recent answer. Does an annual Admirals Club pass work like gifting gold? For instance it is well known that gifting gold status is best after July 1 so the beneficiary gets 19 months of gold status. Does the AC redemption work the same way? The only answers I found were from 2015.

thanks in advance for the answer.

Last edited by boerne; Feb 11, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've got two BXP1s waitlisted for a LAX/JFK flight later this week. AA.com is showing "Standby flight" above my flight info with "Class: Business," but our economy seats. I've never waitlisted a BXP1 before — is this standard? Under "Upgrade your trip" it still says 500-mile upgrades.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by boerne
I am adding to this question. I searched the thread and did not find a recent answer. Does an annual Admirals Club pass work like gifting gold? For instance it is well known that gifting gold status is best after July 1 so the beneficiary gets 19 months of gold status. Does the AC redemption work the same way? The only answers I found were from 2015.

thanks in advance for the answer.
The regular paid AC membership is on 12-month term, and i'd expect that redemption for it works the same well, for 12 months from redemption. There is no membership calendar year.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
correct! Even if you let say lapse your AA Club membership by a month, the renewal will be backdated. Let say your membership expired Jan.3 2018 and you have ordered renewal on Jan 30 2018. Your new membership will be valid through Jan. 3 2019.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:24 am

Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.