Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Is it possible to use 2 BXP1 certificates to go from coach to business to first on a JFK-LAX transcon if there is C and A space available?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by kjm12898
Is it possible to use 2 BXP1 certificates to go from coach to business to first on a JFK-LAX transcon if there is C and A space available?
No.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Points Expiry

One of my upgrade certificates will expire in a month.
How can I know the original points expiry date before I return the upgrade certificate?
Can the BE customer service tell me if I call and ask?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:57 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Double BE points to Spain promo:

Limited time bonus offer

Earn double Business Extra points when you fly nonstop between Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), New York City Area (EWR, LGA, JFK), Los Angeles (LAX), Philadelphia (PHL), Miami (MIA), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), and Spain.

Earn double points

For each eligible flight during the offer period, your company will earn double Business Extra points:
  • Register for the promotion between December 11, 2017 and February 28, 2018 with the promotion code SPAIN17
  • Complete qualifying travel between December 11, 2017 and February 28, 2018 between Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), New York Area (EWR, LGA, JFK), Los Angeles (LAX), Philadelphia (PHL), Miami (MIA), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), and Spain

https://businessextra.com/i18n/conte...rs/SPAIN17.jsp
fedechat likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Okay - I'm sure this is in the thread someplace but I could not find it....

I have Business Extra points expiring on 12/31/17. Can I redeem for a RT certificate, say North Am. to Europe, and then make the actual reservation sometime later during 2018, or do I need to actually make a (changeable) award redemption before 12/31/17?? In other words can I bank the certificate for the 12-months it is valid and not use it until I decide on flights? Saw the info below in the Wiki....
  • Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking.... Quote:
    Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
(BTW the first call I made to Meeting Services said no, must book the ticket before 12/31/17....)
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:06 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by pfbloom

I have Business Extra points expiring on 12/31/17. Can I redeem for a RT certificate, say North Am. to Europe, and then make the actual reservation sometime later during 2018, or do I need to actually make a (changeable) award redemption before 12/31/17?? In other words can I bank the certificate for the 12-months it is valid and not use it until I decide on flights? Saw the info below in the Wiki....
  • Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking.... Quote:
(BTW the first call I made to Meeting Services said no, must book the ticket before 12/31/17....)
Yes. If you redeem your points today, then the certificate issued will expire one year from the date in which you redeem. You must book travel before the award certificate expires. In theory, you can get an award certificate today, and wait until 30 December 2018 to book travel for some time in 2019.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:11 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by pfbloom

Also refer to this:

Q: How far in advance of travel can I confirm flight award travel?
A: Flight award reservations may be booked to 330 days in advance. Reservations confirmed 14 or more days before flight departure can be placed on hold for up to 5 days. If you book your flights less than 14 days prior to departure, we will hold the reservation for 48 hours to allow you to have the ticket issued.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am curious has anyone ever got business extra points when booking tickets through TYP or AAVacations?

How do the points credit? Do they credit based on percentage similar with EQD since they don't know the fare paid or if they can't compute the fare we don't get any credit?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by kjm12898
no
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am curious has anyone ever got business extra points when booking tickets through TYP or AAVacations?

How do the points credit? Do they credit based on percentage similar with EQD since they don't know the fare paid or if they can't compute the fare we don't get any credit?
Yep, TYP, I don’t recall on what basis they credited.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321
If I read the wiki correctly, to extend points I cannot use before they expire, I can request an upgrade certificate. Example: points expiring at the end of this year, request an upgrade cert, can use it anytime in 2018. (I understand I need to purchase B, N, O, Q or S)

Is that correct?

Not ideal, but if I cannot use them any other way, is this a reasonable use?

(And if this against AA rules, please tell me. I don't want to break a rule.)
If you are referring to BXP1, it states "(Fare basis codes starting with B, N, O, Q or S are not eligible for this upgrade.)"
That is the complete opposite of your statement "I understand I need to purchase B, N, O, Q or S"
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mvoight
If you are referring to BXP1, it states "(Fare basis codes starting with B, N, O, Q or S are not eligible for this upgrade.)"
That is the complete opposite of your statement "I understand I need to purchase B, N, O, Q or S"
I'm guessing he means that he understands that he needs to purchase fare other than.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:24 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Can some of you share your experiences on how long does it take for BXP1 certificates to arrive in the mail?

I put in my redemption request for 7x certificates on 12/24 and to this date still have not received anything.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Can some of you share your experiences on how long does it take for BXP1 certificates to arrive in the mail?

I put in my redemption request for 7x certificates on 12/24 and to this date still have not received anything.

Thanks!

That's a lot longer than it's taken for my upgrade certificates to arrive. I'd give BE a call.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat
Any recent experience that PlanAhead award with EXP on the reservation can be modified (change date or cancel the trip to be used for another) for free?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.