FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-extraa-program-master-thread.html)

EU-US Nov 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/am...m-changes.html

Oh well. There goes AA's frequent flyer program down the drain.

4 SWUs for EXPs instead of 8.

Most awards will cost more.

Off-peak period for awards is cut back.

Elite membership year is a month shorter.

An EXP will earn less miles on a transatlantic discount economy ticket than a non-elite currently earns on the same ticket. On transatlantic routes, for a non-elite, the miles earned will be about 75% less than what they used to be.

The only difference left between AA and the other crappy programs now is that AA's is not completely as terrible as all the others, only almost. Thanks American, I feel SOOOOO special now.

ckpeter Jan 1, 2017 9:48 pm

Is it just me or did AA raise the price for Gold nomination? I recall it used to be 2400 points, but now its 3200 points listed.

texmanufan Jan 1, 2017 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 27690763)
Is it just me or did AA raise the price for Gold nomination? I recall it used to be 2400 points, but now its 3200 points listed.

I have redeemed this a couple of times in the past for employees. I believe you are correct.

econometrics Jan 2, 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 27690763)

Wow... 800 more points for a status even more worthless than it was one year ago.

Because that makes sense to the consumer... :confused:

ralphs Jan 2, 2017 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 27693402)
Wow... 800 more points for a status even more worthless than it was one year ago.

Because that makes sense to the consumer... :confused:

It seems to me that every frequent flyer program has been devalued as the economy has improved quite a bit. I don't see a compelling superior alternative to Business Extraa unfortunately.

chrisremo Jan 4, 2017 1:03 am

Originally Posted by chrisremo (Post 27570956)
I just called Business Extra to try and redeem two BXP1 certificates for two passengers (including myself) flying SFO-JFK in February. The agent said there was availability and booked us into First. On my AA account, the flight shows us as being in First, and I am able to select seats in that cabin.

Two questions:
1. Does this seem correct? I would have expected to be booked into Business on a three-class plane. Is there any risk here?
2. Do I need to fill out all the information on the front of the certificate before arriving at the gate, or will the gate agent do that? (And if there's a risk the upgrade won't clear, should I risk filling out the certificate in ink?)

Interesting resolution to this:

A couple weeks later, I got a call from AA saying there'd been a schedule change to my flight. I called back, they said there was no change, and I was still booked into First on the same flight. I said, "So you're sure there's nothing I need to know?" and they put me on hold for a while.

When they came back, they said "Everything looks fine sir, you're booked into Business. What row would you like?"

So I think what happened was something got flagged in their system indicating we were booked into the wrong cabin, they realized it mid-call, and quietly rebooked us into Business without mentioning that was happening. I'm entirely fine with it, since that's what the BXP1 entitles us to, not First.

The interesting part is that, according to ExpertFlyer, there wasn't actually any upgrade availability before the call. I think they forced Business upgrade availability mid-call, which is why I was on hold for so long, because they didn't want to have to come back and tell me that I'd been put back into Economy, after two separate phone calls in which I was assured I'd be flying First.

sailor279 Jan 4, 2017 10:01 am

Adding BizExtra to AS reservation?

The Wiki has instructions for adding a Biz Extra number to BA reservations but does anyone know if the same can be done for bookings on Alaska Air?

chrisremo Jan 4, 2017 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by sailor279 (Post 27703483)
The Wiki has instructions for adding a Biz Extra number to BA reservations but does anyone know if the same can be done for bookings on Alaska Air?

No, Alaska has its own business rewards program, Easybiz.

DCA writer Jan 11, 2017 8:08 am

AC passes giftable?

I cashed in expiring Business Extra points to get a couple of AC passes. I'm thinking of giving one to a friend who flies a ton on AA but has no domestic lounge access. The passes themselves aren't personalized beyond a stamped number, so it seems like I could just hand him one and tell him to write his name on it before handing it over at a club. Right? Or will the lounge agents ask him for the corresponding Business Extra account number or otherwise want to know how he got the pass?

cbrown5294 Jan 11, 2017 10:44 am

Missing bonus

I flew in late May on a paid BC fare LAX-LHR-BCN and back. I registered for the BXTA16 promo that would have given me 1600 pts

I never saw the bonus post so I called in the fall and the agent said give it some more time to post so I did. I finally called last week and was told 1) my actual flights never even posted 2) I could request retroactive credit however no way to get the bonus points. I pressed that issue and she explained that they will never go back and credit any promos:confused:

Anybody had luck or advice on this? 1600 pts is a decent amount to fight over

ClimbingCook Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer (Post 27743132)
I cashed in expiring Business Extra points to get a couple of AC passes. I'm thinking of giving one to a friend who flies a ton on AA but has no domestic lounge access. The passes themselves aren't personalized beyond a stamped number, so it seems like I could just hand him one and tell him to write his name on it before handing it over at a club. Right? Or will the lounge agents ask him for the corresponding Business Extra account number or otherwise want to know how he got the pass?

Your friend should be fine, they don't ask at all.

txpenny Jan 20, 2017 11:54 am

Has December posted?

CNMAZ Jan 20, 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 27792615)
Has December posted?

Nothing has posted as of today.

shihyin Jan 21, 2017 7:01 am

Originally Posted by CNMAZ (Post 27792625)
Nothing has posted as of today.

Just saw December posted today.

billgrates3 Jan 21, 2017 8:26 am

flight posted but zero BE credit ??

Two of my colleagues flew from SFO to TPA in December. There flights just posted to BE, but both got zero BE points credited. And the BE website says "N/A" under disqualification as it usually does. See screen shot below.

Can anyone explain this?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/488/32...288bfee9_z.jpg