Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive for posts relating to Business Extra (nee Business ExtrAA) since 2008.

The current, active Business Extra thread is Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLT

Hi all!

I have some expiring Business ExtrAA points I have to cash in before the end of the year. This will be the first time I have cashed in any points associated with this program, so I am looking for some advice on which awards are most valuable. I have:

710 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2008
1,434 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2009
2,048 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2010

4,192 total points.

The only awards under the 710 point minimum that expires this year are north american upgrade, which being PT does not seem worth while. I was considering the full fare upgrade between US and Europe or the PlanAAhead economy ticket within US. How hard is it to get the PlanAAhead seats? I think we would all agree these are pretty expensive awards considering its $10/point, but I guess it's a good way to double dip. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread has been hijacked into a general Business ExtrAA discussion / Q&A thread.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Dec 23, 2013 at 3:25 pm Reason: moving Mod Note to wikipost
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:00 pm
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
If they were my points, I'd take a planAAhead award. Don't let them go to waste.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The only thing I use BusinessExtraa points for is AC Daypasses. They make great gifts are and are fully transferrable until you write the name on the pass!

(also works great for family/friends who are not AC members or are elites but travel domestically)
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akersnl
Hi all!

I have some expiring Business ExtrAA points I have to cash in before the end of the year. This will be the first time I have cashed in any points associated with this program, so I am looking for some advice on which awards are most valuable. I have:

710 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2008
1,434 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2009
2,048 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2010

4,192 total points.

The only awards under the 710 point minimum that expires this year are north american upgrade, which being PT does not seem worth while. I was considering the full fare upgrade between US and Europe or the PlanAAhead economy ticket within US. How hard is it to get the PlanAAhead seats? I think we would all agree these are pretty expensive awards considering its $10/point, but I guess it's a good way to double dip. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick
You can use for a domestic award whenever Milesaaver seats are available. You can check on AA.com.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I got home 3 hours ago from a free flight off Business Extra points. It was only SNA-SFO (RT) because I let myself get jammed into the end of the year, but it worked fine and saved me a few hundred dollars.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:00 pm

Don't forget that you can always redeem 2400 points for a gift of gold status. It may come in handy for yourself or one of your friends.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Don't forget that you can always redeem 2400 points for a gift of gold status. It may come in handy for yourself or one of your friends.
I was also considering this, but it seems you have to submit the recepients AAdvantage number for it to be redeemed. It would be much nicer if it was a certificate that could be given to someone as a gift instead.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:22 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
I just used 4400 for SFO-EZE. great trip and availability wasn't too difficult. Do you have more points waiting to post?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The BXP2 award upgrading from US to Europe is a good deal for 1200 points. Requires a B or Y fare, but no co-pay, and as Platinum you should be able to use them on most flights (may have to waitlist but it usually clears).
Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:48 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

AC day pass is what I did last year...then I lost it.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
The only thing I use BusinessExtraa points for is AC Daypasses. They make great gifts are and are fully transferrable until you write the name on the pass!

(also works great for family/friends who are not AC members or are elites but travel domestically)
This is how I use my points! I keep a few in my wallet for domestic use (since Intl I dont need them) and/or give them to friends and family - they love them!

Enjoy!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:00 pm

Newbie question, how does one get Business ExtrAA points?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qazw1
Newbie question, how does one get Business ExtrAA points?
Sign up for Business ExtrAA, then enter your Business ExtrAA number in the Business ExtrAA field when you book your tickets.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What about the free domestic tickets? or an upgrade to Europe for 3100?

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 13, 2008 at 11:49 pm
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by gemac
Sign up for Business ExtrAA, then enter your Business ExtrAA number in the Business ExtrAA field when you book your tickets.
Thanks.

Seems like I have to be a company in order to sign up. So no go for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.